Apple VS Metallica

Discussion in 'Community' started by dornoforpyros, Aug 18, 2005.

1. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

(disclaimer:as with all my threads, take this with a grain of salt, it's mean to be fun)
    Ok so we all know Apple has a rabid fanbase that will snap and attack any one who bad talks apple in any way shape or form.
    Metallica seems to have the same rabid fanbase, bad mouth the tallica, you'll get an ear-full.
    So I present to you the following example

hater:"Metallica Sucks! Kirk doesn't even play solos anymore and Heatfield is the most over rated singer in the history of music!"
    fan:"Your dumb! Metallica RULES! They invented modern heavy metal, if it wasn't for Metallica there wouldn't be bands like Nine Inch Nails or Nickelback"
    hater:"So? Metallica will never be as good as slayer"

Now the apple spin:

hater:"Apple Sucks! Mac's don't even play any good games and iPods are the most over rated gadget in the history of music!"
    fan:"Your wrong! Apple RULES! They invented the GUI, if it wasn't for Apple there wouldn't be Windows"
    hater:"So? Apple will never be as popular as Windows!"

come guys, you KNOW it's true... :D

2. revisionA macrumors 6502

Actually Megadeth was better than Metallica before they both wussed out.

There is a paradigm shift happening in computing just like the one in metal.

Odd how new metal rocks harder than the pioneers... kind of like Linux. ahem.

But nothing is kewl and shiny forever. Like Linux.

Music is now part of a marketing plan for entering other markets. (web sites, promotions, commercial jingles, remixes and shout outs, videos, and very soon podcasts...)

Computers are not the focus, but part of a plan for entering other markets (see the battle of the mp3... napster, grokster...)

Both are being beat to death by the concept of entertainment.

I mean, you cant have it all... power or convenience, we know where the money is going. It sucks.

3. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

Strapping Young Lad

Go and listen to Strapping Young Lad and stop trying to make a thread from nonsense. Why would any half decent metal band have to represent Microsoft.
    Saying that, I think Metallica , Megadeth and Slayer could do with making some music that takes them forward rather than living off past battles and credibility.

"Technology will be the second coming and it will hit us as we're looking for a man."

4. dornoforpyros thread starter macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

lol, I thinks you guys are missing the point.

5. Toreador93 macrumors regular

I don't like Dave Mustaine's voice. And while he's good at guitar, I don't care for his song-writing abilities; but maybe I'm just a biased Metalli-fan. :)

I also dislike most new metal. I don't think it's harder, it's just more screaming and more muddy. And no one does solos or instrumentals any more :mad:

I think Manowar said it best with:
    “Let each note I now play be a black arrow of death sent straight to the hearts of all those who play false Metal” *commence 3 minutes of insane shredding*

6. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

everyone has opinions, and here i thought this would be a thread about Metallica being pissed at Apple for something, who aren't they pissed at? oh well i guess, but i think its interesting to compare how people treat what they love similarly, which is what i am assuming you are getting to - that when a person is passionate about something they will defend it, and ultimately someone will try and tear them down

7. fistful macrumors 6502a

fistful

I was thinking Metallica was in trouble with the Apple music label, like they ripped off a Beatles song or something. :p

8. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

9. highres macrumors 6502a

highres

New metal sucks IMO, all sounds like a bunch of monotone screaming...a few bands like System of a Down have some musical and songwriting ability but most of them suck. Old metal and hardcore rules... Give me some old Led Zeppelin, Tool, Metallica, SOD, Bad Brains or Rollins Band and I'm set...Keep all that new poser ****...

10. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

This man speaks the truth
    At least Mustaine and crew didn't go MTV on us all

Do you mean Nu-Metal (being Korn and Slipknot and rubbish like that)? Because that isn't even Metal. Proper true Metal still exists, and it doesn't take much to find it

SoaD aren't Metal. They're in Nu-Metal (ie, Modern Rock pretending to be cool). And Led Zeppelin isn't Metal, either (they're Classic Hard Rock)

11. highres macrumors 6502a

highres

"Nu Metal" Is that some little term you just created? It has no meaning for me, as for "Modern Rock pretending to be cool" that is purely your opinion...And the term "Heavy Metal" was coined by reviewers and music critics for Led Zeppelin in the late 60's and early 70's so in essence they created the name "Heavy Metal" you might be a little too young to remember that...

12. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

That would be Beatallica. Yes, they exist. www.beatllica.com

13. dornoforpyros thread starter macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

congrats! your the only one here who understood the point I was trying to make

14. pierceDESIGN macrumors newbie

For us, it was Redskins vs Cowboys . . . and any US hockey team vs any Canadian hockey team.

I haven't listened to Metallica (or Manowar) in about 10 years . . . are they taping from an old folk's home nowadays? I still have all their albums . . .

I lived in GE back then and also got into Europe's (at least back then, it was) version of "Death Metal" . . . anyone ever hear of Oomph? I still listen to that every once in a while . . . you can find Oomph on iTunes, but not the best song they ever did . . . "Breathtaker."

15. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

oooh what do i win?

16. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

Does this explain why there is no Metallica in iTunes Music Store? :p
    (actually always wondered that one).

Battery, Master Of Puppets, Blackened, all damn good songs.

17. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

no Metallica because they don't want their music sold that way.... i think they are more afraid of technology than the RIAA, or at least Lars is

18. pierceDESIGN macrumors newbie

BTW, the crack about Metallica being old was more of a stab at old I am, than anything else.

Too, I guess I'm still pi**ed that they sold out and went mainstream . . . for goodness sakes, their songs are used for frigging commericals!! Selling out for AOL?? Couldn't they have chosen something cooler to hawk if they were going to sell out??!! Like Macs? :D

19. pierceDESIGN macrumors newbie

I always liked Unforgiven . . . One was really good, too.

20. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

Damn, guess they are old. Sounds more like my granny then a metal band. Oh well, still love 'em. 80's speed metal at it's best.

21. kalisphoenix macrumors 65816

kalisphoenix

William S. Burroughs coined the phrase :cool: Then Steppenwolf used it in "Born to be Wild."

22. highres macrumors 6502a

highres

The root or beginning of the term "heavy metal" is very ambiguous or hazy at best, when used by Steppenwolf in the song "Born to be Wild" I think they are referring to the "heavy metal thunder" of a motorcycle "heading out on the highway"...:D

see lyrics below:

Get your motor runnin'
    Head out on the highway
    Lookin' for adventure
    And whatever comes our way
    Yeah Darlin' go make it happen
    Take the world in a love embrace
    Fire all of your guns at once
    And explode into space

I like smoke and lightning
    Heavy metal thunder
    Racin' with the wind
    And the feelin' that I'm under
    Yeah Darlin' go make it happen
    Take the world in a love embrace
    Fire all of your guns at once
    And explode into space

It is my contention that Led Zeppelin 1 was definitely a heavy metal album...

Other categories of heavy metal music for perusal...

Traditional Metal - Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath and Judas Priest

New Wave Of British Heavy Metal - Iron Maiden and Judas Priest

Thrash/Speed Metal - Slayer, Metallica, Anthrax, Sepultura, Overkill, Megadeth, and Kreator

Hair Metal - Motley Crew, Kiss, Poison, and Whitesnake

Black Metal - Burzum, Emperor, Mayhem, Enslaved and Dark Funeral

Death Metal - Death, The Possesed, Obituary, Morbid Angel, Bolt Thrower and Dying Fetus

Not Metal (most of these shouldnt be even counted as heavy metal but as top 40 pop metal) - Korn, Deftones, Limp Bizkit, Slipknot, and Linkin Park

Doom Metal - Cathedral, Katatonia, Theatre of Tragedy and My Dying Bride

Sludgecore - Crowbar, Eyehategod, Soilent Green and Iron Monkey

Power Metal - Manowar, Blind Guardian, Primal Fear and Memory Guardian

Modern Metal (or groove metal) - Pantera, Pissing Razors, Machine Head and Skinlab

Metalcore - Lamb of God, Caliban, Killswitch Engage, and Annubus Risin

23. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

quack quack oops

Yawn, Just goes to show what a bunch of over paid numpties the music press are. Why would anyone need to know the difference between "Sludgecore" wtf? and "Metalcore"?

The only useful distinction I can see in YOUR list is Metal and Not Metal

"Trad Metal" actually made me laugh out loud.

ooh and one more thing.... shouldn't Pantera be in the Hair Metal category? :rolleyes: :D

24. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Hey now, no one likes it when Capt. Condescending comes out to play. And considering your breakdown of the genre I'm surprised yer not familiar w/the term. It's typically dropped D tuning, more chugging/beat oriented, no guitar solos, rapped lyrics and possibly turntables. Think Limp Bizkit, Linkin Park, or Pappa Roach. Thank god the trend ended rather quickly (mid/late 90's to around 2002/3).

Maybe 'cause there is a difference? There's a lot of different kinds of Metal ya know (or maybe you don't). Blind Guardian and Slayer are both Metal, but they sound nothing a like. Granted there can be a lot of cross talk, and many bands blur lines because the differences between genres can be small, but having the subdivisions is useful. I typically like Metal that falls into the Power, Gothic, NWBHM, or Doom sub-genres. But I'm not a fan of Death or Black.

And, for the record, occasionally I'm in the mood for Metalcore, but I've never really liked Sludgecore. ;)

Although I think the bands exampled as "Traditional Metal" could be more aptly labeled as "prototypical metal."

Lethal

25. kalisphoenix macrumors 65816

kalisphoenix

Well, of course it's a metaphor :) I didn't think heavy metal got its name from the lead guitars they play on ;) Bill Burroughs used the phrase "metal music" way back in the day, though. I think it might have been the late fifties...

I read that the phrase was coined for Jimi Hendrix, actually, but I read that in a Jimi Hendrix album's liner notes so I don't know how reliable that is.