Apple Updates Final Cut Pro, Compressor and Motion With Reliability Improvements, Bug Fixes

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 19, 2014.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Apple today updated its professional video editing software Final Cut Pro to version 10.1.3, adding reliability improvements and fixing several bugs. An issue that caused instability when burning a Blu-ray Disc has been fixed, and color corrections pasted between clips are now retained during Share.

The reliability of automatic library backups has been improved, as has the stability of the software when skimming growing files in the browser. A full list of changes can be found below:
    Today's minor Final Cut Pro update follows a June update that added a range of new features and improvements. Apple has also updated both Compressor and Motion, fixing a reliability issue caused by burning a Blu-ray Disc or creating a Blu-ray disk image.

Final Cut Pro can be downloaded from the Mac App Store for $299. [Direct Link]

Compressor can be downloaded from the Mac App Store for $49.99. [Direct Link]

Motion can be downloaded from the Mac App Store for $49.99. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Apple Updates Final Cut Pro, Compressor and Motion With Reliability Improvements, Bug Fixes

2. macrumors 6502

Thanks apple. Blue ray rocks!

3. macrumors regular

ricci

Hey, back to school sales, updates and new stuff next month ?? Great for the Apple family!! Love it!!

4. macrumors 68020

jayducharme

I hope it's fixed the annoying bug where activating Video Animation on a clip will intermittently crash the program. I guess I'll find out soon enough....

5. macrumors 6502

jmh600cbr

Anyone test yosemite support?

6. macrumors 65816

lazyrighteye

Reminded of a time when this thread would have at least seen double-digit replies by now.

Maybe if the headline read: FCP Update Optimized for iOS8...

7. macrumors 68020

jayducharme

I'm running it in Yosemite and it works fine.

8. macrumors member

Updated it on Mavericks and Yosemite Beta without thinking. Hope it doesn't mess with my libraries like 10.9.1 did.

9. macrumors regular

I hope that means they fixed the same thing happening when you copy and paste crop setting between clips too.

10. macrumors 6502a

i wonder if it fixes the bug that causes my mbp to kernel panic with nvrm, read error, gpu panic message.....

11. macrumors 68000

4God

Ahhhh yes... I remember the good ol' days. :D

12. macrumors 6502a

Probably because most of the people are using serious editing softwares by now.

13. macrumors 65816

taptic

Ha. -_-

14. macrumors newbie

People are...

Learn what you're talking about. The program is being used on everything from news to features.

15. macrumors member

The markets you listed have pretty low FCPX usage. It is used for a small amount of news and it was used on one major Fox feature film but they had a LOT of problems. I know of no other major films that are using it or planning to.

16. macrumors 6502a

I live in Miami, my production house is switching from FC7 to Premiere. The TV station I used to work to is switching to Premiere and Avid.

Venevision International with 600 employees is switching to Avid, well, they already did and a mayor factor is like Avid opperators are real editors compared with Final Cut Editors that called themselves "editors" when the reality is that most do not have certification and learned to edit in their house. The Program Director is a friend and told me that, it was a hassle when recruiting bunch of wannabees.

Telemundo and Univision, Premiere and Avid last year.

I just know 1 person using FCPX and is a musician and I have seen one ad in Craigslist asking for FCPX for infomercials.

My recommendation to people is to learn that software as an option but the interns I have been having in my company are learning in Avid at their schools.

I am just giving you facts.

17. macrumors 6502

Candlelight

Is Compressor now truly 64 bit with GPU access?

Or it is still crap?

Seriously I have a race with a mate who keeps updating the newer version and my v3.5 beats it everytime.

18. macrumors regular

19. macrumors newbie

I am guessing you have not personally used Avid before.

I graduated film school. Learned Avid in school, made a business case to bring in Premiere, learned it.

Upon graduation, with my paying jobs I've chosen to use FCPX.

Facts. :)

20. macrumors 6502

21. macrumors 6502a

22. macrumors 6502

gmcalpin

…mostly by people who had never used it. :)

23. Ed A., Aug 20, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2014

macrumors member

I do corporate video and local television in Connecticut. I've used all three programs and the one I still choose to use is FCP X, (even though I still have FCP7). People tend to forget or may not know that Avid is running precariously close to the edge of insolvency, they were delisted from NASDAQ. They've already discontinued their Newscutter editing software, just a matter of time until MediaComposer is discontinued too. I know I wouldn't want my company to depend on software from a company that may not be around in a couple of years. As for Adobe, they lost me as a customer when they went subscription.

24. macrumors G4

Why care why people shooting feature films are using unless you are shooting a feature film? 99.99% of us do other kinds of work and need different tools.

Actually from a money point of view I can see why Apple wrote off the high-end users. There are just not enough of them. Even if they shot 100 big-budget feature films per year and 50% of the films bought two dozen copies each of FCPX that would generate only about $350K income for Apple. That is not enough to support even a very small development staff. (It might pay for two developers, tops.)

Compare that to the tens of thousands of weddings, training films, music videos for no-name bands, dogs riding skateboards on Discovery Channel. If don't matter to Apple that these are all low-budget because everyone pays the same $277 to Apple. The unit sales numbers are bigger with the low-budget films than with the big-budget films.

Apple has done this across the board. These is more money at the low end. For example far more people use iPads and computers for media viewing/entertainment than for doing real work. So that is what Apple goes after.

25. macrumors 6502

nice trolling