Apple Updates Apple Store App with Free iBookstore Offering

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 12, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple has quietly launched an over-the-air update to its Apple Store app today, replacing its first free content offering, Color Zen, with the children's book Away in My Airplane by Margaret Wise Brown.

The free iBook offering was detailed in a note to Apple's retail employees this morning (via 9to5Mac), notifying them that the download is intended to give them a reason to discuss the iBooks app and the iBookstore when communicating with customers.

[​IMG]
    Earlier this month, Apple launched an "iBooks Discovery" initiative, providing its employees with free iBooks in order to prepare them for the launch of OS X Mavericks and iOS 7. Mavericks will include the first Mac iBooks app, allowing users to read ePub files on their desktop computers.

Apple has begun offering free content via its Apple Store app in order to entice customers to download and visit the app on a regular basis, increasing their exposure to Apple products. The effort is part of a push to boost in-store sales of the iPhone, as 80% of Apple's iPhone customers purchase their phones at third party retail locations. In a July meeting, Tim Cook noted that he would like to increase the company's iPhone sales, as it is considered to be Apple's central "gateway product."

Apple has also initiated other programs to increase iPhone sales, including an upcoming trade-in program and a Back to School program that offers customers a $50 gift card with the purchase of a new iPhone.

Away in My Airplane will be available through August 28 in the United States, United Kingdom, Italy, France, and Sweden. Not all customers appear to have access to the new book at this time, which likely means Apple is delivering the update on a rolling basis.

Article Link: Apple Updates Apple Store App with Free iBookstore Offering

2. macrumors 68040

ValSalva

Free is free, thanks Apple. But I wonder if any of the free content will ever not be mainly for children :rolleyes:

3. macrumors 68020

FSMBP

I agree.

Also, it would be nice if they offered a couple free Wallpapers for your iPhone or new Tones. It seems easier for them to do that than bundle it with system updates.

4. macrumors 65816

arkmannj

I'm showing a different book as free. "Open Season" by C.J. Box

Edit: Nevermind, I had visited the UK, and had it set to the London Store. When I went back and switched to a local store here in the US I get the same Airplanes book.

5. macrumors 6502a

iLilana

sooooo

is this for... i don't get this. why did they do this? free books while waiting in line at the apple store? so you are going to be in line so long you can read a book?

6. macrumors 6502

I'm still seeing Color Zen as the free app here :(

7. macrumors 68000

Really cool of apple!

But kindle all the way

8. macrumors member

Same - though I am in the UK. Seems it's a different book for us folk over the pond!

----------

I only see Colour Zen under the 'Featured' tab, but that and the book show under 'Stores'.

9. macrumors 68020

Squilly

This seems to be a common trend with Apple nowadays.

10. macrumors 6502

Thanks for the heads up I see it now. :D

11. macrumors 6502a

shartypants

Not sure Apple can do anything quietly :D

12. macrumors 6502a

"Earlier this month, Apple launched an "iBooks Discovery" initiative, providing its employees with free iBooks in order to prepare them for the launch of OS X Mavericks and iOS 7."

But iBooks can't run Mavericks, can they? I'm still looking forward to getting a free iBook.

13. macrumors 6502

chumawumba

I'll be interested when Apple starts giving all their non-stock apps the iOS 7 UI makeover.

14. macrumors member

Children are the future :D

Its sad that you are an Adult and have no money to buy stuff :p

15. macrumors 6502

FirstNTenderbit

Confused.

This is pretty cool for Apple to do, but how does this help boost in-store sales? A free iBook leads you to an Apple store? I just don't get it.

Could this have been speculation added by MR as to the reasons behind the free books?:confused:

16. jwm
    macrumors regular

jwm

The iBook for me here in the UK was Open Season. No problems downloading, which was nice to see after the initial issues with Color Zen.

17. macrumors 601

HiRez

Why would they need an OTA update to an app just to swap out a book? Isn't it basically just an interface to a server backend, which should be dynamic without updating the app?

18. macrumors member

Not in the UK at the moment!?

Just tried to get from UK store but it said not available here!?:confused:

19. macrumors 68020

Guess you're outta the loop
    http://www.apple.com/osx/preview/#ibooks

20. Editor

jclo

Staff Member

The free book is within the Apple Store app, so to get it you have to open the app and look at all of the products that Apple is selling, as well as their current promotions (Back to School right now).

21. macrumors 6502

FirstNTenderbit

I get everything you're saying. What I don't get is the correlation between this (free iBook) and in-store traffic. That's why I speculated the tie-in was supposition by MR, not a confirmed Apple strategy. Unless there are items that are in-store only I could pretty much any item without setting foot in a store. Sorry, getting off topic.

I still think this is a cool thing for Apple to do.

22. Derek87, Aug 12, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2013

macrumors 6502

UPDATE: i thought having ibookstore enabled in restrictions was sufficient. but apparently i needed to do the same for Itunes.

original post:
    weird... not work for me on my iphone 5 (6.1.3)...

i shows the download now button, i hit it, i see the swirling circle at the top of the screen for a few moments afterward...but nothing appears in my ibooks library.

23. macrumors member

In the French store, it is a Sci Fi book " Honor Harrington Tome 1 - Mission Basilic from David Weber ".

Each country store has a different free book :)

24. macrumors 65816

One thing I wish Apple would include in it's Apple Store App is a section for it's refurbished Apple products. There is no section for that in the App unless I'm wrong and it's hiding somewhere.

25. macrumors 68030

BasicGreatGuy

+1