Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

safetyobc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 6, 2007
Arkansas
I am thinking of getting an Apple TV. I will have a wireless network in my home, but not a dedicated Mac for the ATV. Will it still function correctly? I have a MBP but it won't be on all the time to serve the ATV.

Thanks

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
Have you got a dedicated computer at all? Or do you want to run it without.

To be honest I'm 99% sure either will be fine, you don't have to have your computer at home all the time to use an iPod.

safetyobc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 6, 2007
Arkansas
I guess what I am asking is can I use my movie collection, put it on the Apple TV and not have a computer connected 100% of the time.

Also, can you subscribe to podcasts directly on the ATV or does that work through your computer?

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
^^ I'm not sure.

I should add that I don't actually own an Apple TV, and when I saw one used it was hacked so it could use an external HD (and Perian etc)

neven

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2006
Portland, OR
I guess what I am asking is can I use my movie collection, put it on the Apple TV and not have a computer connected 100% of the time.

Yes. Just make sure the movies are actually synced to the AppleTV (the alternative is to stream them from the computer - most people do both).

You can then take this AppleTV to a friend's place, or to a hotel, or whatever - it will work when you hook it up to a TV. This goes for music and all other media.

Also, can you subscribe to podcasts directly on the ATV or does that work through your computer?

Once you find a podcast you like on AppleTV, you can "Add it to favorites". This isn't quite like a subscription because you'll still need to click over to that podcast to see the newest episodes. It's kind of like setting up your favorite channels on your TV.

safetyobc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 6, 2007
Arkansas
Can I rip my DVDs to my MBP. Then transfer them to the ATV. Then delete them from my MBP to save HD space on the MBP? That is ultimately what I want to do.

neven

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2006
Portland, OR
Can I rip my DVDs to my MBP. Then transfer them to the ATV. Then delete them from my MBP to save HD space on the MBP? That is ultimately what I want to do.

I think the deleted movies will stay on the AppleTV until the next time it syncs. When it syncs, it'll basically go, "oh, that movie's gone. Guess they didn't like it. Ok, deleting it from the AppleTV as well."

Same thing the iPod does. iPod will warn you if it contains an Apple-purchased file which can't be found on the computer; I'm not sure if AppleTV will do the same.

tom1971

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2007

To do that, you need to patch your ATV. You will then be able to remotely access your ATV through your network without having to synchronize it using iTunes.
Contact me if you have qustions.

Cheers,

Tom

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
If you are serious about building a library with Apple TV, invest in an external hard drive. Any films you rip, put them on the external hard drive and then sync them to the Apple TV. You can't take any media off the Apple TV's hard drive easily, so it is essential you keep a backup.

I use my MacBook Pro as the dedicated Mac for my Apple TV. I have all my TV Shows and Movies stored on an external hard drive plugged into my Airport Extreme. I have over 300GB's of movies, so I stream the rest that aren't synced to my Apple TV. All I do is open up iTunes on my MacBook Pro and connect to the AirDisk and bingo, all works.

tom1971

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2007
If you are serious about building a library with Apple TV, invest in an external hard drive. Any films you rip, put them on the external hard drive and then sync them to the Apple TV. You can't take any media off the Apple TV's hard drive easily, so it is essential you keep a backup.

I use my MacBook Pro as the dedicated Mac for my Apple TV. I have all my TV Shows and Movies stored on an external hard drive plugged into my Airport Extreme. I have over 300GB's of movies, so I stream the rest that aren't synced to my Apple TV. All I do is open up iTunes on my MacBook Pro and connect to the AirDisk and bingo, all works.

Instead of syncing again from an external HDD you can enable the USB port on your ATV and plug in a hard drive directly into your ATV.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Instead of syncing again from an external HDD you can enable the USB port on your ATV and plug in a hard drive directly into your ATV.

By hacking of course...most methods which void the warranty.

tom1971

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2007
By hacking of course...most methods which void the warranty.

Right, but the software hack / Patch does not void it as you can always do a Factory Restore.
I just installed the USB hack to my ATV, it works like a breeze. :)

ejrizo

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Right, but the software hack / Patch does not void it as you can always do a Factory Restore.

sorry to be a bother but can you show me how to do this??? i really need to know... if i can figure this out and do this... i will be buying one after WWDC....and does it work with the Apple 2.0 software or Take Two?

Thank you ... i appreciate your time

safetyobc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 6, 2007
Arkansas

Please PM me with info no how to do this. If this is possible, I will likely be buying an ATV very soon.

I also like the idea of the external HDD and airport extreme. I may give that a whirl, but I would have to aquire an airport extreme :(

Thanks,

safetyobc

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.