apple warranty question

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by jelloshotsrule, Apr 11, 2002.

1. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

as you may or may not have read on another post, i've had a problem with a 15" apple flat panel i just got on ebay.

this monitor has what is apparently a (relatively) common problem of the monitor turning off/sleeping randomly, without pressing the buttons or anything. a few people i've seen have said that they had it fixed by apple, something about the interface board or something.

my real question is no longer how to fix it myself (though if you know, it would of course be ideal) but rather what you think/know apple's policy on the issue would be? the monitor is apparently over a year old (says the seller) as well as unused until it got to me. i'd rather have it fixed free than have to send it back for a refund (assuming the guy even agrees to that before i get into legalities with him)... so i was wondering if anyone had experience comparable to my situation? would apple fix this for free, based on a known problem? or would they (more likely) expect payment...?

my brother (law student) has said that they really SHOULD fix it, as there is an implied warranty of merchantability. but them being apple, and me being a student, i don't expect them to care too too much.

any insight would be welcome.
    thanks

2. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Well, I hate to say it but I think that if it's past its year of warranty coverage, that's it. You'd have to pay for it to be fixed. Apple is very strict on their warranties. If the seller offered a guarantee for it to be in normal working condition, I'd just get my money back and try getting another one. Otherwise, if he sold it as-is to you, you may be up a creek without a paddle...

...but it never hurts to ask! Call a local Apple store/reseller and tell them your problem.

3. jelloshotsrule thread starter macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

hmmm

well that's disheartening.

as far as the ebay thing, there is no reason he shouldn't take it back for a refund. even though he hadn't used it and thus didn't know, he's responsible for the item to work unless he says specifically that it doesn't.

just as if a company sells an item, they clearly don't send it knowing it's faulty, but if it is, they are responsible. unless it's say a floor model and they say" this dent here, well, that's why you get the discount"... i saw a monitor that was described specifically as not working on ebay, and that was going for maybe 50 bucks max. whereas this was much more. and if i get this repaired for a cost, it will either come close to or top the actual 600 bucks a NEW monitor would cost....

sorry, just ranting. but that's how i see it and i'm fairly certain the laws would back me up... though of course, is it worth pursuing too far? no. but i don't think the guy wants his ebay rep tarnished... ha.

anyone with more info, keep it coming. thanks

4. buffsldr macrumors 6502a

buffsldr

tough break, jello. But that's excatly why I stear clear of ebay on big ticket items.

5. jelloshotsrule thread starter macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

yeah

no big deal.

the seller's taking it back as he should.

he did list it as in "perfect working condition".

he IS bound to that.

and he's taking it back. he was apologetic when i pointed out his responsibility to it..

and i ended up getting one for 60 bucks less. so i guess it all works out in the end...

thanks for the replies.