Apple UK deliveries

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by josepho, Apr 3, 2004.

1. josepho macrumors regular

Hi there,

I'm looking at getting either a 12" iBook or Powerbook (had decided on the PB, but not swaying the other way), within the next couple of weeks. Can anyone give me any indication about how long deliveries from Apple UK are taking? I know you get the express delivery included - but how long will it take them to send it out?

I'd be buying it education if that'd make any difference.

Thanks!

2. Jeewhizz macrumors regular

I just bought a powerbook 15" on edu discount 10 days ago. It should be here on monday or tuesday according to both apple and TNT worldwide. So you're looking at about 10-14 days. Mine had some extras added tho - backlit keyboard and an airport extreme card and so it was made in shanghai and shipped here... if you ordered a stock one, it may be quicker.

It shipped on Monday, so it takes about 5-7 days to get here (what apples quote)

And trust me - the wait is awful :(

Jee

3. boomtopper macrumors member

boomtopper

tel me Jeewhizz cause i have ordered a "15" powerbook on edu discount and it is taking ages to come. it has been about 10 days from when they said they have sent it. The wait is killing me it seems to be taking a long journey across europe. I wish delivery services like TNT would deliver on saturdays and sundays.

4. danbalsh macrumors regular

Why not just order things from a local distributor???

I use CanComUK they ship next-day on most things, and the prices are the same as Apples.

:) less wait = happier customer :cool:

5. Jeewhizz macrumors regular

cancom came in at oaver 50 pounds more than the apple store once you included the education discount :(

6. boomtopper macrumors member

boomtopper

theres also jigsaw they are really good as well (i have never ordered from them but all my freinds say they are good) http://www.jigsw24.com

7. josepho thread starter macrumors regular

Oh man! I was expecting it to be quicker than that. If I order it today (4th, d'you think I'll have it maybe by the 15-18th? And they call that express delivery? :confused:

8. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

John Lewis supply standard spec machines at the same price as Apple but with a better warranty - two years. And they aren't as tight about replacements for duff machines either...

9. Jeewhizz macrumors regular

You have to remember,that apple quote 5-7 working days from dispatch till delivery, which is gonna be near enough two weeks once you incorporate the long easter bank holiday weekend :(

Johnlewis are good - but as avbove, they suplpt stock machines, and i ordered extras with mine.

Jee

10. josepho thread starter macrumors regular

Yeay! I just asked my dad if he could lend me £900 to order my iBook with AE and BT... he just said yeah, and gave me his credit card!

Wish me luck!

11. Jeewhizz macrumors regular

Nice one :)

Mine is on a credit card with interest free until september.. :)

Just wish mine would get here already :) Its like waiting for christmas! In fact, i dreamt it arrived last nite... woke up and realised it was sunday and it wasn't here! Is that bad?! ;) Maybe i'm a *gasp* geek :eek: :D :cool:

I have to keep doing stuff to stop me thinking aobut running panther :|

Jee

12. josepho thread starter macrumors regular

That's it... ordered!

Now I'm just ordering my 512MB RAM from Crucial (going on my credit card!)

I bet that'll come LONG before my iBook!

Anyway, what can you do?

EEEEH! I'm excited!

13. Jeewhizz macrumors regular

14. Jeewhizz macrumors regular

GOt the consignment number from apple - tnt are delivering on wednesday - so it'll have taken 2 weeks to get here :O

Jee

15. josepho thread starter macrumors regular

Not too bad. I'm getting my LinkSys 802.11g router and card (for my current PC) on the 14th... so hopefully it'll work out just nicely.

I've just got to decide on a bag now... I'm thinking Crumpler Roll-o-notes - bout £50-60. Also, how do people feel about insuring their notebook? I'm thinking about it - or am I just being paranoid?

Cheers!

16. Jeewhizz macrumors regular

I have the linksys WRT54G router running in my flat... ITs pretty decent, get great connections no matter where i am in the house/garden on my flatmate's laptop... will keep you posted with results regarding the AE card when i get the PB.

