Apple warranty question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Natalia81, Aug 30, 2004.

1. Natalia81 macrumors regular

I'm pretty sure that the Apple warranty for products will carry over, if one were to buy a product 2nd hand. But how does Apple determine when the original purchase was made? If I were to buy something from someone off eBay, do I need to have the seller's original sales receipt? I doubt that would happen....

2. numark macrumors member

Apple keeps a record of the computer's serial number so they know when the computer was originally bought. In fact, it's always a good idea on eBay to get the serial number and call up Applecare just to make sure the computer is still under warranty. Certainly having the original receipt would be very helpful, but I wouldn't consider it necessary, just highly desirable.

3. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Second hand purchases are covered just be sure that the former owner signs over the AppleCare to you so you can extend your coverage.

4. Natalia81 thread starter macrumors regular

What if Apple care was not originally purchased for the product?

5. Elan0204 macrumors 65816

Elan0204

If the computer you buy is still within the initial one year warranty you get for free with any mac, then you can still buy the extended Applecare yourself. The extra 2 years (so 3 years total) can be bought at anytime during the first year you (the original purchaser, in this case) have the computer.

6. jsulens macrumors member

i was wondering if the apple care for the first year is going to be the same care that you get for the next two years. if there is a problem with my computer's parts in the first year will it still be replaaced by apple? or will i have to buy the apple care?

7. numark macrumors member

The one-year warranty that comes with every new Mac is exactly the same as the additional two years that you get when you buy Applecare. Any problem that goes wrong that's Apple's fault will be repaired during the first year, no problem. The only thing that Applecare gets you is an extension of the phone support to 3 years, as well as an additional two years of the same warranty.