Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I keep hearing this meme of the Watch being a failure (for an Apple product). Ok I just looked back at Apple's fiscal 2008 (Oct 2007 - Sept 2008) 10K and iPhone revenues were $1.8B. The estimates for Watch so far are between $6B and $8B. Even if those estimated are on the high side I don't see how Watch can be considered a failure by Apple standards. Who in their right minds thinks a brand new product category would see sales similar to a product that's been on the market for 7 years. The fact that Wall Street clowns think Apple should be able to create billion dollar businesses at the snap of a finger blows my mind.

threesixty360

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2007
And yet, you couldn't stop Apple from boasting about their sales figures when the iPhone launched. A much riskier proposition for the company than the watch. And yet somehow with all that information out there for their competitors, the iPhone went on to become an unrivaled success. It's amazing how nothing you've stated applied to the iPhone, yet it's vital to the success of the watch?

The iPhone was a new entrant to a very established market place. I suppose saying how well it was selling was a way to gain carrier support. The issue for Apple was that they didn't want the carriers to have too much control like they normally do so I think they needed to use the sale figures to entice them.

I think businesses like the Apple TV or the watch are kind of new and require a different approach. Market leaders are not established here. So how that happens over the next few years is important and every company who wants to be in this space wants concrete information about what to do. Hiding the values of the each business is a good idea at this stage.

Remember how Facebook weren't exactly candid about revenue figures before IPO? Whilst they were growing a new business how does it help the company to talk about revenue unless you absolutely need or have to?

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
Whilst they were growing a new business how does it help the company to talk about revenue unless you absolutely need or have to?

'Jump on the bandwagon, all your friends are buying them, don't be the last to find out how great they are -- which by the way, are outselling in one year, all of the competition's product sold to date'

Apple rushed the watch into Wal-Mart just in time for Christmas -- a merchant who has no intention of accepting Pay, and is indeed launching its own competing payment system. How does it help the company giving its crown jewel to a discount retail merchant competing with its own superior payment product product, unless you absolutely need or have to?

Hiding its numbers, and pushing the watch into the bottom of the retail chain through a hostile partner while allowing them to sell it for a substantial discount, doesn't paint a very confident picture. But I suppose it's possible that allowing the competition to know Apple is beating the pants off of them is going to ultimately hurt Apple -- look at what Samsung and Google did with that early iPhone info -- the trounced Apple to dominate the phone market Apple invented.

Last edited:
Reactions: Benjamin Frost
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.