Apple Updates Guidelines for Case Makers with Details on iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 16, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple late last week updated its official guidelines for third-party case makers looking to create products for the new iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c, giving detailed schematics (PDF) and revealing additional details about the construction for each device.

[​IMG]
    iPhone 5c dimensional drawing (click for larger)
    As noted by AppleInsider, the plastic iPhone 5c requires case makers to design radio-friendly transparent windows at the top of bottom of the device, indicating that the radio technology design inside of the iPhone 5c is similar in placement to that found the iPhone 5, which integrated cellular and other antennas in the upper and lower sections of the device.

[​IMG]
    iPhone 5s dimensional drawing (click for larger)
    Meanwhile, the metal and aluminum iPhone 5s now requires case makers to compensate for the new Touch ID fingerprint sensor, with the restricted area for cases surrounding the home button slightly larger than that of the iPhone 5c and the previous generation. iPhone 5. The document also notes that no metal should come in contact with the iPhone 5s chassis, citing unwanted interruption with the device's antennas and signal degradation.

Apple will begin selling the iPhone 5s and lower-cost iPhone 5c this Friday, September 20. The company began taking pre-orders for the iPhone 5c in 10 countries on September 13, with online orders for the iPhone 5s set to begin early in the morning local time on Friday prior to the in-store availability later in the morning.

Article Link: Apple Updates Guidelines for Case Makers with Details on iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c

2. macrumors 65816

musika

Neato. I just bought a Speck Candyshell for my future 5s. I'm sure I'll take it off relatively quickly.

3. macrumors newbie

iPhone 5 and 5s same size?

So basically it reads that the iPhone 5 and 5s are same size all around just slightly bigger home button and needed access for thumb sensor... cool can use my old cases

4. macrumors 68020

So if I had a 3D printer, I could make my own case! :D

5. macrumors 65816

OldSchoolMacGuy

Forget cases.

6. macrumors 68030

So the updated specs STILL contradict the alleged Lightning docking specs which mandate the connector cannot be designed in a way where it will plug into a case built to these specifications?

7. macrumors regular

These would make nice prints to hang in my office. Nothing better than working drawings

8. macrumors regular

It looks like both the 5s and 5c have a "front" microphone under the earpiece grille, alongside a "receiver", plus a rear and bottom mic. Three mics?! Maybe one's connected directly to your local NSA office. ;)

Perhaps my American terminology is incorrect, but wasn't the receiver traditionally the handset? Presumably the "earpiece" is the hole where the "receiver" speaker is located.

9. croooow, Sep 16, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2013

macrumors 6502a

croooow

10. 3bs
    macrumors 603

3bs

I bought 2 :p

By far my favourite case! I use it on my iPhone 5 and iPad Mini.

11. macrumors 68040

ValSalva

Definitely one of the funniest moments from a great series :D

12. macrumors 65816

musika

I like it so much more than the iPhone 4/4S version of the case. It's so much thinner.

13. macrumors 65816

Battlefield Fan

I just the leather cases to go on sale from Apple!!!

14. macrumors 68030

macs4nw

15. macrumors 68040

eastercat

Hope this info gets my lifeproof case to me sooner.