Apple Vs. Apple

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by t300, Sep 23, 2004.

1. t300 macrumors 6502a

t300

From CNET...

Apple Vs. Apple

I would like to know what you guys think about this article.

"Apple does not create separate Web-based stores, but it has created a separate category for Disney works inside the iTunes store. Some industry insiders have speculated that if the Beatles want "premium" treatment, Apple could similarly create a separate, high-profile category for the band."

Does anyone see this happening? A seperate store for the Beatles? It's possible, especially if it gets down to an iTunes deal but...hhmm..This will be interesting.

Just wanted to know what you guys think of that article...Give it a go.

2. raynegus macrumors regular

I don't really care one way or the other. I grew up as a huge Beatles fan but I have a hard time listening to them now. I never thought that would happen over something like this. They've lost integrity in my view of them and it's all I think of when I hear a classic Beatles tune. It's a shame really.

I'm also in a profession where lawsuits particularly anger me so maybe that affects my view.

3. t300 thread starter macrumors 6502a

t300

I agree with you entirely..

May I ask what profession you are involved in?

4. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    According to his public profile he is a Physician.

Kinda odd. I never envisioned gluons suing for malpractice. :cool:

I like some Beetles stuff but others I can't stand. I like Rocky Raccoon, While My Guitar Gently Weeps.

The War Is Over/Merry Christmas (not sure of the title) is okay as long as I don't think to hard on the words and Imagine IMHO is total crap.

5. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

i like pretty much all beatles (except tomorrow never knows and a few others) but it sucks not having them on the music store. that'd be quite nice and it would involve less browsing for us to buy beatles music :D

6. MOFS macrumors 65816

MOFS

"Imagine" and "War is Over" were just John Lennon songs. Its not exactly fair grouping solo artists to a the band - even if they used to sing in it...

7. t300 thread starter macrumors 6502a

t300

I am glad to see a man from Liverpool shoving this down someone's throat...It just makes sense.

8. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

9. gluemeat macrumors newbie

Will people really download Beatles songs? Seems to me it's not the type of music that will benefit from the digital revolution.

10. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

The Beatles are history. Don't think they will stand the test of time like classical music.

11. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

I doesn't seem like oldies are going to be a big hit on al a carte services. If you are a fan of an oldies group you probably already have their music on CD. If you aren't a big enough fan to have bought the CD, you probably aren't going to buy the digital tracks either. It seems that this would be extremely true in th ecase of the Beatles and other top bands on the era.

12. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Lennon & McCartney not stand the test of time?

Obviously unprovable, but I think you may be wrong...

13. slughead macrumors 68030

slughead

I just hope Apple doesn't lose any R&D money paying these dirty has-beens (and in Yoko's case, never-beens) for their name that they probably were squatting on just WAITING for Apple to do iTMS.

14. MOFS macrumors 65816

MOFS

All i am saying is give peas a chance

Eh?

Anyway, it seems to me that the Beatles (ie Ringo and McCartney at the mo unfortuantly) do seem to have some kind of a point. While before people wouldn't have equated the Beatles with Macs, they might easily do so wh the music store, thinking it may be some kind of collabaration. To be honest, if this lawsuit meant that there was to be some kind of collabaration, the iTMS would make millions, since here in the UK at least, you couldn't get the Beatles on any compilations except for Beatles only ones! Since the iTMS seems to be replacing compilation album and singles sales, it would make perfect sense for the Apples to work together.

My 2p