Apple Updates Aperture and iPhoto With Lengthy Changelogs

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 1, 2012.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple has updated its prosumer photo editing/management software Aperture, bringing it to version 3.4.2. The company has also released a new version of iPhoto, version 9.4.2. Both updates are available via the Mac App Store or Software Update.

[​IMG]
    Aperture is available for $79.99 on the Mac App Store. [Direct Link]

iPhoto is available for $14.99 on the Mac App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Apple Updates Aperture and iPhoto With Lengthy Changelogs

2. macrumors G4

daneoni

Quite a big chunk of fixes

3. macrumors 68000

The iPhoto update installed okay, but the Aperture update keeps giving me an error and failing.

4. macrumors 6502a

Glassed Silver

Same here...
    At least now I know it's not an issue on my end...

MAS and other Apple online services have been rather instable for quite some days now...
    Eddy Cue, work it!

Glassed Silver:mac

5. macrumors 6502a

shanson27

New iPhoto icon ? Love it :D

6. macrumors member

3.4 had a bad update as well and 3.4.1 had to be released to fix it. Looks like I'll be holding off on the update.

7. Killa Aaron, Nov 1, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2012

macrumors regular

Killa Aaron

Safari 6.0.2 is also available.
    [​IMG]

8. macrumors 68000

I rebooted and tried again, and it seems to be working. I suspect the reboot wasn't the fix, but Apple did something on their end that fixed the download while I was rebooting. In either case, the update works for me now.

9. macrumors member

It was an issue with the actual download and not with launching the updated version of Aperture?

10. RoelJuun, Nov 1, 2012

macrumors 6502

RoelJuun

Receiving an error message when pressing Update.

An error occurred

The operation couldn’t be completed. (NSURLErrorDomain error -3001.)(102)

10.8.2. iMac 2009.

11. garylapointe, Nov 1, 2012

macrumors 6502a

garylapointe

Why can't Apple set Lion support multiple photostreams? If it supports one, surely it can support multiples?

This seems like one of these things they actually turn off just because of the Mac OS X version.

This is especially annoying on computers that actually cannot be upgraded to Mountain Lion. (And some of the Mac models had pretty early cutoffs).

I've got a friend with a MacBook which can't do multiple streams while her iPad and AppleTV can.

Gary

12. macrumors 65816

Risco

13. macrumors regular

It's much snappier.

14. macrumors member

landroverz7

Apple loves releasing all their updates in one day don't they?

Anyways I find that its best to wait a few hours before updating any of the ilife or iwork applications as the first few hours the update is big >1GB if you wait a few hours they will become delta updates <100MB. This is from the mac app store OSX Mountain Lion here.

15. macrumors 603

bedifferent

How about re-enabling the ability for users to restore a picture by opening "Time Machine" while "iPhoto" is open instead of restoring the ENTIRE library if you inadvertently delete a photo, event, album, etc from its trash bin?

I do not know why Apple removed that ability. Many people want it back.

16. macrumors 68030

Fixes are nice and all, but I want much more substantial update to Aperture. Perhaps it's just me but aside from Final Cut Pro (and related Compressor and Motion), most of Apple's Mac apps seem to be in maintenance dating more than 2 years ago. Granted, Apple did give us iCloud and few nice new features, but I want real update.

Last major version (x.0) release dates:

Aperture: February 9, 2010
    Apple Remote Desktop: April 11, 2006
    Compressor: June 21, 2011
    Final Cut Pro: June 21, 2011
    GarageBand: October 20, 2010
    iMovie: October 20, 2010
    iPhoto: October 20, 2010
    Keynote: January 9, 2009
    Logic Pro: June 23, 2009
    MainStage: June 23, 2009
    Motion: June 21, 2011
    Numbers: January 9, 2009
    Pages: January 9, 2009

P.S. MacRumors should put Buyer's Guide for Apple's paid software.

17. macrumors regular

Aperture is still very slow. Unusable is more like it when you have a large collection of raw files .

18. Nermal, Nov 1, 2012

Nermal

Staff Member

Could be an overloaded server since there's a lot of new stuff today. I'm getting the "no updates available" message.

Edit: It turns out that the system requirements have changed; the iPhoto update isn't showing up simply because my system doesn't meet them, not due to any technical issue. Mystery solved :)

19. macrumors 6502a

Baklava

Like-Button in Aperture... Tz... This social network integration thing in Aperture is so un-pro!

20. EDL
    macrumors newbie

New Version

I second that; it's been way too long for a new version of Aperture. While Lightroom still catches up in certain areas, in other areas it has gained a lead on Aperture. That does not really speak for Apple having had the initial head-start in the game. And Lightroom does get consistent feature updates, not just bug fixes (I don't count additions of i-services as actual features).

I just hope that the next update of Aperture is going to be Aperture X, just like FCPX was to FCP. A complete rewrite with groundbreaking new ideas that take advantage of today's hardware and OSX technologies, not just an incremental update. - IMHO, Apple should have bought NIK software, not Google. And if they wait much longer with Pixelmator, someone else (if not Google again) is going to pick them up. Both companies could have brought real technological advantage to a package like Aperture. - Maybe they're trying to write those kinds of pieces themselves but maybe not.

So yeah, just frustrated about the whole progress of this app that doesn't accomplish much more (editing-wise) than when it first launched.

21. macrumors G4

daneoni

Keep getting this

Attached Files:

22. macrumors 68000

WilliamLondon

Getting the same thing here, whether I try and update all three, or any individually.

23. macrumors regular

i've read that the app store requires $$ purchase for each .0 release. So if apple (or anyone) want to release free updates they can't be .01.

24. Mainyehc, Nov 1, 2012

macrumors 6502

Mainyehc

25. macrumors 6502a

and how 'bout allowing <escape> to go from the single picture view back to the album view. i used that all the time and hate having to click on the button to go back to the album now.

why make things harder to use, Apple?