Apple UK -> Amsys -> Poor Service?!

Discussion in 'Community' started by andym172, Dec 13, 2004.

1. andym172 macrumors 6502

My one month old, supposed £4,500 worth-of computer, is not working properly and is due to be sent back to Apple for repairs.

I purchased AppleCare with the computer with the promise of "vastly superior support" and " three years of world-class support" (I felt this was needed, as two out of my previous three Mac's have had to be returned to Apple with faults :mad: ) and as a result have had my case forwarded to a company called Amsys who are to repair the computer on Apple's behalf.

I was told last Thursday that my computer would be collected today (Monday) in the hope that it would be returned to me a week later - I have work project which needs to be completed in 2 weeks and so need the repaired computer back asap.

So, today I took the day off work and waited in for the courier company to collect the computer. I phoned Amsys to check that collection was definitely today, as the computer had still not been collected by 4:30pm. I was assured that it was to be collected today and that they (Amsys) would call me back to confirm.
    Still no show at 5:30pm and so I called again. "Sorry sir we've been very busy - I'll get back to you soon".

It's now 8pm, still no collection and still no phone call :mad:
    Amsys appear to now be closed and so I called Apple who have told me that there's nothing they can do (Apple UK is also closed).
    I'm now stuck in a position whereby I'm stuffed tomorrow as I have to go into work but still need the computer to be collected.

My gripe here is not only with Amsys, but also with Apple. When you pay such an amount for a computer AND pay extra for "vastly superior support", and "three years of world-class support" you expect to receive what they promise.

As the situation stands now, three of my four Apple computer have had faults with them which has resulted with them having to be returned to Apple for repair. Remind me again, why do we pay a premium for Apple's hardware?!

Their software is excellent, but they very much need to improve the reliability of their hardware, and their product support in the UK, as right now I can only describe it as being pathetically poor :(

So, end of rant, have any of you UK guys dealt with Amsys before, and what has been your experience? (I don't want to send my computer off only to have no feedback etc)

2. Falleron macrumors 68000

Falleron

I have dealt with Amsys on a number of occasions. To be honest, I have have never had a problem with their level of service. However, unfortunatly, there will always be exceptions.

Sorry to hear about your machine. I bet once they get it they will send it back quick.

3. andym172 thread starter macrumors 6502

Will just have to see what tomorrow brings :)

If there's one thing I HATE (and there isn't - there's bloody loads! :D) it's poor service and reneging on promises. 99.9% of the time it's just pure laziness, and there should be no excuse for that...

4. iGav macrumors G3

Apple UK are either so f**king unbelievably amazing that it's almost freaky how fast they can pick up, ship to Germany repair it and have it back in you hands less than 2 days later (pick up Wednesday afternoon, returned friday morning and it went to Dusseldorf).

Or so bad, it really makes you want to visit Apple UK in Cork and blow the place to pieces (call Apple in November, tech fault at Apple means PowerBook not picked up until December, then told a mountain fibs about its status only not to see it again until the following year only after taking initial legal steps).

It's frustrating, but happens... the only suggestion I can make is make sure that you write a letter of complaint, not only to Amsys but also Apple, unless people make written complaints when things go wrong the companies won't be able to take steps to try and rectify those issues.

But Apple are really no different to any other company, I've had exceptional service the 1 time I needed to get my Sony LCD display repaired, yet friends of mine have had problems with Sony that are comparable to the ones I've had with Apple.

Why don't you arrange to have them collect your Mac from work?? that's what I do, I've even changed delivery address when they were in courier in the morning of delivery because I've had to go into work unexpectedly and sure enough they rerouted and I received it the same day with no issues.

5. andym172 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for your post Gav :)

I expect poor service from time to time, but it's getting beyond-a-joke that 3 out of 4 machines have to be repaired. That's pure madness IMO.

The idea of collecting a computer from work is a good one, BUT a VX220 isn't too suited to carrying a G5 PowerMac and all of it's packaging :D :(

I've now been told that the computer which was due to be collected yesterday now won't be collected until tomorrow :mad:
    I'm planning on having the bloody thing couriered myself, and then charge Apple/Amsys.

Service so far:

Apple: 5/10

Amsys: 1/10

AmTrack (courier): 0/10 :mad:

6. iGav macrumors G3

For some reason I was thinking you had a PowerBook... but I can well imagine the logistical problems in shoe horning a G5 into your motor! heheh

I know how you feel though, out of all the Mac's I've owned only 1 has never needed to be repaired (G3 266MHz) and I guess my old company PowerBook G3 as well. But all of my Titaniums have had to go back, several times each.

It's annoying though and a bitter pill to swallow, it really shouldn't happen as you say on multiple thousands of £££ of computers, but then I'm cursed when it comes to anything electrical.

Still take the time to write and complain though, unless people do then things will never change, be polite and restrained but stress your disappointment and the inconvieneince it has caused.

Have you had to fill out one of those online AppleCare satisfaction questionnaires before?? worth doing... when I've had shockingly sh*t service I've told them so in those questionnaires I've had replies back apologising for poor service etc.

But when the service has been stunning... then I've praised them for it, whilst reminding them of the improvement over the previous time.

Were you blessed with those soft, female Irish tones when you called up Apple? ;) :) Apple are total b*rstards for using them, they know how to press the right buttons... :D

7. andym172 thread starter macrumors 6502

:)

I do have a Powerbook, but now also have a dual 2.5 G5 :)

I've not filled out an AppleCare form - I'll have a look for one of those. Do these forms have a swear filter?! ;)

Since my last post I've spent 40 mins on the phone to Apple, informing them of my annoyance. They were very understanding of my situation, yet I'm still no nearer to having my computer collected and repaired sooner.
    I've been told that one of the managers at Amsys will be giving me a call. Nothing yet...

You are right about the Irish accents though - even when seething with rage you still find yourself thinking "she sounds nice!" ;) :D

If it's not collected tomorrow, I'll be hiring the worlds largest catapult and will be firing the focker down to Surrey ;) :p

8. iGav macrumors G3

no filter so feel free to have at em'... heheheh

they send out a URL after the repair is completed, just asking for feedback etc etc about AppleCare. I usually think oh it'll just take me 5 minutes and then end up taking 45 to make sure I get my point across. :D

There's a guy on here (I forget his name) insists they are indeed as fine as they sound... :D which makes it even worse, because then you know it's not a hag you're speaking too :eek: ;) :D

9. andym172 thread starter macrumors 6502

No way! :eek: :D

How embarrassing is it going to be when I unintentionally slip in "I love you - will you have my babies?" into the conversation?! :eek: :eek: :eek:

I reckon that's on par with accidentally calling your primary school teacher 'mum' in front of the whole class (especially when it's a male teacher :D).

I DEMAND photo's by the way - whoever this guy is, he owes it to the male (and some female, I suppose) population of this forum to post a few...