Apple vs. Napster- Round 1 to Apple

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by rdowns, Feb 9, 2005.

1. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

And to think, these were Pepsi ads, not Appple ones.

http://www.forbes.com/technology/fe...5550805012685270.html?partner=yahoo&referrer=

Apple Computer saw a 172% increase in traffic to its Web site Sunday compared to the last four Sundays thanks to Pepsi's iTunes commercials that aired during Super Bowl XXXIX, Internet audience measurement service comScore Networks reported Tuesday.

Online music rival Napster, LLC posted a greater than 30% increase in Web traffic on Sunday after its 30 second commercial pushing its Napster To Go premium service. The campaign targeted would-be iPod users in an effort to get them thinking which is better -- $15 a month to listen to all the music you want, or 99 cents for each song from the iTunes Music Store.

Although iTunes turned in stronger growth than Napster for the full day, both sites increased visitor levels by almost 300 percent above the 30-minute average following their respective commercials.? This year, traffic at iTunes peaked just after the advertisement featuring the Pepsi-iTunes promotion, unlike last year when more visitors waited until halftime to explore the iTunes site.

Although iTunes turned in stronger growth than Napster for the full day, both sites increased visitor levels by almost 300% above the 30-minute average following their respective commercials. This year, traffic at iTunes peaked just after the advertisement featuring the Pepsi-iTunes promotion, unlike last year when more visitors waited until halftime to explore the iTunes site.

2. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

Nice to see, though I think this just shows that something free attracts more people than something cheaper.

A little OT, but I hope this year’s Pepsi contest will be more successful than last year’s. I find it probable that Pepsi had to do it again this year, because a lot went wrong the last time.

3. narco macrumors 65816

narco

I think it's already off to a good start. The iPod is a lot more popular now than it was last year, plus it appears that most if not all of the Pepsi caps have already shipped.

Fishes,
    narco.

4. runninmac macrumors 65816

runninmac

Im not to surprised Napsters ad's look cheap. When the napster ad went on air at the super bowl my friend (a non-mac user) said that the napster ad looked horable and cheap

5. Butler Trumpet macrumors 6502

Butler Trumpet

Yeah! Go Apple!!!

And yeah, Napster's add looked like a highschool kid did it.

6. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

Hey, c'mon here... I could do better! I would have the guys with napster on their stomachs to turn around and it would say Do The Math :p :p ;)

7. Solafaa macrumors 6502a

Solafaa

W00t Apple. On another note even thou i sometimes buy from ITMS (iTunes music store) i always burn it to a cd then rip it. I find that having a copy of the music without ANY condition is better for me.

8. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Let the good times role, and the new iPods are just around the corner:)

9. Makosuke macrumors 603

I, personally, found this hilarious; Apple gets 5 times the boost from a pair of soft drink ads that they didn't even pay for (and I expect Apple's site had a lot more traffic than Napster's to begin with, so the absolute increase might be many times that).

And as if that isn't funny enough, Napster's ad was ranked dead last among every Superbowl ad--way to waste 10% of the budget for your big advertising push, guys.

What they don't get is that it's the player that sells the music store, not the other way around--they don't have the iPod, and so they're not going to be making any "convert" sales.

10. AnewMac macrumors regular

Where are they??

I see the ads in N. Okla. stores but I cant find the bottles. Maybe I am looking in the wrong place.

11. runninmac macrumors 65816

runninmac

The are a ton (im gussing litteraly) around my house. It may take a little while because for about 3 weeks all they had was mountain dew.

12. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

Unless you download music non-stoped, it's pointless to go with napster. Most people i know only download a song once in a while.

13. Apple Hobo macrumors 6502a

Apple Hobo

Napsturd also ran a full page ad in this week's Time mag. It is the same stupid graphic used in their commercial. Hopefully Napster will go out of business soon.

14. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

Still haven't seen any iTunes Pepsi bottles here on the cape....

But then again, I don't drink Pepsi. :rolleyes:

Nice to see more and more people checking out iTunes. Makes me wonder why Apple doesn't do more commercials advertising the iPod, iTunes, and most importantly... the Mac. :eek: