Apple Watch 2 Not Likely to See March Debut [Updated]

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 15, 2016.

1. MacRumors
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

A December rumor pointed towards a possible March 2016 event to unveil a next-generation Apple Watch, but information shared today by TechCrunch's Matthew Panzarino suggests a redesigned second-generation Apple Watch will not be coming so early in the year. That conflicts with some recent rumors suggesting trial production on the Apple Watch 2 is set to begin soon.

Citing several sources with knowledge of Apple's plans, Panzarino says that while new design partnerships and accessories are a possibility for March, a second-generation Apple Watch is not expected. There is, however, a potential March event in the works, but it is not clear what would be launched at that time. New Macs and the rumored 4-inch iPhone 6c are possibilities.

[​IMG]
    To further back up his claims, Panzarino says supply chain checks have not indicated that production on a second-generation Apple Watch has begun and there's been no "major action" on the software development side that would point towards the possibility of a newly redesigned Apple Watch debuting in the next few months.
    The Apple Watch, introduced in April of 2015, is a new product category for Apple so its upgrade cycle is difficult to determine. With the iPhone, Apple introduces updates on a yearly basis, but if no second-generation Apple Watch comes out in March, it is not clear when a new version will debut. As Panzarino says, an update alongside the iPhone 7 in September is a possibility, putting the Apple Watch on an 18-month upgrade cycle.

As further evidence that an Apple Watch 2 might not come until later in 2016, we have not seen any concrete rumors about features that might included in a second-generation device and there have been no schematics or part leaks that we might expect to see just a few months ahead of the launch of an updated device.

Update: Panzarino has updated his report to indicate he has heard new information suggesting an interim Apple Watch update could come at the March event but only include "a FaceTime camera and not much else." It would not be a full "Apple Watch 2.0."

Article Link: Apple Watch 2 Not Likely to See March Debut [Updated]

2. Goldfrapp, Jan 15, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2016

Goldfrapp
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68040

Goldfrapp

I'm glad that my $1,950,000 Gold Apple Watch is not obsolete yet.

3. farewelwilliams
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

iPhone 6C + new macs isn't really much of an event however. Unless the macs are a complete redesign (like a new Macbook Pro generation)

4. techguy69
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors regular

techguy69

5. jrath1, Jan 15, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2016

jrath1
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors member

As an early adopter I'm happy with the watch, and couldn't care less if another version arrives this Spring. I will continue wearing my first gen as it suites me fine.

6. Goldfrapp
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68040

Goldfrapp

Apple Watch 2 will be released the same period Apple Watch 1 was, which is end of April.

Apple never release anything early.

7. iamrandyellis
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors newbie

iamrandyellis

I really saddens me that Apple thinks someone would buy a new watch every year. They've updated the Thunderbolt display with variants without calling it Thunderbolt display 2, 3, 4, etc. Why can't they do the same for the Apple Watch.

8. hauntvictim
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors regular

hauntvictim

I enjoy my Apple Watch, I just wish it was faster when accessing the apps.

9. chr1s60
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68000

chr1s60

I think Apple should shoot for something closer to a 2 year cycle for the watches. Just seems like it would make more people willing to buy throughout the year.

10. 1080p
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68020

1080p

Whatcha talkin bout bruh? There has only been 1 release of the Thunderbolt Display, and it's never been updated... AND it's severely outdated without Thunderbolt 2 (TB 3 is coming out soon!) and no USB 3.0... And... the resolution needs a bump... badly!

11. Soccertess
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

They will probably start production after the March event. Personally, I am in the market for a smart watch. The first one definitely wasn't for me. Maybe 2nd or 3rd gen..

Here's to hoping Apple comes through!

12. benji888
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 65816

benji888

13. vanimal, Jan 15, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2016

vanimal
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

Well i guess that justify's my purchase just a bit more. I ended up getting a basically brand new AWS 42mm from BB when they were $100 off last week. They had a open box that literally looked like someone opened it and said wrong color and boxed it back up. Charger, or USB never removed from the box, or watch taken from the plastic. I ended up paying $256 for it from $399 originally.

PS: Anyone else out there that would actually want maybe say a 45mm version? I am a athletic muscular build. I am used to wearing larger Diving style watches. I think a 45mm version would be sweet. But just not sure enough that there is a LARGE market for that size.

14. The Doctor11
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 603

The Doctor11

If the next watch has swim workout support I'm out another $400 and I don't care. Thats the one feature I need and want.

15. manu chao
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 601

It really saddens me that someone would think that Apple releasing yearly updates to products means that Apple thinks people would buy a new version of any product every year.

Does it also sadden you that Apple has released a new iPhone every year, a new (9.7") iPad almost every year, a new MBP almost every year?

16. ghost187
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

ghost187

Without an Apple Watch 2 there will be NO March/April event!

What are they gonna introduce? An new 4" iPhone with outdated internals (rumors say A8), and a "catch up" iPad Air 3. Even if they have incredible MacBook Pro updates it won't save the event.

17. stanhope
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors regular

I am very pleased with my Apple watch. There are some improvements that I would like to see however. Those include the ability to pair more than one watch with a singular iPhone, better wifi connectivity, faster loading of the apps, more independence from the phone, and general software improvements. I would be disappointed if the product cycle were less than one year. I would be moved to buy another Apple watch if they released a tungsten version. Tungsten makes all the sense in the world...it is not nearly as prone to scratching, the metal color is stunning, and it is an "off the beaten path" material which would be consistent with Apple's brand imaging.

18. The Doctor11
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 603

The Doctor11

This logic would be flawed though. Assuming that the 4 inch iPhone and the new Apple Watch were both announced at the same march keynote, how big would the release date gap between them have to be to have two new .x releases?

19. benji888
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 65816

benji888

I edited my post and deleted it.

(edit, lol) but, still wondering what's up with apple releasing 9.3 and 9.4 betas...two things in the works, but what?

20. whawhat
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502

Would not complain if it is a redesigned Macbook Pro in March.

21. Mac Fly (film)
    Expand Collapse
    Suspended

Mac Fly (film)

When being sarcastic who needs remotely accurate price points.

22. lk400
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

There is a good chance that this is indeed what they would do, and then have a full refresh every few years.

23. Mac Fly (film)
    Expand Collapse
    Suspended

Mac Fly (film)

Seeing as you're on MR I'm willing to have some doubts as to your reaction.

24. JimmyHook
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502

I love how people here pre-judge a non-existent event they know nothing about. Carry on MacRumors... carry on.

25. JPLC
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502

It needs a lot of improvement before they can take my money. Lets start with the design, price and shape...