Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

roratus

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2010
NAZI Occupied Florida
What is with all the "internal Apple support documents" lately? I hope Steve figures out who the employee is that is leaking these documents and crucifies him.

Mistrblank

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2010
The dock connector sensor on my iPhone is tripped, never been wet, never been in the bathroom while I'm showering, I go to extreme lengths to make sure it's in the right pocket when going out in the rain. I don't use it with workouts, I don't live in an overly humid environment (NJ, sometimes summers are humid, but not enough to be out of environmental spec) I just talk with it and sit it on my desk... and it's tripped. The sensor in the headphone jack is still white as can be.

I don't know when or why it tripped, but I suspect the fact that you TALK IN TO THAT END OF THE PHONE AND YOUR OWN BREATH IS FILLED WITH MOISTURE MIGHT HAVE SOMETHING TO DO WITH IT!

Sorry for that outburst, but it was the same thing with these stupid strips. The battery strip on my old xv6700 phone had tripped and the strip on the phone itself which is basically right next to it was still white as could be. No logical reason I can think of for it to happen either.

Fortunately I've never had any defects with my phone and rounding out the end of my two year contract, if I have an incident I know I can already upgrade (though I want to wait for next June if at all possible).

Cptmiek

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2007
Kansas
They've been doing this with the iPhones since about this time last year. There are two indicators inside that a genius will look at if there's question, but the iPods aren't taken apart in the store so a genius can't check inside of an iPod, like they can an iPhone. I wonder what further inspection means in this case, if they can't take it apart what are they looking for?

res1233

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Cougarcat said:
And people who live in humid clients can get the support they paid for.

Haha, gotta love autocorrect.

And you're saying that there are no people who chose to dwell within humid clients? How odd.

res1233

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

swingerofbirch said:
Once water dries, how can you detect it by inspection? What visible damage would it leave behind?

The idea behind this might be just to make it easier for people to get coverage.

apple1990

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2010
Once water dries, how can you detect it by inspection? What visible damage would it leave behind?

not sure about ipods but think it would be similar to iPhone.

There are 4 sensors on the iPhone and if one is tripped (gone red) then the two in inside are looked at and if they are red then you know its water damage. Its funny I've seen people swear blindly that their iPhone hasn't been near water and then you look inside and its really badly corroded and needless to say the sensors have gone off!

apple1990

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2010
What is with all the "internal Apple support documents" lately? I hope Steve figures out who the employee is that is leaking these documents and crucifies him.

as I keep saying its nearly impossible for this person to be caught, I just hope someone catches him/her in the act.

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004

Posted on Macrumors. Gawd knows how some of you people reckon information other than publicity puffs get into the open without indiscretion on someone's part.

lkrupp

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2004
So now clumsy people can waste more of Apple's time?

It's a shame that Apple and other companies have been forced to do this by dishonest, unscrupulous users. I'm betting that fraudulent warranty claims are rampant in the electronic device industry. It is no different from the shoplifting sensors we see every day at retail stores. Unfortunately honest people get tangled up in this sordid cat and mouse game between the sellers and the thieves. I have personally listened to conversations between people discussing how they are going to get the device they dropped in the toilet replaced free of charge. They have no problem with their dishonesty and rationalize the fraud as some kind of revenge against the retailer or manufacturer.

Thermonuclear

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2009
If one knows where to look, replacement untripped water sensor pads can be purchased. Is it fraud to swap these for tripped pads? Probably, but only if the original pads were tripped by negligence and not be normal usage.

Munch

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2006
In June, I took my iPhone in to complain about the speakerphone. The Genius took out her flashlight and peeked at the indicator and said it activated. I told her it's never come into contact with water and she said she needs to take it into the back to confirm. She came back out to give me an exchange because all was clear, which it should have been.

If she just went by the indicator, it would have been a false positive. Good on them for making this a policy now.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
If one knows where to look, replacement untripped water sensor pads can be purchased. Is it fraud to swap these for tripped pads? Probably, but only if the original pads were tripped by negligence and not be normal usage.

It would be fraud if the device had water damage, and you got a replacement because the water damage wasn't found. It is "fraud" if you receive something of value by making someone believe something which is not true - in this case a repair or replacement by making the service person wrongly believe that your device never came in contact with water.

Don Kosak

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2010
Hilo, Hawaii
Never liked that the dock connector sensor was right where your humid breath blows across as you talk on the phone.

I'm moving to the US City that gets the highest amount of rainfall in a few months. I wonder if just atmospheric humidity will set these off?

