Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today pushed out another update to its OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion developer preview program, moving to build 12A206j. The update comes on top of build 12A193i, which was released on May 1.

12a206j.jpg

Apple notes that "MacBookPro3,1", which corresponds to mid and late 2007 machines, is not compatible with the new build, but that issue will be rectified in a later build.

No other details on improvements in the latest build are available yet, but it certainly appears that Apple is making some of its final tweaks for developers leading up to its Worldwide Developers Conference less than four weeks away. Apple is expected to provide extensive previews of OS X Mountain Lion at the conference, with a public launch scheduled for "late summer".

The new Mountain Lion build is still a bit short of the 12A211 build spotted in a Geekbench entry for an apparently unreleased MacBook Pro earlier this week. While that entry could have been faked, the data does match closely with what is known about upcoming Ivy Bridge MacBook Pro models, and Primate Labs believes the entry to be legitimate.

Article Link: Apple Updates OS X Mountain Lion Developer Preview to Build 12A206j

ristlin

Mar 29, 2012
So Apple didn't update OS X Mountain Lion Developer Preview to Retina Display build? I'm surprised.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
Very encouraging.

I'm in no rush, it's important that they sort it out properly.

The more updates they push out before public release, the better :)

marcusj0015

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2011
U.S.A.
So Apple didn't update OS X Mountain Lion Developer Preview to Retina Display build? I'm surprised.

... Lion is Partially REtina compadible, and I'm sure they have complete builds on 10.7 & 10.8 that are fully REtina, but why would they release it publicly?

Spetsnazos

macrumors regular
May 3, 2012
LOL @ Retina display. Thats exactly what every developer wants! They want a resolution so high that they will need an external graphics card to be able to run the display.

Is this real life? Release more info for developers and allow us to program on Windows so we don't have to buy overpriced laptops with sub-par components...

hoing

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2010
Pfft. What a joke. Hurry up apple, you corrupt company! With all that liquid cash you would think they could pull this out early. What a joke.

Posted from my Droid Razr Maxx (HeHAW)

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
Why should they? There are no production Retina Displays in the field.

If there are Retina Display Macs in a lab in Cupertino or Shenzhen, they are probably running special forks of both Lion and Mountain Lion anyhow.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Pfft. What a joke. Hurry up apple, you corrupt company! With all that liquid cash you would think they could pull this out early. What a joke.

You're absolutely right. Obviously Apple is not spending enough money to develop ML just because they're cheap.

Apple's corruption and frugality is what is delaying the release of ML.

You're so perspicacious in pointing out that they should release it sooner. All that bull crap about about proper testing and de-bugging so we get a smooth running OS with a minimum amount of bugs and glitches is just Apple's corruption and refusal to spend any money on hiring enough developers to get ML out sooner.

Boy, I'm glad somebody finally told the truth about all this.

Thanks for your eye opening post.

:rolleyes:

Last edited:

PlutoPrime

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2009
LOL @ Retina display. Thats exactly what every developer wants! They want a resolution so high that they will need an external graphics card to be able to run the display.

Is this real life? Release more info for developers and allow us to program on Windows so we don't have to buy overpriced laptops with sub-par components...

Why don't you go pickup a pc, put DOS or Linux on it & hook it up to a CRT monitor and you can enjoy the power that will crackle out of the crevices of your "power-user" system to p0WN all the things with EZ.

Last edited by a moderator:

djrod

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2008
Madrid - Spain

I don't want to develop in a sub-par OS :rolleyes:

shurcooL

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
Why should they? There are no production Retina Displays in the field.

If there are Retina Display Macs in a lab in Cupertino or Shenzhen, they are probably running special forks of both Lion and Mountain Lion anyhow.
There's no need for a "fork", it's the same Lion and Mountain Lion, just change 1 thing in a preferences file and HiDPI modes are enabled.

enable-hidpi-resolutions-lion.jpg

Last edited:

Batten

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2009
You're so perspicacious in pointing out that they should release it sooner. All that bull crap about about proper testing and de-bugging so we get a smooth running OS with a minimum about of bugs and glitches is just Apple's corruption and refusal to spend any money on hiring enough developers to get ML out sooner.

:rolleyes:

This wait is getting a bit ridiculous though. I can't even remember when Lion came out, but I'm pretty sure it was mid-2005. Since then Microsoft have launched two updates to Windows. So there!

hardwickj

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2009

Ahh yes. Using your logic one could throw nine women at a pregnancy and give you a baby in one month. We know how well that works.

As a software developer myself, I despise fools like you. You are the middle managers of the software developer world who have no understanding of how to manage software teams. You think the only solution is to throw more money+people at problems. Then you stand confused when the software becomes more broken and delays grow even bigger.

Thankfully, people like you are not behind any of the software in our world that is actually worth a damn.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I get less excited about new OS X releases lately. It used to be a feeling of "what awesome new features are we going to get?" These days it feels more like "What is Apple going to take away or dumb down?" or "Are they going to cripple OS X to make it like iOS"

Maybe I'm being paranoid or unreasonable, but it feels like ever since iOS took off, that's the company's main focus and us Mac users have been somewhat left behind.

The fact that we haven't seen a Mac Pro in so long is also depressing.

Spetsnazos

macrumors regular
May 3, 2012
Why don't you go pickup a pc, put DOS or Linux on it hook it up to a CRT monitor and you can enjoy the power that will crackle out of the crevices of your "power-user" system to p0WN all the things with EZ.

What is this I don't even. When you get an engineering degree, we can discuss half the things you mentioned, until then enjoy your car that uses petrol. IC engines are used because oil is plentiful and easily restored...not because of any kind of conspiracy.

Last edited by a moderator:

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
I get less excited about new OS X releases lately. It used to be a feeling of "what awesome new features are we going to get?" These days it feels more like "What is Apple going to take away or dumb down?" or "Are they going to cripple OS X to make it like iOS"

Maybe I'm being paranoid or unreasonable, but it feels like ever since iOS took off, that's the company's main focus and us Mac users have been somewhat left behind.

The fact that we haven't seen a Mac Pro in so long is also depressing.

You're not the only one, there are many of us who feel this way and with good reason.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.