Apple Updates iTunes Movie Trailers App With HD/SD Playback, Speed Enhancements

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 29, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today updated its iTunes Movie Trailers app to version 1.2.3, adding an option that allows mobile users to switch between HD and SD quality when watching a trailer on the iPhone or iPod touch with Retina display or on the iPad.

[​IMG]
    The update adds improvements to video playback, decreasing the time that it takes for a trailer to begin playing. The new version of the app also allows for movie tickets to be purchased through the Fandango app.
    iTunes Movie Trailers is a free universal app that can be downloaded from the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Apple Updates iTunes Movie Trailers App With HD/SD Playback, Speed Enhancements

2. macrumors newbie

thank the Lord!!:)

3. macrumors 65816

tevion5

I...I did not know this app was a thing.

4. macrumors regular

flowsy

C'mon Apple! Let me have that app in germany!

5. macrumors regular

Ade-iMac-177

Still not available in the UK :(

6. macrumors member

jakebot

bring it to Canada! I don't understand why I can have this app on my apple tv, but not on my ipad.

7. Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

8. macrumors G5

nagromme

I wish IMDB and YouTube would play trailers without buffering every 4 seconds. Since they won't... I'm glad to have this alternative.

9. macrumors 6502

If Jobs was still there, it would automatically detect whether your connection could support SD or HD.

10. macrumors 65816

lunaoso

I wish Google would add the HD/SD playback option to their YouTube app. I hate how it randomly decides that my download speed isn't good enough when I have 20-25 down on average.

11. macrumors 6502

Link Points to iTunes U

Why does the link take me to iTunes U?

12. NameUndecided, May 29, 2013
    Last edited: May 29, 2013

macrumors 6502a

It's funny that I have just about the opposite experience. For the trailers app on Apple TV, I can at least pause the video at the very beginning and let a video load all or most of the way so it won't stop in the middle. On iOS though, it will stop downloading about halfway through until I start playing the video a bit, so I've never really been able to use the app to watch a video without interruption. But YouTube works perfectly great for me.

edit: Hey. Nifty. The update does improve upon what I just described a bit. A video won't load all the way to the end, still, but I'll let it go as far as it will and then press play and hope that it continues to load steady enough while it's playing. Two out of three HD videos just now kept up to the end. It's still not entirely dependable but it's better than it was for me.

13. macrumors 65816

Risco

Still not available in the UK.....:mad:

14. macrumors 604

Exactly the same experience here. Just horrible, stops for buffering to the point where it's unusable. I'll try the new version and see if there's any improvement.

15. macrumors member

Same thing happens to me. The App is not available in the UK iTunes Store so we get directed to iTunes U instead. Curious.

16. macrumors newbie

Jobs was not a magician - just because your connection has the bandwidth to support HD streaming, doesn't mean your provider gives you an adequate enough monthly data allowance to afford copious amounts of HD video data.

17. BlueParadox, May 29, 2013
    Last edited: May 29, 2013

macrumors regular

Yep, same here - not available in Australia for some absurd reason.

Does it have something to with the release dates of films here in Australia (and elsewhere outside of the U.S) being different to America's? Exclusivity of the content by another company? And yet I can easily go to the trailer page and view them; but I like the simplicity and neatness of the trailer app. Ah well, no big deal, just odd :confused:

18. macrumors 65816

i was about to ask if it existed in germany, didnt know it existed at all

----------

Apps that think they can do that are the worst.
    alot claim to be able to, none work for me, the always choose HD, and i have max down speed of 175KB/s.
    Im glad u can choose, hate it when they dont let you

19. macrumors regular

Get a US account people.
    The content is obviously greater, and prices can be half that locally.

20. macrumors 65816

Been thinking about ordering a US gift card on ebay.

Annoying thing is to manage devices with contents from different store accounts. iTunes always complains bout wrong account, cant put that on, blah blah blah

wish they would make it easier to have several accounts, but clearly they dont want people to have that

21. macrumors 65816

how pathetic of them:mad:

22. macrumors 65816

Mike MA

Didn't even know it was existing up until now :confused:

23. macrumors 65816

GenesisST

In some countries, like Canada, we often don't have unlimited bandwidth even for cable or DSL, etc. I think it is starting to appear here, with an extra charge (of course).

Bottom line is, I'd rather have the option of selecting it than not.

I guess Apple is thinking about lawyers more than users on this one. :D

24. macrumors 68020

Solomani

About time they updated that! Even Apple's own website for Movie Trailers has gotten broken links and server errors due to neglect lately!

I always did like watching movie trailers from the Quicktime Movie Trailers website. And now this app seems to be the improved mobile way of doing so.

----------

Not always.

In some cases, I wanted to purchase certain U2 (limited edition) albums that only appear on the UK iTunes Store. Many such albums are considered "foreign imports" and are very hard to get in the USA. Even the physical albums (formerly CDs) were hard to obtain in the US when chains like Tower Records were around.