Apple wants to partner with only one mobile operate in Europe

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 4np, Jan 19, 2007.

1. 4np macrumors 6502a

Feb 23, 2005
    The Netherlands
  2. aristobrat macrumors G4

Oct 14, 2005
    Doesn't T-Mobile have companies all over Europe? Are there other carriers like that?
  3. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

Jan 15, 2006
    The Kop
    That is way too expensive will never be the price.

I was expecting £300 -£400 at most not £600 - £660. You can buy a Macbook for those prices.

Makes sense to go for one carrier in Europe for those reasons. I like many others think a tie in will not work so well over here. If i cant get a good contract from that company then i probably won't bother. Just get an upgraded w950 (for free) and be happy with my nano.
  4. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Nov 3, 2005
    Apple are silly to go for one operator over the whole of Europe as I guess different ones are better in each country. I'd prefer Orange, though I'd switch to another operator if Orange don't get the iPhone. Though I will try and not get it for as long as possible as their is more cool stuff they can do to improve it.
  5. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Mar 24, 2005
    A religiously oppressed state
    I want to know why Apple is only going with one carrier in both the US and Europe, why should Apple care about the carriers getting all the business of people who want the iPhone? They should be worried about selling as many iPhones as they can, which means opening it to all carriers like just about every other cell phone manufacture.
  6. aristobrat macrumors G4

Oct 14, 2005
    My guess is that it's easier to start with one. They probably had to negotiate to get that carrier to update their backend voicemail to work with the iPhones visual voice mail. They probably also had to negotiate with the carrier so that the carrier keeps their hands off of the phone. (i.e. no branding or say-so in features).

Once the iPhone "takes off", then it'd be a lot easier to get the other carriers to make those concessions.
  7. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

Oct 26, 2003
    Cardiff, Wales
    Technologically, Orange wouldn't be the best to choose. Their innovation has deteriated since the company was sold to France Telecom.

I'd go with Vodaphone, as it is the world share leader and they have a very high speed network. Either that or T-Mobile.
  8. EricNau Moderator emeritus

Apr 27, 2005
    San Francisco, CA
    Yes, T-mobile is actually a subsidiary of the largest Telecommunications company in the EU, Deutsche Telekom.

T-mobile is also the largest mobile provider in Germany, and offers service in the United States, Great Britain, Austria, the Netherlands, the Czech Republic, Poland, Belarus, Hungary, Croatia, Macedonia, Montenegro, Bosnia-Herzegovena, and Slovakia.
  9. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

Jan 15, 2006
    The Kop
    T-Mobile in the UK is poor to say the least. Little coverage in areas where there is full 3g coverage with other companies, network losses. Several of my friends were on T-Mobile UK, none of them are now. All either 02 or orange, except the one guy who is on 3.
  10. ftaok macrumors 601

Jan 23, 2002
    East Coast
    Personally, my opinion of why Apple is going with only one service provider in the US, and seemingly one in Europe is to control pricing. Apple is in the very unique position for cell phone manufacturers in that they are competing against themselves in the mp3 player market.

Here's what I mean. If they sell iPhones through a bunch of service providers, they will have less leverage in keeping the price of iPhones up. WHAT!?!?!??! Right, I think that Apple doesn't want the iPhone to drop in price like all other cell phones. If the iPhone were to drop down to $250, six months after its debut, then they would canibalize sales of regular iPods.

By locking into one provider, they can keep the phone's price up high until the next version of the iPhone is ready. No competition for iPhones, other than the stuff from Moto, Samsung, Nokia, etc. If you want an iPhone, you're going to have to get Cingular and pay full price.

Of course, this is a risky plan. Apple must be feeling extremely confident that the other guys can't make a product that can compete against the iPhone.

I don't think the iPhone will be the huge success that the iPod is. But I've been wrong every time I doubt Apple's products or pricing. Well, I was right about the iPod HiFi.

11. agfrg macrumors newbie

Dec 27, 2006
    So Portugal is getting out of this since we don't have Orange, O2 or T-Mobile, we have 3 national operators: TMN, Optimus and Vodafone.

Vodafone! Is that! iPhone will be solb by Vodafone since they are in almos every contry of Europe.
  12. ruutiveijari macrumors regular

Dec 11, 2005
    Finland only has local companies, Elisa, TeliasSonera (Finnish/Swedish), DNA and Saunalahti. And there are no one operator deals here. And most likely never will be.

