Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dc2006ster

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 9, 2011
Alberta, Canada
My first Apple was a ][ and have continued to buy Apple products so I am aware of the value of Apple products. The ATV4 is appealing but I am wondering what it would give me that I cannot get with my PS3.

I am not a gamer, I use the PS3 as a media centre. I run Plex, Netflix, Youtube, BBC iPlayer, and Channel 4 apps. I also play the occasional BlueRay movie. The PS3 is connected to my Apple Extreme Router via Powerline adapters. My grandkids would play some of the AppStore games and the interface is very nice on the ATV4 but other than that what would the ATV4 give me that I do not have with the PS3?

I also have a chromecast that I use to watch iTV player from chrome on my iPad2.

I have given some thought to getting a Mac mini but it seems like overkill.

Thanks

Last edited:

ZeChild

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2012
Glasgow, UK
I agree try them both out. I have both and apart from being a sturdy games console I've found the media content to be reduced on the PS3 compared with the level of content the ATV4 provided theres about a decade of difference (not counting updates) to when they were released. The PS3 is still a solid blu ray player but that's about the only advantage it has over the ATV4.

That's why I love my ATV4. Airplay from my Mac is great and I've got iTunes Match so I can access my full music library. I've tried using the now TV app on the PS3 & PS4 and found that streaming was an issue the playback stuttered all the time, while the ATV4 Now TV app could be improved on it provided far better performance.

I've found that I use the ATV4 for media content and the PS4 for gaming and blu ray's. The only slight disappointment is the lack of 4K support on both the ATV4 & PS4 but since that's still not that wide spread and my TV upscales 1080p up to an approximation of 4k it's not that much of a loss.

Still love my PS3 it's a first gen still rolling along but relegated to the bedroom as a blu ray player now.

Last edited:

Sakurambo-kun

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2015
UK
From a UK perspective the PS3 is far superior to the Apple TV, there's really no contest. The PS3 gives you all the UK catchup apps, as well as Amazon, Netflix, and Now TV. All are full fat versions with all the trimmings. By contrast the Apple TV only has a severely gimped version of iPlayer (which lacks even a favourites list), a mildly gimped version of Netflix, and the worst, most bare bones Now TV app ever created. Even YouTube on the ATV4 is bad, and as for siri, forget it, it's basically US only. It also seems unlikely at this point that there will ever be an Amazon Prime app for the ATV.

It's a dud, a dead platform. Avoid it and use your PS3.

Reactions: Dc2006ster

TonyK

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2009
Buying both and testing them may seem great until $$$ is factored in. Then add any re-stocking fees and buying both and trying is not within the means of some people.

Unlike software that has a free trial license, hardware is generally not considered a buy, try and return product.

Dc2006ster

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 9, 2011
Alberta, Canada
As suggested, I took an Apple TV 4 home on trial. My experience mirrors the comments made by Sakurambo-kun. The PS3 is far superior in terms of UK TV apps which are very important for me. The combination of the Netflix, Youtube, Plex (for my iTunes music and for photos) and UK TV apps meets all my needs. The only app missing is iTV player which I access from my Mac thru Chromecast.

The interface of the ATV4 is superior and it all works very nicely but I returned the AppleTV4 for a full refund, no questions asked, no restocking fee. Thanks to everyone for their input.

benjitek

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2012
Buying both and testing them may seem great until $$$ is factored in. Then add any re-stocking fees and buying both and trying is not within the means of some people.
Unlike software that has a free trial license, hardware is generally not considered a buy, try and return product.
I guess that depends on where you are...? In the US, I can buy either at Best Buy, Amazon, Target, Walmart, etc and return them within 14-30 days for a full refund. No restocking fees that you mentioned.

BeefCake 15

macrumors 68020
May 15, 2015
As suggested, I took an Apple TV 4 home on trial. My experience mirrors the comments made by Sakurambo-kun. The PS3 is far superior in terms of UK TV apps which are very important for me. The combination of the Netflix, Youtube, Plex (for my iTunes music and for photos) and UK TV apps meets all my needs. The only app missing is iTV player which I access from my Mac thru Chromecast.

