Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is planning a second-generation Apple Watch with new features including a front-facing FaceTime video camera, expanded Wi-Fi capabilities and possibly additional models based on new materials, according to 9to5Mac. The report claims the so-called "Apple Watch 2" is likely to be introduced in 2016 following the release of WatchOS 2 and native Apple Watch apps in the fall.

Apple-WatchOS-2.jpg

The new FaceTime camera will reportedly be built into the Apple Watch's top bezel and enable users to make and receive FaceTime calls on their wrists. Apple previously announced at WWDC that WatchOS 2 will have a new FaceTime Audio feature for Wi-Fi-based calling, and the new software also enables Apple Watch users to answer or reject FaceTime video calls through a paired iPhone.

A new Wi-Fi chip inside the Apple Watch 2 will expand the wrist-worn device's iPhone-free Wi-Fi capabilities for basic tasks, possibly including text messaging, emailing and up-to-date weather data. The new wireless chipset will also enable Find my Watch for tracking a lost, stolen or misplaced Apple Watch using Wi-Fi router triangulation technology as opposed to GPS.

Despite gaining several new features, the Apple Watch 2 will likely have similar battery life as the original model. The report claims that Apple has conducted market research and determined that, despite early concerns, most customers are satisfied with their Apple Watch's battery life, allowing Apple engineers to focus their efforts on other areas besides battery improvements.

Apple is also said to be exploring different Apple Watch variations beyond the Sport, Watch and Edition models currently available, in an effort to attract customers at price points between $1,000 and $10,000. The report claims it is possible, but not certain, that Apple may release new Apple Watch models based on metals such as titanium, tungsten, palladium or platinum.

Article Link: Apple Watch 2 Said to Feature FaceTime Camera, Expanded Wi-Fi Capabilities and New Models

Dilster3k

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2014
This is what I've been truly waiting for! Just look at the first iPhone or first iPad, they are terrible by todays standards especially in terms of form factor and performance.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
I love my Apple Watch, not only because of what it does, but what it doesn't do. It doesn't have facilities to surf the internet, to watch films, to FaceTime people, because it's just not a great experience.

I can see why a camera may be useful for apps like Snapchat, but seriously, who wants to take a FaceTime call on their watch? Hold your arm up to face-level for 30 seconds and see how it feels, and now imagine talking to someone for minutes like that. Madness.

Hope it offers improvements in other areas as well, as if the main selling point is a camera I for one won't be upgrading.

Teber

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2013
Venezuela
I think this is a mistake. What about those people who spent $10K on the first generation Apple Watch? They get obsolete just like that? Apple Watch 2 should come out in 2018. People are still finding about its existence. At the end, it's just a watch, not a smartphone which we need to be buying every now and then.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
How could Apple even consider releasing another iteration of their watch? I mean, they already released one! Look at their previous releases: one Apple computer which is as good as ever, one iPod with a whopping 5GB of storage, and one lovely phone sans video recording! :mad:

Seriously, to those who think Apple should handle watches differently, when has Apple ever benefitted from acknowledging the separation between fashion accessory and electronic device?

Last edited:

thmsup

macrumors member
May 10, 2013
I'm rooting for an aluminum-covered Apple Watch Edtion. I hate the looks I get for the gold watch on my wrist ;O

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.