Apple vs pc games compatibility - Multiplayer

Discussion in 'Games' started by Raider, May 6, 2005.

1. Raider macrumors newbie

I don`t have any relevant experience with apple, thinking of purchasing 1...that`s why I`d like to ask someone whether it`s possible to play online game against the guy who`s having pc ? Are there any special arrangements needed ? Or all I need to do is just buy Call of Duty from aspyr and then play online even against Pc gamers....majority of folks I know have pc so I`d like to be in contact with my community and don`t exclude myself...thanks. :)

2. cubist macrumors 68020

Dunno about Call of Duty. Blizzard's games (Warcraft, Starcraft etc.) work PC-to-Mac, but Microsoft's (Age of Empires, Rise of Nations) don't. I've been told Unreal Tournament works PC-to-Mac.

3. TDM21 macrumors 6502a

TDM21

Most games from Aspyr can be played against the PC counterpart; especially FPS. Battlefield 1942 requires you to use GameRanger, but that still allows you to connect to servers that have PC users playing. I've noticed that the games that do not support Mac-to-PC connections are ones that don't use a server directly: like Rise of Nations and Command and Conquer: Generals.

If you play Call of Duty, UT 2004, the new Close Combat: First to Fight, or even Halo then you won't have a problem playing against your PC buddies. The only problem you might experience is if you use any voice communication program: like Teamspeak or Ventrilo. Currently these programs do not exist on the Mac. There is a program called Skype which works across all platforms, but only allow a conference of 5 max (you plus 4 other people). the new iChat in Tiger now supports up to 10 people in voice communication, but I do not think there is a way to use it with PC users. TeamSpeak and Ventrilo both say they have Mac versions coming, but there is no release date, and we have already been waiting a year.

Hope this helps.

4. Raider thread starter macrumors newbie

5. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

Here are some games that work pc-to-mac
    Call Of duty
    Quake 3 + expansion
    Return to castle Wolfenstein
    Myth 2
    Starcraft,warcraft and generally every game of blizzard
    All Unreal games
    Star wars Jedi Academy
    Doom 3
    Halo

I can't remember anything else right now. Hope this helps.

6. t0ast macrumors member

7. Raider thread starter macrumors newbie

LucasArts games

BTW any experience with SW games in general ? What about SW Battlefront in particular ? Would appreciate your comments on this. THX

8. TDM21 macrumors 6502a

TDM21

I actually checked Aspyr's website about that game and came up with the following information:
    "Multiplayer Requirements:

Internet and LAN (TCP/IP) play supported
    Internet play requires Broadband connection
    Mac to Mac Internet play via GameRanger
    Mac to PC play on LAN or Direct IP only"

Basically it is saying that there is no way to search for BF servers. If you know the ip address of the server then you don't have a problem.

9. uaaerospace macrumors 6502

I'd also like to add the Medal of Honor series to the list of PC-Mac games. Great series for multiplayer action.

10. mattmack macrumors 6502a

mattmack

I wonder if that is due to the increase of the dollar amount of the liscensing of gamespy :confused:

11. WhiteSavage macrumors regular

WhiteSavage

I remember reading somewhere that thats exactly what the problem is. GameSpy went a little wacki, so now there are a few games that we can't use Gamespy's server "crap" on. Not that it costs any money to just sell the license to Mac developers. So untill thats resolved or another company comes up to taje GameSpy's place, we're going to have to play direct or with fellow Mac users.

P.S. Mac Gaming seems to be picking up so even Mac - Mac doesn't seem all too bad. Rise of Nations is the only game that I've been having doubts about multiplayer with. Usually only 2 servers on GameRanger, and 10 on good days. People go buy Rise of Nations so I can beat you!