The interface of the ATV4 is superior and it all works very nicely but I returned the AppleTV4 for a full refund, no questions asked, no restocking fee. Thanks to everyone for their input.

The electricity requirement difference of both is very noticeable on your bill..

aced411

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2007
My first Apple was a ][ and have continued to buy Apple products so I am aware of the value of Apple products. The ATV4 is appealing but I am wondering what it would give me that I cannot get with my PS3.

I am not a gamer, I use the PS3 as a media centre. I run Plex, Netflix, Youtube, BBC iPlayer, and Channel 4 apps. I also play the occasional BlueRay movie. The PS3 is connected to my Apple Extreme Router via Powerline adapters. My grandkids would play some of the AppStore games and the interface is very nice on the ATV4 but other than that what would the ATV4 give me that I do not have with the PS3?

I also have a chromecast that I use to watch iTV player from chrome on my iPad2.

Thanks

Depends if streaming is your primary method of watching TV. The PS3 is a fine streaming device in most respects but it's end of life. Besides it being a power hog and underpowered by today's standards, the app selection is extremely limited compared to Apple TV. Heck even with Plex on PS3 you're limited to just DLNA. You might be better off with a dedicated streaming device. It doesn't have to be Apple TV. You can pick up a Roku 2 for $50-$60 and still be better off with way more apps, less energy consumption, ongoing software enhancements and a dedicated Plex app.

That being stated, the PS3 will probably keep working for at least a few more years so it's really not that big of deal if you don't feel like blowing cash.

LiveM

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2015
I would wait a month and get the PS4 Slim. You can get the VR headset later but it will play 4k Blu-Ray discs.

Dc2006ster

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 9, 2011
Alberta, Canada
Thanks again to those who have given their input.

I agree that the range of PS3 apps is limited but that is not a concern for me. I only want a few UK TV apps and in that case the PS3 is superior to the ATV4. Having hundreds of apps is irrelevant if it does not have the 3 or 4 that I want.

Plex actually has a dedicated PS3 app so it is not limited to DLNA.

As to the power consumption, the PS3 is used a couple of hours a day at most and the power consumption at idle is similar to that of the ATV4 (0.36W cf 0.32W ) so that is not a concern. When not in use I turn off the PS3 system.

4k blu-ray, VR or games are not an issue. The only game that gets played is my granddaughter playing little big planet 2. The PS3 can play blu rays that I get free from the library and that is another advantage it has over the ATV4.

So overall it was fun to try out the ATV4 but the PS3 does the job I want it to do and I am happy to stay with it.

aced411

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2007
Thanks again to those who have given their input.

I agree that the range of PS3 apps is limited but that is not a concern for me. I only want a few UK TV apps and in that case the PS3 is superior to the ATV4. Having hundreds of apps is irrelevant if it does not have the 3 or 4 that I want.

Plex actually has a dedicated PS3 app so it is not limited to DLNA.

As to the power consumption, the PS3 is used a couple of hours a day at most and the power consumption at idle is similar to that of the ATV4 (0.36W cf 0.32W ) so that is not a concern. When not in use I turn off the PS3 system.

4k blu-ray, VR or games are not an issue. The only game that gets played is my granddaughter playing little big planet 2. The PS3 can play blu rays that I get free from the library and that is another advantage it has over the ATV4.

So overall it was fun to try out the ATV4 but the PS3 does the job I want it to do and I am happy to stay with it.

Sounds like a reasonable conclusion, but just to correct the record Plex does NOT have a PS3 app. There is a PS4 app, but not a PS3 app. If someone can prove me wrong that's great.

aced411

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2007
Wow I wonder when that came out? Ok I missed the boat on that one. Thanks for the info.

Vermifuge

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2009

Thanks

One thing to consider is the PS3 is a power vampire.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.