I insured my PB (incorporating the ram, tucano skin and the case i'm gonna buy) for 2000 full accidental damage, inside and outside the home on my existing hosehold insurance policy... cost me about 35 quid for the year - but of course, it depends on your existing policy! I got it through directline by the way :)

Bag wise, i'm gonna go take a look in town over the easter wknd, hopefully net a bargain - supposedly (and i hate to say this), PC World have the biggest selection and are the cheapest.

Jee

17. josepho thread starter macrumors regular

Does your insurance cover you for just accidental damage? I think I'd want one that'd cover theft too... Just in case. I'm always a little wary about putting it on the household policy (my parents' house) - if I claim they'll lose the no-claims bonus, no?

If PCWorld have a good range that's good - I work for O2 Retail, and we get points for selling certain stuff - which we get in voucher for. I've ordered £310 for Dixons/PC World. They seem to be overpriced for a lot of things:
    Linksys 54G router - £120, Linksys 54G PCI card - £50... but since I've got the vouchers (or are getting them on the 14th) it's almost like I'm not paying at all - I see the vouchers are a bonus which I get, and don't rely on them.

Insurance is a bit of a minefield - you wanna go with a name you trust, but then they might be hellofalot more expensive!

Cheers! :)

18. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

Surely you jest :eek:

If the Stevenage PC World is anything to go by they seem to have machines from one or two revisions ago and at their original prices. They were still trying to sell Dual G4 powermacs at well over £2000 even after the G5 was released! :(

19. josepho thread starter macrumors regular

Thing is, a lot of people who buy computers from PC World/Dixons/Curry's/etc don't know a hellofalot about them. Any unscupulous salesman worth his salt could make some unsuspecting shopper think they were getting a great deal - when really it was a bum one!

Am I right in saying that in order to sell Apple computers you've got to promise Apple you won't sell them at less than the company direct? If so, isn't that a gross case of price fixing? If not, why is there no competition in prices? Are the margins THAT small? :confused:

20. Jeewhizz macrumors regular

I meant that pc world have a big range of bags so i hear, not the apple computers ;) You're from stevenage?! I used to work at the courts store down the road from pc world :D

And joe, my insurance policy covers the PB for everything, theft, damage, accidentl damage caused by myself (you won't get a policy for someone else damaging it - but the salesman tol d me to jsut say i did it :eek: :cool: :rolleyes: ). If you have to claim, then you may lose your no claims, it depends on the policy - i think i get one claim a year that is protected.

Jee

21. josepho thread starter macrumors regular

Well, thanks to Crucial's superb service, I now have my RAM... long before the computer.

Alas, I guess that's the way of the world. I guess it just heightens the excitement, no?

Might go into PCWorld today before work... have a wee look at the bags they've got - though I really like the Crumpler Roll-o-notes.

I think Apple said 3-6 days for build, and 3-7 for delivery... So, I'm hoping 6 days, rather than 13, but I think that's just a little too wishful.

As long as it doesn't take too long - the excitement will just make me enjoy it more when it does come. :p

22. Jeewhizz macrumors regular

That's what i'm banking on :) But honestly, 2 weeks for a laptop delivery! If this was a dell/compaq/HP laptop, i'd have cancelled ages ago!

Just wish apple would get their arse in gear in regards to deliveries, and then it'll be even more awesome :D

23. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

Oh...that's OK then. I got the bag for my ibook from there. Just don't buy a mac from them. They'll most likely rip you off. I'm not from Stevenage - I go there just for as long as I have to. Detest the place - mind you Luton's worse...

24. Jeewhizz macrumors regular

Mine arrived this morning - and i'm in love :)

Its amazing - and so logical - its fantastic.

All in all, it took e 10 business days to get here - so two weeks - but its worth the wait now i have it :)

Jee

25. josepho thread starter macrumors regular

Lucky SOB! Tell me, what emails - apart from the initial confirmation - did you receive throughout the process? Hmmm... 2 weeks - a little longer than ideal, but not the worst case scenario... probably about average.

Well, keep me (us) up to date with how you find the new machine/system.

Cheers! :)