Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Cowen and Company analyst Timothy Arcuri claims the second-generation Apple Watch will arrive in mid- to late-2016, reports AppleInsider. The report also claims that the second Apple Watch would be thinner than its predecessor.

applewatch1.png

Arcuri's research memo, based on a recent trip of Asian suppliers, also says Apple will ship 18 million Apple Watches by the end of 2015, with at least 45 million shipped in 2016. Although he also notes the figures for 2016 may be pessimistic based on the current data.

Thus far, very few rumors have emerged about Apple's next Apple Watch. In June, it was reported that the second Apple Watch would feature a FaceTime camera, expanded Wi-Fi and new materials. The new Wi-Fi chip would allow the Watch to do more without an iPhone.

Article Link: Apple Watch 2 May Arrive in Mid- to Late-2016

Reactions: Da Hurdler

JohnApples

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2014
For whatever reason, I just don't know if I can see a second gen apple watch next year. The Watch is by no means a "flop", but I don't think it has enough traction yet to support a second version. It goes without saying that I could be completely wrong, but everything about the Watch release was pretty strange.

I think it'd be much more likely to have a second gen Watch announced next year, and then released Spring 2017.

nouveau-apple

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2014
Should I return the one I have now?

Either it was going to have Wi-Fi or it wasn't. They should've put it on there the first time. How do they expect people to keep buying if they leave out obvious stuff? It's like they're releasing prototypes and selling them as the real thing

Reactions: Fzang

caskin8a

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2009
Toronto
Seriously Apple, please no FaceTime camera. Or thinner. Here's an actual example of a product that you keep the same size, and increase the battery size.

Here's what you do:

Make the home screen icons bigger, give it an e-sim, give it an all day ambient mode, more shots of the jellyfish (try 40 instead of 4) and please, I beg you, for the love of God fix that damn delay that happens every single time I push "Reply". That's it, I'll buy one.

You can even save GPS/two day battery/screen lamination for version three and milk me a third time.

itbeme

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2011

Either it was going to have Wi-Fi or it wasn't. They should've put it on there the first time. How do they expect people to keep buying if they leave out obvious stuff? It's like they're releasing prototypes and selling them as the real thing

WIFI will drain that battery like hell. Apple Watch like all other products from la pomme ...Gen 1 is like a pre-release of the real thing, where the must-haves and latest and greatest geeks finance the real thing which always shows up in 2.0 or in some cases V3. Not for me ....yet;

Reactions: John Mcgregor

Lazy

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2003
Silicon Valley
For whatever reason, I just don't know if I can see a second gen apple watch next year. The Watch is by no means a "flop", but I don't think it has enough traction yet to support a second version. It goes without saying that I could be completely wrong, but everything about the Watch release was pretty strange.

I think it'd be much more likely to have a second gen Watch announced next year, and then released Spring 2017.

Or on the other hand wouldn't an improved model help it gain "traction"?

rtr1985

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2012
But when can you pre-order a spot to reserve an in-store pickup after it gets officially released and available for order?

Reactions: Happy-Mac

Jesus on OSX

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2003
I was going to sell mine recently anticipating a refresh by Christmas, but glad I didn't. Also, really happy I bought the aluminum model and not the Watch Edition. Just good decisions all around.

Reactions: Vesuvio Cat

JohnApples

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2014
Or on the other hand wouldn't an improved model help it gain "traction"?

That's true, it could go either way. It's so hard to say partly because it's a first gen product, and partly because it's a unique product for Apple: their first wearable.

If they DO come out with a new one next year, I hope they upgrade the heck out of it. In my opinion, the current Apple Watch was just a tad too pricey for what it does (or can't do).

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
I'm calling it now: Another 'Spring Forward' event in March announcing the update, pre-orders in April, widespread availability in summer.

I hope you're right. It's going to be a long wait for Gen 2 (which I intend to buy, and know at least one other person who's holding out for) otherwise.

Then again, with no October event this year, I assumed Apple was clearing the decks to allow a Spring event every year, like we used to have with iPads.

iZac

macrumors 68030
Apr 28, 2003
UK
Whilst I would love Apple to stagger their releases throughout the year, I think this will certainly need to shift to the 'holiday' buying season more so that any other product in Apple's lineup. It's much more suited as a 'gifted' product since it's not tied down to buying a contract like a phone, and won't replace many people's existing arm based tech (yet) and it's a watch, watches make good gifts.

If you look at Apple's previous introductions to new consumer categories (phones, tablets) they have been introduced in summer and spring - presumably to build momentum before holiday sales. I wish they would shift at least one of these product lines away from their autumn product splurge though, since they'll end up cannibalizing their own sales - who wants to buy an iPhone, Watch and iPad if they're all going to be coming out of your October salary!

Last edited:

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London

Same reason they left out a camera on the first iPad.
There's no point in releasing a polished turd. If the Watch was a flop, wifi or a faster chip or a few more hours of battery life wouldn't have saved it. But now they know it's a success they can polish it for Gen 2.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.