Apple two button Mouse

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by Mr Jobs, May 4, 2002.

1. Mr Jobs macrumors regular

Two button mouse....yes
    Bluetooth...yes
    Scroll Wheel...yes and no, not a wheel like the one on microsoft intelli mouse but think along the lines of the iPod

2. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

interesting first post...

We'll see... I guess

arn

3. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

i think the scroll wheel on the pod is a bit too sensitive for mouse use...

i personally think if they do release a bluetooth 2 button, then there will have to be some way to plug it... i don't think apple would create one that requires BT without it being standard.

we'll see.

4. iGav macrumors G3

Mr Jobs...... is in London..... :eek: :eek: :eek:

He must be here for the Apple Design Seminar.......:p

Will see you there Mr Jobs....... My Polaroid camera and autograph book are ready!! :D ;) :p

5. Mr Jobs thread starter macrumors regular

IGAV - First of all I never claimed to be ‘Steven Paul Jobs’ but my surname also happens to be ‘Jobs’ you just assumed I was the apple CEO, but if you still want my autograph no problem...muhahahahahaaaaa

The Scroll Wheel was originally developed by Sony I believe, as a one handed easy to use interface for it consumer products called a ‘Jog-dial’. Companies like Microsoft adopted it for use on a PC.

Ever been on a web page where the page was so long you had to viciously flick your index finger up and down on the Scroll wheel to reach the other end of the page. All those intelli mouse users will know what I’m talking about.

That’s where the iPod wheel comes in, it allows one to scroll as much or as less as they want without lifting the finger in one full fluid motion.

The sensitivity of the wheel of the iPod can be modified to suit a desktop environment in answer to ‘jelloshotsrule’ question.

Remember apple innovates; they take an existing technology and improve upon it in a positive manor. The iPod wheel is far superior then Sony’s wheel (gog-dile), why would Apple use someone else’s technology when they already have a superior one themselves.

6. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

very good point on the continuous scrolling point... and yeah, i basically think they'd just have to implement a sensitivity option. which isn't available currently in the pod, is it?

very good points though. i just wonder if/how they'd get that onto a mouse mechanically..

7. Mr Jobs thread starter macrumors regular

how about this as an example

Attached Files:

8. TyleRomeo macrumors 6502a

9. cleo macrumors 65816

cleo

Re: Mr Job's fantasy mouse

This may just be my lesbian self talking, but... wouldn't that motion - with a forefinger, no less - get a bit tiring after a while?

Seriously, though... I see your point, but I think most people would wind up lifting their finger and moving the same section of wheel over and over again. It's just an awkward movement.

10. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

i think that most people would lift their finger, whether it's because they're used to it that way or because they get tired...

i think the main thing is that, if needed, they COULD just continuously wheel around... not always necessary, but it could be at some point...

11. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Is this just personal speculation or are you basing this on a hint of a word from somewhere?

arn

12. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

That's why I click the wheel and use "auto-scroll" The screen scrolls as fast/slow as I want w/very little mouse movement.

Lethal

13. Tommy! macrumors regular

I have a sony telephone thats a cordless and corded phone in one that I got like a year and a half ago... and the jog dial at the base is an identical design to the ipod's. Its like a disc with a button in the middle. And the functions are almost identical. The wheel for scrollling, the button for selecting. Apple is a great innovator, but in this case I think they have ripped off sony a bit.

14. mmmdreg macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

That pic looks alright but a standard scroll is more likely...also, you know how the current mouse has no button on the top but the base is the button (as in the base pushes into the mouse like a button rather than the top pushing down)..well wouldn't this mean the mouse would probably look completely different anyway? that was completely irrelevant...but anyway...and if they did make a 2button mouse, would they bother to make it ergonomical or just the standard shape?

how about some speculation by me...could they have like a mouse/trackpad hybrid so there are 2 buttons and a 3rd centred button with an integrated mini-trackpad so u can move your finger up and down that and you can click it like a normal scroll-wheel...thats more unique so it may suit Apple more...???

15. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

Re: Re: Mr Job's fantasy mouse

Cleo, you've just won my first ever:

"That's damn funny" award

I think I'll make a habit of handing them out to hilarious posts... :D

16. cleo macrumors 65816

cleo

Re: Re: Re: Mr Job's fantasy mouse

LOL, thanks :) I was wondering if anyone would pick up on that. :D

17. lucs macrumors member

haha

Dude, no way. I mean, that wheel in the middle is just unnatural. Try twisting your index finger and see how awkward it is.....it feels fine for the first seconds, but doing that continuously would probably make your finger fall off in the long run.....i like the two buttons tho, they look sweet. But sweetness is not everything, apple should develop some kind of mechanism that would allow you to scroll up and down by using a wheel like in the microsoft mice but with the sensitivity of the ipod.

Now thats golden my man, like, taking the best out of stuff and creating a super something made of all kinds of parts of stuff.

18. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

yes, but what if it was positioned somewhere on the side/top-back so you could use your THUMB to spin it?? that would rule.

19. lucs macrumors member

side wheel

like a regular microsoft scroll wheel but sideways (horizontally, instead of vertically positioned)? thats a better idea, and it would be less clutter on top of the mouse...

but they would have to make a really comfortable and well proportioned chasis....different hand sizes is a potential issue...

20. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

if Apple does bring out a new mouse it had better be pretty good. if it doesn't have 4 buttons and a scroll wheel i'm going to get a Microsoft or Logitech mouse.

21. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Cool

Thats a pretty cool design, but it would be akward to turn. I really hope we get a 2 button mouse with scroll wheel!

This is my 300th post! 200 to go!

22. peterjhill macrumors 65816

peterjhill

I bought a Logitech optical two button, scroll wheel mouse about six months ago, and bought a second one for my other computer a week later. Two buttons is very nice, scroll is nice, wireless would be very nice, if it comes with a rechargeable battery and a charger.

I don't think Apple (specifically Steve Jobs) will force a two button mouse onto users, but I could imagine them having one as a BTO item. Context menus are cool and helpful. Not to mention that if Apple wants to get Linux and Unix users to come over to the Mac, their mice want to have THREE buttons. I would like to see a two button mouse with a scroll wheel that I can click (for paste).

Well, them there's my two cents ;-)