Apple USB Modem & intel iMac

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by skinny1, Jan 24, 2006.

1. skinny1 macrumors newbie

Other than I should not have bought it can anyone help? I picked up an Intel iMac and an apple usb modem. I only use the modem to receive and send a fax. (This is how I still do it on my powerbook.) anytime that you plug the usb modem in and try to access it in the system preferences OR when you start to receive a fax the whole system freezes. You have to hold the power button in and wait for a restart OR you get the gray screen that says restart your computer because it is jacked up. I was on the phone with apple care and went through everything and then took it to the local mac store and went through everything, yet neither could get it to work, but they keep telling me that it works....yet it still freezes when you try to receive a fax or check on fax settings....can anyone help?:confused:

2. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

open up console in the utility folder, and look error generated when you plugged in the modem. also what is the exact error message when one pops up?

does the modem do this when you plug it into your powerbook?

3. moooosedude macrumors member

moooosedude

hmm i think this could be more serious then you think....a mac freezing up from apple hardware...last time that happened was when my imac g5 logic board was shorted, so pluging in a usb mouse key board modem, w/e, would freeze it up to the please hold resart message in 40 different languages.

thank god for applecare....900 bucks later the compute runs fine.

but seriously...call apple because it can just get worse and worse to the point that its unuseable....

4. skinny1 thread starter macrumors newbie

in the consol it just says that the modem is in and dectected. no error messages or anything else. Now when this happens it is a full system freeze My question is will it record error messages in that situation? Are they arcived in a specific loacation:confused: ? Thanks

5. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

they should be recorded some place in console, there are multiple logs there, but it should be the one that comes up when you open it. anyway, you might have to look around. As to recording the error message when it freezes, it might or might not depends on the nature of the error and weather the driver had to time to out an error message before it took a dump.

my question is does it work on your powerbook still stands? If it does that you means you maybe able to update firmware for that particular modem if it is out there. I assume you have all the lastest updates with your firmware. does you Mac freeze with any other USB devices?

or a simple firmware update to the modem could solve the issue. you haven't even ruled out it is the modem or a software problem yet. you don't even know if other usb devices fail when you plug it in.

6. skinny1 thread starter macrumors newbie

My guess is two things, software issues that will need to be an apple update, or hardware trouble on its way...seriously if anyone can give me direction let me know cuz APPLE can't answer this question at this time....

7. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

seriously if you answer my question, i could tell you what to do. you can update the software in the hardware called firmware, but you have to do what I tell you do otherwise i cannot help you.

8. skinny1 thread starter macrumors newbie

SOLVED:) This was the issue, in the sync of two macs one "classic" file found its way over to the intel iMac. Lets just say that classic and intel do not want to be around each other without causing a full freeze on a regular basis. Thanks to all for your input.

9. Brendanmac macrumors newbie

usb modem causes 10.5.2 to freeze

others are having the same problem (including me) type the following into google to see the extent of the thread

10.5.2 and Apple External Modem Dialup - computer freezes when dialing

good luck and please explain any fix

cheers