Apple Updates .Mac

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 7, 2007.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

As rumored, Apple has updated its .Mac services suite.

In addition to Web Gallery, which was introduced as an integrated part of iLife '08, Apple is bumping up the standard storage size from 1 GB to 10 GB. The price remains $99 for a one year personal subscription. Family packs are available.

Article Link

2. macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

Unless we see some improved functionality, this is a pretty lame update. Certainly not worthy of mentioning months ago when asked about a .Mac revamp.

3. macrumors 6502

Not impressed so far. I'm canceling and not turning back as soon as someone comes up with a good way to sync my contacts between my Mac Mini and my iBook.

4. macrumors regular

DamnDJ

Still not free :(

5. macrumors 6502

WOW, I think this is really sweet, I love the 10 GB upgrade. I have been using the 1 GB storage for a while and I was almost full with it. I will renew my subscription soon again!!!

6. macrumors newbie

Not just yet...

Still not going to buy it... I'll wait for Back to my Mac in Leopard.

7. macrumors member

Merser

1GB to 10GB

Any guess as to whether or not that is extended to current subscribers? I just renewed 1.5 months ago???

8. macrumors 68030

CmdrLaForge

I am really disappointed with the new dotMac. When Steve talked about it at D5 I really thought he knows that they should bring it to a new level. Maybe with integration of some Google services like documents etc.

I will not subscribe if thats all.

9. macrumors 6502a

CANEHDN

At least it's 10GB. That's way more than I would have thought they would do. Hopefully they continue to add stuff in the near future.

10. macrumors 65816

kalisphoenix

Drat. That's fairly unimpressive.

11. macrumors member

is this the end of the event? I heard it was suposed to be 3 hours

12. macrumors member

I am happy with the update to .Mac services. 10GB and seamless integration is worth it.

13. macrumors regular

That's seriously all they could do with it? I've never seen such a pathetic attempt by Apple, that's lasted this insanely long on the market. Well, the iTV is headed there I guess.

Really though, how many years has that service been around? How many ways do you really need to share a few photos? My god. :mad:

14. macrumors member

Yes!

All members get 10GB. I just logged into .Mac and it says my account now features 10GB. Sadly I'll have to wait for iPhoto 7 to use the web galleries :(

15. macrumors member

A crumb

This is a disappointing upgrade to dot mac. I use dot mac to sync info between two computers, publish calendars to the web, make iweb sites, and do backups. I know I can do all these things in other ways but I like the one button ease of it all. I would leave it if something as easy came along.

I know that people in these forums get upset when the announcement doesn't meet their expectations. So this is not a rant. But I hope that Apple delivers something much more in the near future.

16. macrumors 68040

I think I just might have to subscribe. I was expecting 8GB, so 10GB is a pleasant surprise. My current email is getting swamped with junk (mail.app does filter it, but it takes time and it fills up my webmail), so .mac email might be a nice change.

17. macrumors 68020

srobert

10GB is sweet but dang! I love the new web interface and upload/download speeds! It'S so responsive now!

Attached Files:

18. macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

Yes, don't fret, they upgrade everybody. This is pretty sweet upgrade for me, every year I'm impressed and have suscribed now for 3 years.

19. macrumors 6502a

2:33 EST and I still have 1 GB of space...

waiting to upload :rolleyes:

20. macrumors regular

I was going to let my subscription laps in October, but think I'll renew now. 10 GB and cleaner personal domains are sweet. I really like how easy it is to publish w/ iWeb, iPhoto, and iMovie. Not to mention the synch and offsite backups.

21. macrumors 6502

FriarTuck

I can now use my own domain name, and storage and bandwidth get significant bumps. Good enough for me.

22. macrumors 6502a

izzle22

Never Going To Be Free! Get yahoo if you want free. iPods arn't free either.

23. macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

This may seem like a stupid question but does that space upgrade also include email storage?

Ok it looks like not. DOH

24. macrumors 68020

srobert

Yes. You choose how much space gets alloted to .Mac Mail in the settings then the rest is used by iDisk.

25. macrumors 68020

Willis

argh... we added more space to our .Mac account about 2/3 months back... bah!