Apple & Voltzwagon

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc. Rumors' started by MacAddict, Feb 10, 2002.

1. MacAddict macrumors newbie

I Have found a distinct similarity between Apple and Voltzwagon, their ads with white backrounds, their "different" "what will we think of next" kind of philosophy. VW is to cars as Apple is to computers.
    Anybody else agree with me?:rolleyes: :D :cool: :confused: :) :p ;)

Attached Files:

2. ebound macrumors member

Try a spell checka

I've never seen a Voltzwagon commercial, but I HAVE seen Volkswagen commercials.

Ok, I'm done sounding like a jerk for today. But yes, you made a very good point there. I myself noticed that a while back.

3. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I think u have a point...

:p personally, I've always felt the new Beetle looks very similar to the old iMac...

4. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Re: Apple & Voltzwagon

Ummm... in a simple phrase... 'hell-no'. Apple is wayyy better then vw. I would NEVER consider buying or driving, or even riding in a vw, but I own two Mac's and support over 250 at work.

I equate Apple to Harley Davidson. They both produce a product that many others have knock-off's of, but they produce superior products. They both cost more then the competition, but hold their value longer, and are worth the price. You can buy a Harley, roll off the lot, and sell it for more then you paid for it. You would probably have no problem selling it either (if you wanted to).

Also, educated buyers go with both Apple and HD when it comes down to it. Yes, they might start off on others, but eventually they want the best, and go with either Apple or HD.

5. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

Completely!

Those VW Beetles are the iMac of the automobile world. :D

Offtopic, but I once saw a Beetle parked in downtown Chicago that was painted a flesh-colored pink and had a pink spring attached to the hatch back. When I walked around and looked at the front end, it had ears and a pig nose on the front. A VW Pig!!!

Matthew

6. gelbin macrumors regular

VW is a bit like apple - that according to Jobs himself

For those that were critical of the comparison, i would just refer you to an interview with steve jobs from probably 2 years ago, a few months after the new beetle came out and jobs was walking with the interviewer and he pointed out the new beetle and said something to the effect of - 'now that is what i call getting it right' - or something like that -

i think the comparison is a sound one, and i think steve went on to make this exact point, that the two companies are focus on cutting edge, yet functional design.

7. Kid Red macrumors 65816

Re: Re: Apple & Voltzwagon

I respectfully disagree as i look outside to see my hot and sexy and more bang for the buck then anything in it's class VW Jetta 2000. I guess you've never been inside a Jetta or Bug because if you had, you wouldn't have the opinion that you do. The Jetta simply makes any car in i'ts class laughable. The interior is nothing short of amazing and they made no sacrificies on quiality and detail, sounds like Apple, huh?

Asfor the harley comparission, again, i respectfully disagree. Harleys are loud obnoxious and ugly old school beasts. Nothing against their quality, but PCs are more like Harleys then Apple is. I'd take a Jap bike anyday over a Harley if i was suicidal and rode bikes.

Just start up a harley and that's enough for me to laugh.

VW=Apple is a perfect comparission, nothing on the market looks like any VW, and all their models are simply pure quality.

8. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Re: Re: Re: Apple & Voltzwagon

I have been in more then a few vw's, which is why I will never be in one again. At 6' tall, they are too damned small inside, maybe unless you are driving the damned thing.

As for your opinion of Harley's, the MIGHT have been true for a few years (back when they were partnered with AMF) but not any more. Have you seen any of the new, or current, motorcycles offered by Harley??? They are also making innovations (take the V-rod), just like Apple is. I was briefly considering the Yamaha Road Star Warrior, but the damned thing would cost just as much as a Harley by the time I got it to look how I want (stock pipes and front forks are butt ugly). With the Harley I am buying, I get almost 100 years of heritage behind it, along with a great ride.

People that ride motorcycles are NOT suicidal (maybe the jap bike crotch rocket riders are, but they are also brain damaged).

Another benefit of getting a Harley, go anywhere and you meet another Harley rider and you have something in common, and to talk about. Harley's are also the standard that the jap cruisers are measured by. They have yet to get to that level of quality and comfort. Especially with an air cooled engine.

9. Steve M macrumors newbie

I own two VW New Beetles, a yellow turbo and a black diesel. I also own two dual USB iBooks, and plan to get a hefty dual G5 tower when they're out :)

10. whfsdude macrumors 6502a

Can you do yourself in a VW, no the steering wheel gets in the way. Can you do yourself while using a Mac, no the desk gets in the way.

Point Made!!

11. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Can any current vw do the tasks I want it to? No.

Can current Mac's do the tasks I need them to? Yes.

Does a Harley have the form and function that I need? Yes

nuf said

12. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

??

Hey whfsdude. WTF, dude?

You kookie kids....

Matthew

13. rekras macrumors regular

You just figured this out??? I remember talking about this like 3 years ago. Many, many corporations copy Apple's marketing strategies along with their products, that's nothing new.

-BTW- AlphaTech i heard from tatoo artists that harley riders are the biggest p*ssies when it comes to getting tatoos. Harleys used to be cool when hells angels and sh*t were around and it was bad ass. But now it's just for nerd middle aged guys who want to look cool. To all of them, your definately not.

