Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacBram

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2002
Zeeland, Nederland
No No No Apple...UK needs cynicism. This is all a bit Daphne in Fraser, as quaint as the English pub. Americana has to be american for Brits to accept it. Were the "Little Britain" cast fully booked? Cleese for PC at least. Last time I looked the roles should be reversed in UK. The trouble is that this comes across as young vs. old. The younger man is no way trendy in UK terms, just steaming full ahead to become the older guy. The appeal of these adverts to US is that they openly take the mick out of the establishment (M$) in the public domain. It is just not necessary in the UK, its not a shock tactic here it's a way of life.:)

I agree. A complete role reversal might be a little more effective by appealing more to the distinctly British sense of humour. The Mac could be even more reluctant to look good, and actually try NOT to convince anyone, like his job interview clip linked earlier on in this thread.

For those that say the British are quintesentially sarcastic, I have to disagree. We are simply ironic. Sarcasm is related, but to me tends to be all in the tone of voice - anyone who says "yeah, right dude, whatever" in an ascerbic manner is being sarcastic. AS such, I think sarcasm is a very American trait. Good irony is usually self-effacing on the surface but the real intent takes a couple of days to register, and often goes completely over the head of its target.

FleurDuMal

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
London Town
It might have been a good idea if they'd also done another group of these adverts with two actresses. Just to add balance. This whole campaign has been very male dominated :eek:

Pac a Mac

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2007
England
Aw, come on - everyone knows what ejjit means!

Thank gawd theyd didn't use Little Britain - those guys seemed to forget how to be funny by series 3...

The problem, if there is one, with the ads, is that the basic concept is still quiet American - so it might jar a bit with British sensbilities...

Point conceded. Repetitive sketches = Apple Advertisments though :)

Pac a Mac

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2007
England
I'm from the UK and I would still prefer the US adverts over the new UK-specific ones. They don't capture the same spirit that the US ones do, and do feel a bit awkward.

They're just alternatives for 'mucking about', or being generally being silly.

Saying that, I have never come across 'hijinks' or 'cappers' before .... I doubt many people in Northern Ireland would get these. Are they more common in England perhaps?

Not unless you have swallowed a "Biggles" book. Maybe they are terms used in the home counties, sounds a bit Spitfires and ration cards to me - yea.. come to think about it that was the last time we had any Americans visit oop north.:)

Ah, good point - less vomiting and nudity though... :p

That's just a restriction imposed by american censorship. Perfectly OK on UK TV - as long as it is after the watershed 9 o'clock (in the morning!:D )

Mookamoo

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2006
Not unless you have swallowed a "Biggles" book. Maybe they are terms used in the home counties, sounds a bit Spitfires and ration cards to me - yea.. come to think about it that was the last time we had any Americans visit oop north.:)

Northern ones would have better.

"eee by eckythump, need t' restart mee lad"

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
Sorry if this was asked already, but why does the UK need their own commercials? The UK & the USA SPEAK THE SAME LANGUAGE! I could see why they redid the Japanese ones, but the UK?

calculus

Dec 12, 2005
Sorry if this was asked already, but why does the UK need their own commercials? The UK & the USA SPEAK THE SAME LANGUAGE! I could see why they redid the Japanese ones, but the UK?

I think it's precisely because we don't speak the same language. There are many subtle variations - a quick watch of the UK 'pie chart' ad will demonstrate this. There are also differences in humour - these things are important. It's also nice to have the ads in versions that feature people we've heard of!

FleurDuMal

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
London Town

Just because we speak the same language, there are still quite large cultural differences between us two which warrant the advert to be remade. It's rather ignorant to think that adverts merely have to be in an understandable language in order to connect with their audience (although, that obviously helps :p ).

Remaking the ads with Mitchell & Webb will mean the ads get a lot more attention here than if they'd stuck to the two US actors. Firstly, because apart from people who watch the Daily Show on Youtube or More4 (which does not have a large audience) and have seen Long's movies will have an immediate interest. Plus a UK audience doesn't react to having adverts which are just obviously imported from abroad.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Yes, Yes, Yes ........ Lou and Andy would be awesome :cool:

What about Father Jack Hackett and Father Dougal Maguire.
How cool would that be?

FJ

I laughed! haha. Brilliant idea. Slowly watching through Father Ted again and it's quite possibly the best show ever.

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
Just because we speak the same language, there are still quite large cultural differences between us two which warrant the advert to be remade. It's rather ignorant to think that adverts merely have to be in an understandable language in order to connect with their audience (although, that obviously helps :p ).

Remaking the ads with Mitchell & Webb will mean the ads get a lot more attention here than if they'd stuck to the two US actors. Firstly, because apart from people who watch the Daily Show on Youtube or More4 (which does not have a large audience) and have seen Long's movies will have an immediate interest. Plus a UK audience doesn't react to having adverts which are just obviously imported from abroad.

Oh, OK. Since I've never been to the UK, I don't know how different their culture is. I try not to understand all the differences b/c I know I'll just get confused. Me -> :confused: Nothing against UK culture, it's just that there's so many differences to keep track of!

Just thought of something: it would be interesting to see if Apple remade the commercials for kids. Maybe Spongebob & Squidworth (or whatever his name is)? Start them young!

EdRossignol

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2006
Paris, France
what do you exactly mean? if only americans could speak english with a french accent?

if only americans could speak english with a french accent????
I am a British National, From Good old Suffolk lol... Farmer land... I live in france, but study in UK!!

Sorry just had to clear that up

bilbo--baggins

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2006
UK
I'm English and live in the UK, and I thought these ads were dull. They're more of the same but without the charmisma.

In England we're so used to seeing American TV that the original ads work fine here - and are better than these new regional ones.

ATG

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2005
I agree that they would have done better to change the content a bit more to more fit in with our culture and national sense of humor (lol). However, I think I prefer these ones to the US versions. Maybe it's just the more familiar accent.

OwlsAndApples

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2006
UK
I agree that they would have done better to change the content a bit more to more fit in with our culture and national sense of humor (lol). However, I think I prefer these ones to the US versions. Maybe it's just the more familiar accent.

I agree, even if the script's the same I like these more. Though you do say 'fit in with our culture and national sense of humor', but why have you spelt 'humour' the American way?! :rolleyes: :p

Great choice, I would have cried if it had been the Little Britain cast. I wonder how good Richard Hammond as Mac and Jeremy Clarkson as PC would have been? :D

ootd

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2007
In England we're so used to seeing American TV that the original ads work fine here - and are better than these new regional ones.

Um, I don't really agree with that - most UK folk don't watch a massive amount of American TV - maybe some of the major imports on Channel 4, but apart from that most brits are used to watching british TV!

American adverts only tend to work well over here when they are not identifiably American - so like the ipod commercials are fine, but the get a mac ones would have just pissed people off.

Personally, I reckon apple should be hiring Jade Goody as PC - that'd drive the Mac sales no end...:D

Mookamoo

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2006
I'm English and live in the UK, and I thought these ads were dull. They're more of the same but without the charmisma.

Agreed.

Perfectly summed up by the word 'Dull'.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.