Apple Updates Online Store With Touch-Friendly Navigation and Search Result Tweaks

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 5, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today rolled out a few minor tweaks to its online store (via Mac Otakara), making it easier to navigate the store on touchscreen devices such as the iPhone and iPad.

One change involves a new sliding navigation bar for product categories. From the main store page, once users select one of the four main shopping categories (Mac, iPad, iPhone, iPod), the navigation bar at the top of category page showing various products and other topics within that category can now be slid back and forth with the touch of a finger. Users on non-touch devices can slide the bar by clicking on arrows at each end.

[​IMG]
    A second change involves product search results, which had previously been presented as lists of items. Results are now presented in a grid formatted to allow easy tapping on touch-enabled devices. Users on non-touch devices will also see arrows appearing on either side of each product image allowing them to view all associated product images without having to click through to the product pages.

[​IMG]
    Apple's change should notably improve the user experience on the iPad, where the large screen can take full advantage of the grid-based search results and where Apple does not have a dedicated app for shopping the store. The company's Apple Store app has been iPhone-only since its July 2010 launch, with Apple believed to be refraining from making it a universal app with a native iPad interface under the view that the iPad allows for a full web experience.

Article Link: Apple Updates Online Store With Touch-Friendly Navigation and Search Result Tweaks

2. macrumors regular

About time...

3. macrumors 6502a

I wonder if in this new look for the Apple Store we may get a hint as to the direction/look of the upcoming ios7

4. macrumors 6502a

Agreed.

5. macrumors G4

Chupa Chupa

Seems broken... I navigate to Mac Pro and it still shows me the one from 2010. :D

6. macrumors G5

Rogifan

I wondered how long it would take for someone to mention MacPro. :D

7. macrumors G3

charlituna

I heard a rumor that the search results now downgrade all hits from Google

But I'm sure it's just a minor server error and will be fixed tomorrow

8. macrumors member

ArchAndroid

Still better than the UK - I navigate to the Mac Pro and there is no option to buy... :rolleyes:

9. macrumors 68030

needfx

Attached Files:

10. macrumors 601

That's what I'm thinking too. Hoping so.

11. JAT
    macrumors 603

Silly.

12. macrumors 6502a

:O Touch Screen Macbook Pros Comming!

13. macrumors 6502

somethingelsefl

O...M....G...this must mean touch-screen Macs! :p

14. macrumors 6502

As much as I'd love a sneak peak, it still looks basically like the same old Apple Store to me :(

15. macrumors 68030

macs4nw

Neglected Pro users need a little TLC.....:D

16. needfx, Apr 5, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2013

macrumors 68030

needfx

some people...

do you really find that a touch enabled desktop computer is actually comfortable to use?

hasn't HP already made such products and failed miserably?

17. macrumors 65832

Tankmaze

Apple : one iteration at a time. They immediately make the site retina ready when the ipad 3 launched, but the touch friendly site just now. Thats silly

18. macrumors 6502a

iLilana

while this seems fine

still no mac pros. However I would really welcome large touch screen mac monitors. It would make using the software I use a lot more convenient. The laptop with wireless monitor would be nice too.

19. macrumors G4

Chupa Chupa

With that attitude the the iPad would have never have come into existence, given the disaster of Windows Tablets. Implementation is everything and just b/c HP doesn't do a good job doesn't mean Apple can't design something that is intuitive and improving upon people's current work flow.

20. macrumors 65816

Dave.UK

I was wondering how long it would take before someone would make a reference to Android, Samsung or Google on a totally unrelated article.

Post 7 was the winner :rolleyes:

21. macrumors 6502a

Nunyabinez

I used to be firmly anti touch screen desktop but I am starting to re-think my position. Clearly, touching a screen all day long would be awful, but having the option to do some things by touch would be cool. I already use the track pad and have come to rely heavily on the gestures that are available.

I'm still worried about fingerprints as I am OCDish about my screen, but I'm willing to wait and see how Apple implements this kind of ability, assuming that they ever do.

22. macrumors 6502a

phillipduran

Nice change for iOS users. I hope this isn't a start down the path to touch desktops. I wouldn't think it would be but since Apple has often tossed out the "Post PC Era" phrase a few times, anything can happen.

23. Krazy Bill, Apr 5, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2013

macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Can I check the inventory of my local Apple Store yet?

Edit: I discovered you can check the availability of your product for any store. (But I think this has always been there :eek:)

24. macrumors 6502

this would be a great update !

25. macrumors 68020

Oh sure it's a bit buggy, but give them time to workout the kinks and the result will be quite nice.