Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has posted iTunes 7.4.2 for Mac and Windows today.

What’s New in this Version
iTunes 7.4.2 addresses an issue with creating ringtones using iTunes Plus song purchases and includes bug fixes to improve stability and performance.

Apple recently introduced 7.4.1 on September 7th. The 7.4.1 update had disabled a workaround that allowed users to create their own ringtones out of any song. No word on whether or not the 7.4.2 update causes any problems with unofficial ringtones.

Article Link

dizastor

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2001
Los Angeles
I'd be curious to see if iToner still works.

Seems they've stepped up the development a few notches, most likely to keep record labels happy for a little while.

SalsaShark

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2000
Sure does (cause problems). My own ringtones are gone from the Ringtone tab. Tried re-making and importing them, but it won't accept them. Also synced and removed ringtones from the phone.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
If this fixed a bug creating ringtones with 256k iTunes+ songs they didn't do a very good job because I still can't do it with any John Lennon iTunes+ songs.

chr1s60

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2007
California
My iTunes still says 7.4.1 is current. That should change soon though. So iToner 1.0.1 is still working but MakeiPhoneRingtone isn't?

swwack91

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2007
New Jersey
it hopefully addresses some problems that people are complaining about Classics taking forever to be recognized and taking forever to be ejected.

that, and the fact that people's new iPods are crashing after transferring large chunks of info...

hopefully...

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
Weird...my Lennon songs from iTunes don't work....and less of my old ones seems to work :(

"While My Guitar Gently Weeps" by Phish can no longer be made into a Ringtone...but I had already made it one :(

Retired
May 16, 2006
*Crosses fingers for unlikely event that this is to provide compatibility for UK iPhone released tomorrow*

Fuchal

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2003
My MakeiPhoneRingtone.app ringtones are gone after updating.

Oh well :D All iTunes updates are welcome, since its probably the most heavily used app on my system!

Zolk

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2006
The capacity bar for my iPhone in iTunes is no longer specifying the media types. It just says "Other."

Update: Actually it looks like my music is no longer showing up on the iPhone, even though it's still taking up disk space. When trying to sync, iTunes says the phone is linked to another copy of iTunes. I told it to erase and re-sync, but it's refusing the delete the music now identified as "Other" and tells me there's not enough space to to sync my music library.

aliquis-

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2007
Ok, can someone tell me how it's "positive" when Apples updates the version of iTunes just to make it harder to make your own ringtone?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.