None the less, it's nice to see the policy tweaked. Oh, and stop dropping your phones in the toilet people! :eek:

logandzwon

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2007
I live in SoFla and I've replaced a few iPhone due to them getting wet. I also had two iPhones' sensors trip that never got wet.

apple1990

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2010
It would be fraud if the device had water damage, and you got a replacement because the water damage wasn't found. It is "fraud" if you receive something of value by making someone believe something which is not true - in this case a repair or replacement by making the service person wrongly believe that your device never came in contact with water.

Its also easy to tell if its been opened

millertime021

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2010
AZ

The screen sometimes has water spots under the glass.

My step brother left his iPod Touch in his pants while he washed them and after he let it dry, we went to the Apple store and they gave him a brand new one.

Little bit harsh there bro. Secrets don't make friends.

More internal docs go!

ywshang

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2007
If there exists well defined consistent procedure of "checking for other signs of liquid contact" that staff might follow, there would be no need of the liquid contact indicators in the first place. How can it be any simpler than that. So if the new rule is actually adopted, it's just saying that Apple admitted in the end having LCI installed was a stupid idea.

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
Why?!

I'm *happy* someone is leaking some of this stuff, at last!

Apple keeps playing that game of "keep EVERYTHING a big secret and you'll be ahead of the competition". When you're doing product R&D, absolutely. But when you're keeping your paid CUSTOMERS in the dark about how they'll be treated if/when their product needs service? Screw that! Applecare is a fairly expensive add-on, just to get a couple of extra years of Apple warranty coverage on an item. At least for a while, they expected their sales staff to sell a certain percentage of Applecare add-ons with every product, or else they got a "talking to".

If they want me to pay for something like that, I want to know a little bit more about how the process works. Apple really likes that "Just have FAITH in us to do the right thing!" idea -- but this isn't a religion, it's a business.

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
Again though, I say so what?

If Apple was still some tiny start-up business, clawing and grasping for every possible dollar of profit to ensure their employees could get paid and business could continue to develop? I'd be right there with you, saying, "Hey... come on! Quit trying to get a repair/replacement when the product looks like it's in this kind of condition!"

But as it is? Apple sits on a huge mound of cash reserves and is more profitable than practically any other computer business in the current economy. A big reason they got this way is their promise that they provide a superior overall "user experience". By definition, that not only includes people enjoying the product, but also includes the service after the sale and an overall positive shopping experience online or in their retail stores.

A given product like an iPhone or iPod only gets a lousy 1 year warranty, by default, to start with. To get 2 more years added on, the customer has to BUY an expensive warranty upgrade. Is it that unreasonable to just go ahead and give a guy a replacement or warranty repair in that situation -- where some water sensors and corrosion show the device got wet, but the customer claims otherwise?

Fact is, the customer isn't always LYING about such things. He/she might simply have been a victim of one of their kids or a family member or buddy dropping the thing in a toilet or sink one time, fishing it out and trying to dry it off, and not telling them about it. Maybe it got left outside one time and condensation built up on it before someone remembered it was sitting out and brought it back in? (In that case, they legitimately might not have ever equated it with "water damage", if it hadn't actually rained.)

Or lastly, yeah -- the guy might be lying, simply because he/she doesn't have the money for a replacement, relies heavily on the thing, and feels like it's not "out of line" to ask Apple for a warranty swap this ONE time.

Most stores keep logs of such actions, so you can quickly eliminate the scammers who keep bringing things back in repeatedly for service, an unreasonable number of times. But in a single situation like this? The good-will Apple would generate by just taking care of it "no questions asked" is worth a lot more in the long-run than trying to save a buck on the warranty claim.

not sure about ipods but think it would be similar to iPhone.

There are 4 sensors on the iPhone and if one is tripped (gone red) then the two in inside are looked at and if they are red then you know its water damage. Its funny I've seen people swear blindly that their iPhone hasn't been near water and then you look inside and its really badly corroded and needless to say the sensors have gone off!

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
The idea is reasonable. Just do not know how support staffs distinguish direct liquid contact from humidity damage.

there are internal indicators in the touch and phone that can't be tripped by mere humidity or even rain. You would have to dunk the device and leave it for a few minutes for water to seep in to that level. So when the headphone is tripped, they look inside and if that one is clean you are okay.

the only real change is that they are extending this rule to all ipods and I suppose potentially ipads, rather than just touches and phones

apple1990

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2010
If Apple was still some tiny start-up business, clawing and grasping for every possible dollar of profit to ensure their employees could get paid and business could continue to develop? I'd be right there with you, saying, "Hey... come on! Quit trying to get a repair/replacement when the product looks like it's in this kind of condition!"

