Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac One

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2007
NZ
.Mac sounds much better now - 10GB of storage!
I wish they offered a service for cheaparses like me - with a single email alias + small amount of storage (like before) - I probably don't have 10Gb of stuff worth backing up!

dialectician

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2006
Not free, but backup is worth every cent!

You know what? .Mac will never take off until Apple makes it free like MSN or FaceBook. They don't stand a chance, and I think it's a very stupid move on Apple. I have a lot of friends that own Macs - but none of them use .Mac for sharing photos or anything (actually they don't use it at all). Nobody wants to pay for this kind of service, including myself. If it was free I am sure all of us would try it out and start using it and Apple would get a lot of "internet market share" and be able to make money on advertising and what else comes with this kind of community. But now... not happening.

True, dot.mac is not free. But the backup application and its integration with the idisk is worth every cent! I love the fact that every morning, when I turn on my machine, my most important documents, settings and preferences are backed up to the idisk. I don't have to plug in any peripherals, FW drives, nothing. It just works. That's why it's worth the $99 price tag for me. Not for the social and entertainment stuff like photos, etc.

Caezar

macrumors 6502
I found yesterday's keynote outstanding. I was waiting for updated versions of iLife, iWork (for the spreadsheet application) and .Mac and Apple delivered everything I craved for.

Now about .Mac:

1. I tested .Mac 2 years ago as part of the trial program. Is the account I created re-usable when I sign up for good? Can I elect to continue that account? Or will I have to create a new one?

2. How much does the extra-storage (20GB, etc.) options cost? I could not find the info anywhere on Apple's website.

3. If I buy today on eBay a .Mac retail box that was "manufactured" prior to the event and activate the license, I assume I will benefit from the new conditions (10GB). Correct?

Caezar

Badradio

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2004
Manchester
Good news. May stock up on a few then!
I got one in the day-after-thanksgiving sale for about £36. Even without that extra discount, at the current exchange rates it's well worth buying a couple, and it's not like the codes expire.

Now about .Mac:

1. I tested .Mac 2 years ago as part of the trial program. Is the account I created re-usable when I sign up for good? Can I elect to continue that account? Or will I have to create a new one?
Your account name is never deleted as it's your Apple username/password, so you can resurrect it at any time.
2. How much does the extra-storage (20GB, etc.) options cost? I could not find the info anywhere on Apple's website.
For 20gig total, it's an extra £34.99, for 30 it's £68.99. I can't access US pricing, but that should give you a ballpark figure. Either way, it's a LOT.
3. If I buy today on eBay a .Mac retail box that was "manufactured" prior to the event and activate the license, I assume I will benefit from the new conditions (10GB). Correct?
Yes.

Hope that helps.

flashy-cat

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2007
UK
True, dot.mac is not free. But the backup application and its integration with the idisk is worth every cent! I love the fact that every morning, when I turn on my machine, my most important documents, settings and preferences are backed up to the idisk. I don't have to plug in any peripherals, FW drives, nothing. It just works. That's why it's worth the $99 price tag for me. Not for the social and entertainment stuff like photos, etc.

Agreed. Not everyone uses .mac to showcase their photos to Aunty Ethel in New Zealand.

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
Wonderful. I was all ready to buy .mac (I have a trial account) but it is down this morning. Is this the type of (non-)service that I can expect?

jg2000

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2007
all you negative people kill me, you're mentally ill. what do you want? Any upgrade is a plus, don't you get that yet? You're all spoiled babies that have no idea what's cool and you're going to die angry. end of story, now grow up.

jg2000

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2007
Wonderful. I was all ready to buy .mac (I have a trial account) but it is down this morning. Is this the type of (non-)service that I can expect?

no, they said there would be maintenance, i've never had a problem with .mac

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
no, they said there would be maintenance, i've never had a problem with .mac
Sorry, I'm new to .mac - where did they say there would be maintenance? Where do I look for this info? AT&T Yahoo can be slow, but I don't think I have seen it completely down more than once in the several years that I have been with them.

EDIT: Back up now.

wattso

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2006
Chester UK
Hrm, I can't seem to be able to 'skim' in the Emily Parker web gallery (
HTML:
http://gallery.mac.com/emily_parker
) Trivial know, but anyone know why this is?

Lone Deranger

macrumors 68000
Apr 23, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
Signed up for an account last night and everything's working just great. Even managed to link up my personal domain and upload my website (never done this before) from iWeb without having to upgrade to iLife '08. Nice! :)

Anyway, I'd like to purchase a dotmac account for my parents. Is it adviseable for me to pay for and enable the account for them and then hand over all login/pass details or might there be difficulties in doing it this way?
Getting a family expansion pack seems to be a less interesting option in this case as the data offerings are divided in four non customizable packets whereas they'd need just one account.

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
Getting a family expansion pack seems to be a less interesting option in this case as the data offerings are divided in four non customizable packets whereas they'd need just one account.
I'm showing my ignorance, but what do you mean by this? What are the family pack limitations? I need accounts for myself and my wife (2 accounts only), so the family account seems sort of expensive, but AFAIK it is the only way to share data between the accounts.

Also, I notice that the .mac retail packages have changed part numbers. Can I still buy the older pack (4.0 I think) and register it? Will it give me the new storage space and services? You would think so since non-Apple stores will stick have these on the shelves for a while.

Lone Deranger

macrumors 68000
Apr 23, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
Not a limitation persé, but reading the description it says:

"Each of the four Family Pack sub-accounts has 2.5 GB of combined email and iDisk storage, plus complete .Mac features......"

Seeing as I don't need four sub accounts but just one additional account it would make more sense to pay just a little more and get the full 10GB storage wouldn't you agree? :)

I'm showing my ignorance, but what do you mean by this? What are the family pack limitations?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.