Apple Universal Adapter Kit

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by chosenwolf, Mar 18, 2006.

1. chosenwolf macrumors 6502a

chosenwolf

I want to order this kit for when I go overseas. Now I've been told that adapters just give you the right prong for your power adapter so you can plug it in in different countries. However, you would still need a converter to convert the volts or else you might fry your laptop/iPod.

I've been told that if I use them with my Apple chargers (which I intend to do), I won't need a seperate converter since the Apple Adapters that ship with your laptop can convert volts if necessary. I looked at the volt rating on the power adapter and sure enough it said 110-240 volts. I intend to use it in a country that uses 240 volts - 60 Hz.

I should be alright with just the universal adapter kit no?

2. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

I've used my iPod and iBook adapters in different countries with nothing more than a bog-standard plug adapter, with no problems whatsoever. Granted, it might not look quite as swish as the official Apple kit, but it's a heck of a lot cheaper and does the job just as well. :)

3. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

You will be perfectly fine with the Apple Adapters, after all they are designed for their own products...

4. chaos86 macrumors 65816

chaos86

there are some weird countries who use, like, 37 volts or something. blagahooshaven or lampathunia or stankonia or something. definately check with someone before you plug anything in anywhere.

5. chosenwolf thread starter macrumors 6502a

chosenwolf

Thanks for the inputs! I will be visiting a country that uses the same electrical system as germany so I should be fine.

The only thing I was worried about was the different voltages but since the OEM APPPLE Adapters support a range of volts, it should be ok.