Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

While introducing iOS 8 at its Worldwide Developers Conference today, Apple announced a host of improvements for its popular iMessage messaging platform, including in-line audio and video messages and new group features like Do Not Disturb and more.

f1401732236.jpg
The in-line video and audio messages are accessed from a small radial menu on the right of the text-entry field, allowing users to quickly choose whether they want to send a video or audio message. Like Snapchat, the audio and video messages "self-destruct" after a certain amount of time to save space. However, users can also choose to keep them if they really want to.

Users can play the media from within the message thread by pressing the "play" button or simply raising the phone to their ear, which also works straight from the lock screen.

In addition, group messages have received numerous improvements, including Do Not Disturb, the ability to name conversations and add or remove people from the group chat. Locations can also be shared, and can be chosen to be shared for a certain amount of time a day.

Article Link: Apple Updates iMessage with Improved Group Messaging and Video and Audio Messages

Atrin1

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2012
Dallas
very cool to listen to an audio message while in lock screen with only putting phone up to your ear.

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
They didn't mention if iMessages will show up in iCloud web service. That is where I REALLY want it; it will offer communication when on a PC. Hope it will still come, I could really use it.

garylapointe

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2006
Dearborn (Detroit), MI, USA
Video VoiceMail

That's cool, but I was really hoping for Video VoiceMail.

I'd call via FaceTime and they let me just lave a video voicemail (as if it were a regular voicemail) when no one answers.

(Yes, I've been able to do something similar with iMessaging a video, but this would be more seamless and sit in their "voice mail" box.)

Gary

BrentD

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2010
Amazed there is no mention in the article about being able to LEAVE a group message now. I absolutely hate those things! You can turn them off on your end, which disables you from being able to send them, but that does nothing to prevent people from adding you to one. This was probably one of my biggest peeves with messaging in iOS.

bchery21

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2009
Boston, MA
If Apple can implement a way to save groups that you've created to later send that group a text would be great...not necessarily for me but I know my fiancee would welcome this.

drewyboy

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
I don't know anyone with Whatsapp. I do know it's popular (supposedly 500 million users), but at the end of the day many people will just use what's already available. I knew about whatsapp, but I didn't want to spam everyone I know telling them to get it. It didn't offer anything crucial to me or others. With many of the features being rolled into iMessages, pretty much everyone I normally talk/text with I now know will have these "cool" features. They're nice, but not necessary. Will I use them now that I have them, sure.

divergirl

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2012
I'm glad to see iMessage will finally be implementing some of the convenient features already present in other messaging apps like WhatsApp and LINE. One feature I'd love to see is further integration of iMessage and FaceTime. In LINE, when you call a user within the app the call shows up right inline within the chatroom. As a result, if they do not answer your call you can either send them an audio message or type out a text message and it's a lot like voicemail. You can also click on the missed call icon right from within the chat room to call them back. In my attached screenshot you can see that right from within the chatroom I was able to call my friend, and then leave an audio message, and then he was able to text me back, all on the same screen. The integration is really convenient and is one I hope comes to iMessage and FaceTime one day.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 172

josielinnea

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2007
Stockholm
I'm glad to see iMessage will finally be implementing some of the convenient features already present in other messaging apps like WhatsApp and LINE. One feature I'd love to see is further integration of iMessage and FaceTime. In LINE, when you call a user within the app the call shows up right inline within the chatroom. As a result, if they do not answer your call you can either send them an audio message or type out a text message and it's a lot like voicemail. You can also click on the missed call icon right from within the chat room to call them back. In my attached screenshot you can see that right from within the chatroom I was able to call my friend, and then leave an audio message, and then he was able to text me back, all on the same screen. The integration is really convenient and is one I hope comes to iMessage and FaceTime one day.
Sorry but that is the ugliest app I've seen in.... a LONG time!

divergirl

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2012
Sorry but that is the ugliest app I've seen in.... a LONG time!

What about it? Do you just mean the green frog theme I'm using? Because the themes are changeable depending on your own tastes. Here's another theme for example. They also have a plainer theme if you're into a simpler look.

Anyway, aesthetics of the app aside, it's really the idea of integrating iMessage and FaceTime that would be exciting to me. Not saying that they would necessarily have to become one app like LINE is, but to have your FaceTime calls show right up within your iMessage conversations, and to be able to make FaceTime calls directly from iMessage without being redirected to the FaceTime app would be really convenient I think.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 195
Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.