Also only 3G phones can be sold under a contract here.

You can check which companies operate where here.
  13. Counterfit macrumors G3

Aug 20, 2003
    sitting on your shoulder
    Apple most likely didn't want to look at CDMA, so that knocks of half of the national carriers in the US, then it's Cingular vs T-Mobile. One has a huge network, with EDGE already rolled out in most areas, and the beginnings of UMTS, the other has well-regarded customer service, but a much smaller network. And there were no guarantees that T-Mobile would have allowed them to keep so much control over it (although it's not exactly unlikely).
  14. emotion macrumors 68040

Mar 29, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    It's a shame I hear reports of T-Mobile not having the coverage as they are the only operator (in the UK at least) with anything that resembles a sane data plan. Web and walk is a flat rate data plan (£7.50 or £12.50). The others charge by the MB.
  15. weg macrumors 6502a

Mar 29, 2004
    There are several countries in Europe where O2 isn't available...
  16. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

Sep 18, 2003
    London, UK
    I hate to be the one to tell Apple this but there isn't a single mobile phone company that has coverage throughout the whole of Europe. The most likely candidate is Vodafone, which is the world's largest mobile phone company, is expensive but service is usually good.

Orange is big in the UK and France, with a good fan base, but some of the service is questionable. O2 is big in the UK and Germany and provides the best service in my opinion.

Other than that Virgin and T-mobile are CRAP in the UK, then there's Hutchinson 3... but I can't see Apple going with them to be honest.
  17. miniConvert macrumors 68040

Mar 4, 2006
    Kent, UK - the 'Garden of England'.
    Vodafone would most likely be the best partner for Apple in Europe. Aside from their large presence, they're likely to go above and beyond to cater for Apple's iPhone-specific requirements.

Orange, however, have EDGE presence in Europe and, in extreme moderation, the UK. Worth noting.
  18. iShak macrumors 6502

Dec 26, 2006
    Sticking to a single operator throughout europe is a genius plan if you think about it, no competition and total monetary dictatorship up for grabs ..

i bet Vodafone, T-mobile and Orange will leave no stone unturned to get the exclusive contract from Apple.

Vodafone to get it in the end and sell 4GB for 499+GBP all inc. (data plan and voice time bundled) 2 year contract.
  19. jwkay macrumors member

Sep 6, 2004
    Bergen, Norway
    Norway too

Same in Norway, just local operators Telenor and NetCom (and a myriad of others who lease capacity from the network companies). 1 year is max contract length here and single-operator deals don't exist here, either.

Edit: Looks like the same in Sweden: HI3G, TeliaSonera, Comviq and Telenor Sweden (which used to be Vodafone but was bought out by Norwegian Telenor).
  20. Porco macrumors 68020

Mar 28, 2005
    I basically need it to be Orange...

I can't believe the 'easier to implement services' argument to be honest, I'm sure any of the networks would and could implement things like visual voicemail fairly easily.

I personally think it's about using one network to help Apple get a foothold in the market - if Apple can offer an exclusive deal to one network it means they will get the full weight of that network's advertising, contacts, basically 'industry clout' - if they went with all networks they would face a harder time getting into the market, as there'd be less incentive for the networks to push the iPhone when it would be available on other networks.

So, assuming I'm right, I can understand the tactics, I just hope they end up suiting me rather than having to wait another couple of years!
  21. cb31 macrumors member

Mar 13, 2005
    I refuse to go with Vodafone as they insist on removing features and installing the same crappy user interface on every phone they sell. Ridiculous so I go with O2 who seem to have the least deviations from the manufacturers software.

I don't see how the Vodafone and Apple philosophies will go together unless someone caves in.
  22. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Jul 4, 2004
    Somehow I think if it's going to be just one network, it'll be Orange. Vodafone are very strapped for cash at the mo, having overextended themselves in recent years.

I'd like it to be Orange, for obvious reasons. ;)
  23. ruutiveijari macrumors regular

Dec 11, 2005
    It really isn't possible to be just one operator. Orange for example doesn't operate in countries like Finland, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Iceland, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Estonia, Germany, Greece, Latvia, Poland, Slovenia, Spain... And the list is just as long for Vodafone.

So it's really not possible to do in Europe.