Apple TV

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Stevies3, Mar 20, 2013.

1. macrumors member

Mar 26, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    With Apple TV can I stream a DVD movie on my laptop to my TV thru wifi? I don't own a DVD player and would use my laptop as the player.
  2. macrumors 6502

Jun 15, 2012
    No. Unless Jailbroken, the AppleTV can only stream from a file that is stored in iTunes.

Even if Jailbroken, I do not believe you can stream from a DVD.
  3. macrumors 603

Feb 15, 2009
    Toronto, Canada
    Convert the DVD movie to ATV format using Handbrake. Add the resulting .m4v to iTunes and you can AirPlay or HomeShare to the ATV.
  4. macrumors 603

Aug 4, 2011
    1. Rip
    2. Encode with Handbrake
    3. Stream from iTunes to AppleTV
  5. thread starter macrumors member

Mar 26, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    I guess I'll revert back to HDMI cable as a direct link.
  6. wzz
    macrumors member

Mar 20, 2013
    [(say) if ur computer happens to be a Mac capable of Airplay - mirroring]
    You could play the movie on your computer and mirror it to the ATV.
  7. macrumors 6502a

Feb 16, 2008
    Yes, absolutely you can.

You just need to start playing the DVD movie on the laptop, and then mirror the screen to your Apple TV using Airplay.

If your laptop is a PC: Use AirParrot. (
    If your laptop is a Mac: If you are running Leopard, Snow Leopard, or Lion, use AirParrot. If you are running Mountain Lion, use Airplay Mirroring.
  8. macrumors regular

Mar 17, 2013
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Yes, you can. If your laptop is a newer model you can airplay it directly from your computer.

Also what i do a lot is to have plex app on my laptop and plex app on my ipad and i airplay from my iPad.

There are probably other possibles but this is what i do
  9. macrumors 68040

Sep 24, 2010
    This is perfect advice. :)
  10. macrumors 68020

Mar 15, 2012
    Older macs (duo core) have a difficult time with Airparrot, as transcoding to h.264 on the fly is a CPU intensive operation for movies. Early multicore macs that cannot Airplay usually do better. And later model multicore macs with Airplay capability do not need Airparrot. So, depending on your Mac, your mileage with Airparrot my vary. If you opt to go that route, I would strongly suggest you use the free trial, and really challenge it with the actual media you are wanting to stream, before purchasing it.
  11. macrumors 6502a

Oct 29, 2006
    Yes - I did this the other night - use MPlayerX or some DVD Player (not the built in one) and AirPlay mirror that display - looks and sounds great