14. spuncan macrumors 6502

UM yeah thats great

I'm with mrtrumbe WTF whfsdude. but on with Apple comparisions um. Well as in cars I'd have to say Ford. Focus/Taurus= iMac/iBook Fordasauras(excursion)/Mustang=Promacs/powerbook. There. And anyways VW is just a company confused with is self. At first they were a "peoples car" in Nazi germany. Then they transform into a peace loving pot smoking hippies car. Now they're a new sleek freemarkestits car. HUh wtf that confuses me so much. On motor cycles I can't cuz I'm 14 and I've only ever used my uncles dirtbike and 4weeler. So my point in the end kill the stupid Pinkoes. so there

15. rekras macrumors regular

Re: UM yeah thats great

First off, fords suck and hardly ever innovate anything, really bad comparison there. Second off, VW doesn't design their cars for specific groups of people you f*cking idiot, a larger category of people might just find the car to suite their needs better. Third off, your 14 and a hick so shutup.

16. rekras macrumors regular

You just figured this out??? I remember talking about this like 3 years ago. Many, many corporations copy Apple's marketing strategies along with their products, that's nothing new.

17. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

1: I don't have any tattoo's nor do I plan on getting any. 2: you are using past information to judge present people (just like peecee users do to Mac people). 3: I don't care about being a bad a$$. Riding a motorcycle is more then that. You ride for the feeling, and because you enjoy it. I don't give a rat's a$$ what anyone else thinks about me riding, it's my decision, not theirs.

What do you think of all the dumb forks riding around in their cheap a$$ed cars with stereo systems that you can feel two blocks away?? You know, the deaf sheets.

Nothing beats a nice day when you can just jump on your motorcycle and ride. Days like that I rarely have a destination in mind, I just pick a direction and go until I feel like turning around. If you have never done it, then you don't knwo what you are missing.

18. 748s macrumors 6502a

748s

kid red

kid red you don't ride them so any opinion you have on motorcycles is uninformed and appears to be based in fear rather than fact. hey, keep banging the rocks together.

19. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Re: kid red

EXCELLENT point...

20. grrr223 macrumors regular

I think it's a good comparison. It's kinda funn you mention it actually. My good friend is as obsessed with Volkswagen as I am with Apple. Even though I don't know much about cars, and he doesn't know much about computers, we understand each other when we do crazy stuff like him changing the front of his GTI with that of a Jetta or when I go to the apple store every time I walk by it even though I don't have the money to buy a new ocmputer for like 2 more years. They're both companies that make quality products, although I'm not entirely sure how innovative VW is. (I'm not saying they're not, I'm just not aware of it as much as I am Apple)

21. TMay macrumors 68000

Motorcycle comparisons...

Apple compares to BMW in motorcycles, not Harley, though both Harley and BMW have, like Apple, a loyal followings. But if I had the choice of going to the ends of the earth on a bike, I would choose BMW first for its reliability, if not for its smooth ride. (my choice would be R1100GSPD). (In my state, all I see cops on are BMW's. and maybe some Japanese bikes. No Harley's)

Harley is noted for is customization potential, which is almost anti-ethical to the Mac design philosophy. This is born out by the fact that you could build a complete "Harley" without any "Harley" parts.

But these comparisons are certainly only my opinions.

Apple's iMac design cues are, on the surface, like the (new) VW Beetle, but the VW has been around for almost 70 years. iMac, 4 years. Both were designed for function. There isn't anything to even compare with the Beetle design for longevity.

As for innovation, the W engine (2 V-6's stitched together to form a 450 HP V-12, that's a lot of valves) is pretty radical, should see it soon in either an Audi or a Passat. This is in keeping with the Macs dual processor philosophy!

22. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

TMay,

The reason I prefer the Harley is because of the beauty in the machine. To me BMW has a butt-ugly engine design (with the pistons right in front of your feet). Harley has 99 years behind it (turns 100 in 2003 :D).

The V-Rod is like the new iMac, a complete re-design of an item, including several innovations.

23. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

Apple has been classed with Harley Davidson in many instances when talking about brand loyalty. It seems Harley fans are so diehard that they remain loyal no matter what....seems awfully familiar to some of us here don't u think?

24. amichalo macrumors regular

My two cents

(1) AlphaTech - I know people are flaming you, but you kinda brought it on yourself. Don't loose your cool man.

(2) VW has drastically improved build quality, cabin refinements, engine quality, and (to six footers like me too), cabin space. The new Passat is quite similar to the Audi A4 (BTW, VW owns Audi), the Jetta and New Beattle regualarly win comparison tests and annual awards from the likes of Automobile Magazine, Car and Driver, Road and Track, etc.

(3) I wouldn't compare Apple to VW or Harley. Volkswagen translates from German approximately to "The People's Car". Perhaps that mantra is better suited to Dell or better yet, the e-machine. Harley is a closer comparison, although we are talking about an industry leader and icon with amazing owner loyalty (like Apple) and market share (unlike Apple).

(4) The best comparison I can make is Apple to BMW cars. These are the finest production automobiles on the planet. They command a premium for their performance, style, appointments, quality, service, and customer base.

25. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

comparing Macs...

I often compare Macs to Ferraris. Right now the trend is to buy some dinky little Honda Civic and spend thousands of dollars to make it fast, while a Ferrari is built specifically to do so (not to mention look killer!). This of course showing a PC as the Civic (can be fitted with a "fast" processor and other amneties) and a Mac as the Ferrari (it's made to perform & a bit more expensive)...