Apple warranty question

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Willy S, Jul 16, 2005.

1. Willy S macrumors 6502

May 8, 2005
    I bought an iMac G5 of ebay and it´s working fine at the moment. However, I wonder if it is covered with Apple´s warranty since I didn´t get the orginal receipt?

When I bought the iMac, the seller seemed honest and I got the computer in a good shape, but now he is selling more rev. A´s and I don´t know how he got these iMacs.

Let´s say that they are stolen...worst case senario...could Apple know that and just take the computer away from me if I would ask them how long this iMac is covered under the warranty or if I would need to have it fixed? :confused:

Ps. I just had my video projector fixed under a warranty and I didn´t have to show my receipt, since all the data was registered in Philips database.
  2. dmw007 macrumors G4

May 26, 2005
    Working for MI-6
    I would imagine that it would be covered under the original iMac G5's warranty. Your story about the video projector would help justify this position. You could always call up Apple and ask them hypothetically, "What if I were to go and purchase a used iMac from someone else that is still under warranty, would that warranty be transferred to me if I would go and purchase that iMac?" if you want to know for sure.
  3. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Dec 26, 2002
    Albuquerque, NM
    Duff-Man says.....if the computer was indeed stolen and reported to Apple as such they will not honour a warranty and will more than likely pass on the info to someone else, like police perhaps. Chances are though that this guy has a line on buying refurbs cheap and then is selling on them eBay.....oh yeah!
  4. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Dec 25, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    If the original purchaser registered the computer, that will be on file at Apple. And if you are within 12 months of purchase then you can get Applecare. If not, Apple may choose to use the date of build as the source of warranty dates.

Can't say about the issues if the computer was reported stolen.
  5. Church macrumors regular

May 9, 2005
    Yeah, and you don't need the reciept (maybe not even to be registered, I don't know) because they scan the barcode on your computer to tell when it was sold and junk for the warranty and to index when it was serviced and all that good stuff. A lot easier than forms where you have to keep putting in the serial number.
  6. Willy S thread starter macrumors 6502

May 8, 2005
    Ok so it might have full warranty then. I´m just worried if the computer has been reported stolen and it would be taken away from me.

Maybe I´m just a bit paranoid and I have no reason to believe that the computer is actually stolen. I just don´t want to loose it but I would like to know that it is in warranty and that I could buy Apple care, or sell it again and claim that it is still under warranty...if you know what I mean.
  7. macmanmatty macrumors regular

Jul 10, 2005
    I have calculated my velocity so precisely that a
    Hello I have a similer question. I bought a powermac of of ebay from someone who didn't buy it from Apple. They said they bought a local computer fair which is in califorina. Can I still get apple care on the powermac? Will hard it be to get?

8. MacTruck macrumors 65816

Jan 27, 2005
    One Endless Loop
    Ok, here is how it works. If the computer was regsistered under another name applecare or no they will NOT fix the computer even if you pay them to. The information needs to be transfered into your name. This is even if not stolen. Had it happen over a powerbook I bought on ebay. They wanted the original register to call and change to my name but he never did. Its pretty wack. Unless the computer was stolen and they never told me??? You would think they would want you to send it in so they could hand it over the the rightful owner or something. Anyway if its registered under another individual apple will not fix it for you.
  9. Willy S thread starter macrumors 6502

May 8, 2005
    I bought my first iMac G5 at Fnac in Paris and I havent registered it yet. And I don´t know if the second, that I bought on ebay is registered.

So, here comes a newbie question: How do I register the iMac?