But as it is? Apple sits on a huge mound of cash reserves and is more profitable than practically any other computer business in the current economy. A big reason they got this way is their promise that they provide a superior overall "user experience". By definition, that not only includes people enjoying the product, but also includes the service after the sale and an overall positive shopping experience online or in their retail stores.

A given product like an iPhone or iPod only gets a lousy 1 year warranty, by default, to start with. To get 2 more years added on, the customer has to BUY an expensive warranty upgrade. Is it that unreasonable to just go ahead and give a guy a replacement or warranty repair in that situation -- where some water sensors and corrosion show the device got wet, but the customer claims otherwise?

Fact is, the customer isn't always LYING about such things. He/she might simply have been a victim of one of their kids or a family member or buddy dropping the thing in a toilet or sink one time, fishing it out and trying to dry it off, and not telling them about it. Maybe it got left outside one time and condensation built up on it before someone remembered it was sitting out and brought it back in? (In that case, they legitimately might not have ever equated it with "water damage", if it hadn't actually rained.)

Or lastly, yeah -- the guy might be lying, simply because he/she doesn't have the money for a replacement, relies heavily on the thing, and feels like it's not "out of line" to ask Apple for a warranty swap this ONE time.

Most stores keep logs of such actions, so you can quickly eliminate the scammers who keep bringing things back in repeatedly for service, an unreasonable number of times. But in a single situation like this? The good-will Apple would generate by just taking care of it "no questions asked" is worth a lot more in the long-run than trying to save a buck on the warranty claim.

So if I drop my iPhone I should get a replacement?

Its only £139 for the replacement which is an awful cheaper than brand new one.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I'm *happy* someone is leaking some of this stuff, at last!

Apple keeps playing that game of "keep EVERYTHING a big secret and you'll be ahead of the competition". When you're doing product R&D, absolutely. But when you're keeping your paid CUSTOMERS in the dark about how they'll be treated if/when their product needs service?

I just love comments like this. Apple doesn't keep customers in the dark. it is right in the terms and conditions that they warranty defects not accidental damage.

Almost every company has internal policies t hat are not handed out in a great big guide book to the public but only Apple gets ripped a new one. Just like Apple gets ripped one for wanting to make money, doing what they think will make them the most money even if the tiny group of geeks out there disagree and so on. Only Apple gets treated like they simply have to tell the public everything about what, when, how and why they are doing anything.

Applecare is a fairly expensive add-on, just to get a couple of extra years of Apple warranty coverage on an item.

Apple doesn't have to offer additional coverage. Legally one year is fine in most states. And you have to be joking about it being expensive, even "fairly" expensive. The highest package is $350 on a machine that starts at 5 times that. The cheapest part for those machines is probably the same amount if not more.

A given product like an iPhone or iPod only gets a lousy 1 year warranty, by default, to start with.

same as every other company. But because it's Apple it's not okay.

where some water sensors and corrosion show the device got wet, but the customer claims otherwise?

it doesn't matter who or how it got wet. sensors and especially corrosion show that it did. That it was Junior playing with the phone by the toilet is not Apple's fault. If it is so important, don't leave it where Junior can get to it. Or leave it outside, or set it on the bar by the pitcher of beer or whatever.

Most stores keep logs of such actions, so you can quickly eliminate the scammers who keep bringing things back in repeatedly for service, an unreasonable number of times.

so define 'unreasonable'. How many times do I have to neglect and abuse my whatever before Apple doesn't have to fix it at their cost. Keep in mind that there is no way in hell I'm paying for Apple Care, not one cent, because it is a scam and a rip off. So we might get to the point where my phone, my computer, or whatever is a couple of years old. Should Apple have to keep fixing my ibook even though I drop it at least once a month because I claim I don't. Because I think that that is plenty reasonable. I mean it's Apple, they should make computers that don't get damaged when you drop them. Since they didn't, the damage is their fault. Oh and when I replace my phone, my one year better damn start the day they replaced it. Not back two years ago when I bought the first one.

I've actually heard folks talk like that at the stores, although usually with a lot of cussing mixed in. It's rather ridiculous that folks act like that. Especially since in my experience they know they are in the wrong and just figure if they make a lot of noise they will get what they want so they will get out. Often with no paperwork because that takes time.

Last edited:

Thermonuclear

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2009

And when Apple refuses to honor their warranty when a water sensor pad is tripped through normal usage, then that's certainly fraud.

Apple doesn't have such a great record with water resistance issues. Many of Apple's keyboards permanently lose one or more key functions when subjected to moisture that's far, far less than what a $15 generic keyboard can survive. I'm not surprised that people are having similar difficulties with their iToys.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.