Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

surferdamian200

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2005
Recently ive been complaining how my ipod wont connect to my pc..

i read somewhere that someone bought an ipod warranty to replace ther ipod.. if this is true could anyone tell me where i could find and buy this..

is this even possible? my 1 year warranty expired a few months ago (anoying aye?) is it possible to buy an extended warranty and claim it?

i realy want to know if this is true and possible.. it would save me alot of money instead of buying a new ipod.. servs them right for selling me dodgy stuff :p

asherman13

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2005
SF Bay Area, CA
surferdamian200 said:
Recently ive been complaining how my ipod wont connect to my pc..

i read somewhere that someone bought an ipod warranty to replace ther ipod.. if this is true could anyone tell me where i could find and buy this..

is this even possible? my 1 year warranty expired a few months ago (anoying aye?) is it possible to buy an extended warranty and claim it?

i realy want to know if this is true and possible.. it would save me alot of money instead of buying a new ipod.. servs them right for selling me dodgy stuff :p

the extended warranty goes from the date of purchase of the ipod, not of date of purchase of the warranty...

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
asherman13 said:
the extended warranty goes from the date of purchase of the ipod, not of date of purchase of the warranty...
That is true... but the way the people in an Apple store will check to see if you still qualify to purchase AppleCare is by your iPod's serial number....

Go on Apple.com and enter in your serial; you might just have lucked out and be able to still get AppleCare.
:edit: click here, scroll down, and enter your serial # where it says, About your Apple Product. Hope you can still make the cut off!

surferdamian200

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2005
thanks for that.. well it seems that i bought my ipod during May 04.. so no luck one warranty.. half a year out :(

oh well ill still keep on trying out how to fix this thing.. my problem is:

ipod wont connect to computer, im using firewire. Firewire ports are ok..
whenever i connect i only get power, so my ipod is sitting there charging.
In "my computer" ipod does not show up.. nor is it detected in "plug and play hardware".. this means the ipod updater and itunes have no affect on my ipod because it doesnt see it in the first place..

my guess is that the cable could be broken or ive fried my ipod, im pretty sure i hvnt fried it because all my music is still there and it charges fine...

i will be going to the apple store in a couple of days..

thanks for the help

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
devilot said:
but the way the people in an Apple store will check to see if you still qualify to purchase AppleCare is by your iPod's serial number....

Well the did not check for me but i do belive we talked about it but i thought you could not get the extra plan after your fisrt year was up

Konradx

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2005
Toronto, Canada
with the warrenty can i buy it like 1 month before my 1 year is up and still get another year? Also is it worth forking out 90 bux for an additional 1 year warrenty?

crazzyeddie

macrumors 68030
Dec 7, 2002
Florida, USA
Konradx said:
with the warrenty can i buy it like 1 month before my 1 year is up and still get another year? Also is it worth forking out 90 bux for an additional 1 year warrenty?

1) Yes
2) Thats up to you

Back to the original question: Have you tried using USB? If it mounts over USB then its probably a Firewire problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.