Apple used some of my ideas and bits of design in iTunes 5; What to do?

Discussion in 'Community' started by iindigo, Sep 7, 2005.

1. iindigo macrumors 6502a

iindigo

Hello -

Apple's recently released iTunes 5 takes a few design cues and and idea or two from my music player skiTunes. Apple did this without my permission; What should I do?

Here's what has seem to be taken from my player's design and ideas:

• General window layout: Top bar, middle playlist, and bottom button bar
    • Volume control separate from play controls
    • Unified-toolbarish top bar (my player uses a unified toolbar)
    • Folders in playlist system
    • More squared LCD display

That's all I've spotted for the moment. If anyone notices more, please post it here. I've included a couple screenshots comparing the two.

What do you guys think I should do? Just forget about it and go on, try to get reimbursement for the ideas, get them to hire me or what?

Attached Files:

2. kalisphoenix macrumors 65816

kalisphoenix

Considering that most people have been ranting about how ugly iTunes 5 is, I don't think I'd be stepping forward like this... :p

3. vniow macrumors G4

So Apple makes iTunes, you make an app that looks like iTunes and now Apple makes an iTunes which looks vaguely like the app you made?
    Why are you complaining?

4. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

If they used the System Prefs theme, like he did, iTunes would be perfect. As for you well, I don't think that you have much of a case, seeing as your player is quite similar to the original iTunes...

5. iindigo thread starter macrumors 6502a

iindigo

I'm not. I just took the iTunes interface and changed it to what I thought it should have been as well as added some of my own things, and it seems Apple has taken it back from me. I just think if they want my design ideas they should ask me or hire me if they want that part of design I added/changed.

6. jestershinra macrumors regular

OP- I think you're SOL...

Unless you have the money to fight them in court, you might just cut your losses.

7. Nuc macrumors 6502a

Nuc

??

Yea.. don't see anything that looks to similar... So roll around you'll be alright.

Nuc

8. iindigo thread starter macrumors 6502a

iindigo

What's SOL? I'm not familiar with that term.

9. jiv3turkey748 macrumors 6502a

jiv3turkey748

you should have asked them before taking their design and interface ideas

10. iindigo thread starter macrumors 6502a

iindigo

If I did that, the guaranteed answer would be no. Apple wouldn't listen to the people's requests featurewise, and I wanted an improved iTunes - it's the only logical thing I could think of doing.

And come up with a 100% new design that's better than iTunes? Fat chance, iTunes is the best in organizational design - there's no way I could come up with a new, better design (trust me, I tried).

11. Jopling macrumors 6502

12. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

$#!t Out of Luck, my friend.

Unless of course you filed a patent sometime in the '90s detailing "A unique way of organizing columns and rows of audio-visual files for playback on a general computing device" but Microsoft or Creative may havce beaten you to that...

13. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Are you for real?

Let me get this: You copied iTunes, and now you accuse Apple of copying you?

You need to increase your medication... :rolleyes:

14. geese macrumors 6502a

geese

Its going to be really difficult proving your case. Whilst Itunes 5 does have a SIMILAR layout to your app, its not a carbon copy of it as there are some differences.

To be honest, I doubt Apple would rip someones design off like that. It'd have to go through lots of user-testing and changes would be made in response to the interface, differentiating it further from yours.

There isnt alot you can do really. Write to Apple perhaps and ask them to explain why IT 5 is similar to your layout. You might get a decent response.

Your best bet is to consider your interface design skills as good as Apples! think of the bragging rights!

15. maya macrumors 68040

maya

You are not trying hard enough apparently. ;) :)

I can come up with multiple designs in no time flat. :)

16. maya macrumors 68040

maya

Here here, Agreed. ;) :p :)

17. iindigo thread starter macrumors 6502a

iindigo

No, all I'm saying is that I'd like to have credit for my additions/changes to the iTunes interface. Is that really too much to ask?

As for those comparing me to creative and others, please don't. All I want is credit for my ideas/work; Not even money. Just simple 'ol credit.

18. iindigo thread starter macrumors 6502a

iindigo

Heh, well maybe, but if the designs are anything like Winamp's you can just keep the ideas. From a good interface designer's perspective Winamp is an interface nightmare. Also - I limit my designs to what can done with native widgets/windows - none of this custom interface crap like Apple uses with iTunes.

19. fistful macrumors 6502a

fistful

I think about the only thing you'll receive in contacting them to complain is cease and desist order if you even get a response at all.

20. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

How do you know they used your ideas? Is it not possible that Apple employees thought of these things themselves? It's not like you came up w/anything brilliantly unique or earth shattering. I mean, seriously, there are only so many ways you can tweak the existing iTunes UI so isn't it common sense to think that different people can come up w/the same ideas given the limitations they have to work within?

Lethal

21. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

Too much to ask? Yes.

This is because Apple didn't "steel" your interface. You're making it sound like YOU designed iTunes, which clearly you didn't.

22. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

this is not too dissimilar from what happened to me. i make freeware games, with the intention that people will pay NOTHING at all to play them. only some brazillian thought it wise to add my game to one of those multi-Game discs you see on cheap markets. didn't even ask my permission.

chances are you wont get far if you try pressing charges. I did. couldn't do anything in the end.

23. maya macrumors 68040

maya

Cone now people, this member is just seeking acknowledgment for his similar design. I never even knew till this thread that an app called "skitunes" existed.

In short, NO. Apple did not steal your idea(s) in regards to the UI and the forders. These are features that users have been requesting for ages. Where else you you expect Apple to place the folders. Sure the iTunes UI team is going for a new look, regardless if some people like or dislike it. Just odd to many that there is no consistency among the Apple UI apps. :p

24. iindigo thread starter macrumors 6502a

iindigo

Read again. Not the entire interface, but just the parts I added and changed is all I want credit for. Apple designed the original interface and most certainly deserve credit for that.

25. maya macrumors 68040

maya

def not WinAmp, far better. :)

iTunes UI team can do way better, it seems they are running low on UI designs or saving them up for whatever new OS version/update is around the corner. You can only do so much with a 2D canvas. Effects are nice, however it comes down to the same resolution in the end. :)