Apple Updates iBooks with Paid Japanese Books, Greater Asian Language Support

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 5, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

Apple today updated iBooks to version 3.1, bringing new support for paid books in Japan and enhanced support for Asian languages.
    iBooks is a free download from the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Apple Updates iBooks with Paid Japanese Books, Greater Asian Language Support
  2. macrumors 601

Jul 5, 2004
    And yet they still display the date in the USA format. :rolleyes:
  3. macrumors 6502a

Oct 5, 2006
    Tokyo, Japan
    And yet I had to buy the Kindle version of Steve Jobs because the Japanese iTunes store only sells the Japanese version. (Amazon and the Kindle store sells both the original and the Japanese translation)

The screenshots is taken with the US settings.
  4. macrumors regular

Oct 8, 2007
    Couldn't possibly be because that iPad is set to English language mode :rolleyes:
  5. macrumors member

Jul 23, 2006
    Buy direct from Japan

I've got a question for those in the know. Is Apple building an iBookstore where people anywhere can buy ebooks from any country? It would certainly be simpler for the Japanese iBookstore handle all the Japanese language titles but sell to people anywhere.

I'm sure there may be rights issues, but that could be worked around if the publisher has the rights in both countries. And it'd be great if iBooks knew how to find and buy books from all the countries where's there's a store.

Books shouldn't be bound by borders.
  6. macrumors 68040

May 10, 2010
    Books shouldn't be, music and movies too. But they are. At least with Kindle I still can buy English books also while beeing in Japan. The border-thinking makes digital content for me difficult to fully adopt. As much as I would like to.
  7. macrumors member

May 15, 2007
    I like how the pic is One Piece!

Love that manga!!!
  8. macrumors regular

Jul 30, 2010
  9. macrumors newbie

Mar 5, 2013
    I agree that books should not be bound by borders! Book availability for the iBookstore is solely at the discretion of the book providers, not Apple. A provider can set the countries they can permit their book to be sold, providing they have cleared all the rights to do so. There is really only one iBookstore, with each book getting clearance to be sold in whatever country the provider has set.