Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AndyUnderscoreR

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2008
When you can take calls, listen to music, buy things, and have text conversations via your non-smart watch, you can compare them. Right now you just sound clueless.

I'm sorry, where exactly in the forum rules does it say I'm not allowed to compare things without your permission?

kodos

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2010
Where are you getting this???
The original iPod DEFINITELY started out Mac only. This is common knowledge. There's even a well known story of it being shown to Bill Gates in prototype form, him marveling over it, & then being told: "it requires a Mac".
iTunes soon after came out for PC, but on launch... iPod was Mac only.

Yes. I had a Firewire card on my PC, which would have enabled me to use an iPod, but ... I didn't have one for a long time, and by then they were USB. I still remember how cool it was that my friends could boot up their Macs off their iPods. So cool!

flur

macrumors 68020
Nov 12, 2012
Where are you getting this???
The original iPod DEFINITELY started out Mac only. This is common knowledge. There's even a well known story of it being shown to Bill Gates in prototype form, him marveling over it, & then being told: "it requires a Mac".
iTunes soon after came out for PC, but on launch... iPod was Mac only.

Um, like I said, PERSONAL EXPERIENCE with owning the original iPod. Where are you getting the false information that it did? The original iPod synced wit Musicmatch on PC.

EDIT:
I case anyone thinks I'm remembering wrong, here's a pic and description of it. I had the 5gb one and was a bit jealous when they released the larger capacity ones. I also had the scrolling wheel, which Apple changed in the next generation.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPod_Classic#1st_generation

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
Um, no, I DID have the very first iPod, purchased at launch, and I used it with a Dell desktop for the entirety of the time I owned it, which was quite a while, because I hated iTunes so I never bought a later model (the first iPod did not require iTunes - I don't think iTunes existed when it launched - it synced with Musicmatch). I'd bet it's around here somewhere; maybe later I'll post a picture if I can find it.

It's possible my Dell had FireWire, or that I bought a card for it. Like I said, I don't recall. But like I said repeatedly, it did not require a Mac. So you can stop claiming your statement was correct any time now, since you have "effectively" already admitted you were wrong.

except you're still wrong :p

iTunes was a requirement for use of the ipod line.

iTunes was released in tandem with the iPod line in 2001 only on OSx.

Windows version of iTunes was not released until 2003, which also coincides with the release of the 3rd generation iPod

ipod_evolution_through_2010_by_kproductions-d2ygvi3-12.jpeg

Check that picture and clarify, I doubt based on what you're saying you did have the first generation iPod. You, like most of us, likely bought in when it really took off, and that was the 3rd generation.

Holy space, we got off topic

also to clarify: with the release of iTunes on windows 2000 in 2003, the 2nd generation iPod did gain windows support via firewire only

flur

macrumors 68020
Nov 12, 2012
except you're still wrong :p

iTunes was a requirement for use of the ipod line.

iTunes was released in tandem with the iPod line in 2001 only on OSx.

Windows version of iTunes was not released until 2003, which also coincides with the release of the 3rd generation iPod

ipod_evolution_through_2010_by_kproductions-d2ygvi3-12.jpeg

Check that picture and clarify, I doubt based on what you're saying you did have the first generation iPod. You, like most of us, likely bought in when it really took off, and that was the 3rd generation.

Holy space, we got off topic

also to clarify: with the release of iTunes on windows 2000 in 2003, the 2nd generation iPod did gain windows support via firewire only

Haha, no. I had the very, very first one. Before iTunes launched for Windows. Like I said, scroll wheel version.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
Haha, no. I had the very, very first one. Before iTunes launched for Windows. Like I said, scroll wheel version.
I find your claims highly dubious. but reading your post history, that shouldn't be coming as a surprise.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
Here, read this: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musicmatch_Jukebox#Apple_iPod_and_Musicmatch

And given your post history, I'm not at all surprised at the slander.

again, that wasn't the first ipod

the re branded version had a different set of internals than the first ipod and was released after.

your claims have changed, if you did in fact have the Dell Branded iPods, that were available for windows, you had a 2nd gen ipod, not the first.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_iPod_models

2nd 10, 20 GB FireWire July 17, 2002 Mac: 10.1
Win: 2000 audio: 10
Touch-sensitive wheel. FireWire port had a cover. Hold switch revised. Windows compatibility throughMusicmatch.

2nd generation[edit]

iPod (2nd gen), 2002.
The second generation of the iPod was introduced on July 17, 2002. Using the same body style as the first generation, the hold switch was redesigned, a cover was added to the FireWire port, and the mechanical wheel was replaced with a touch-sensitive wheel. The front plate also had rounded corners and edges. The second-generation class was available in 10 GB for US$399 and 20 GB for US$499. The first generation 5 GB iPod was carried over, but its price was reduced to US$299.

Notably, the second-generation iPods and the updated first-generation iPod were now Windows-compatible. These versions came with a 4-pin to 6-pin FireWire adapter and were bundled with Musicmatch Jukebox. At that timeiTunes was Mac only and unavailable for Windows.

Last edited:

flur

macrumors 68020
Nov 12, 2012
again, that wasn't the first ipod

the re branded version had a different set of internals than the first ipod and was released after.

Um, SCROLL WHEEL. Re-read the descriptions of the iPods. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPod_Classic#1st_generation

I'll copy the relevant text for you:
"Among the iPod's innovations were its small size, achieved using a 1.8" hard drive, whereas its competitors were using 2.5" hard drives at the time, and its easy-to-use navigation, which was controlled using a mechanical scroll wheel (unlike later iPods, which had touch-sensitive scroll wheels)"

"Notably, the second-generation iPods and the updated first-generation iPod were now Windows-compatible. These versions came with a 4-pin to 6-pin FireWire adapter and were bundled with Musicmatch Jukebox. At that time iTunes was Mac only and unavailable for Windows."

Last edited:

stanhope

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2015
Kind of surprising considering all the people selling the Watch as soon as it's landed on their doormat. Myself included btw.
"ALL?" you've just proven beyond question being a fool. All of nobody did anything and such a non sequitur statement passes hyperbole and lands in the nit wit kingdom.

Reactions: JSB1540 and flur

aperry

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
I have no idea what the point of this argument is, but the first iPod in 2001 was Mac-only, according to Wikipedia.

Of course Apple was a totally different company then, far from any kind of a trend-setter. So comparing iPod sales in 2001 to watch sales in 2015 is just pointless.

Yixian

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2007
Europe
God people on this site are so intensely one sided, one way or the other, about he Apple Watch. More so than I have seen about any other Apple product.

I have been cool on it since launch but recently my desire to get one has been rising a lot.

I put this down to my expectations now being more realistic, but mainly, I got a big tax return and now buying one won't make much of a dent on my bank balance.

Ie. It's mostly about the price.

At $200 suddenly this thing becomes a lot more justifiable and "satisfying" to a lot more people.

And given what it does, that is frankly the price it should be, I really don't think apple should stick at this price point long term. For an early adopter fee it's ok but mass market isn't going to pay $500 for a tiny notification screen on their wrist. At $200 though? Hell yeah.

Reactions: TheRealCBONE

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
Um, SCROLL WHEEL. Re-read the descriptions of the iPods. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPod_Classic#1st_generation

I'll copy the relevant text for you:
"Among the iPod's innovations were its small size, achieved using a 1.8" hard drive, whereas its competitors were using 2.5" hard drives at the time, and its easy-to-use navigation, which was controlled using a mechanical scroll wheel (unlike later iPods, which had touch-sensitive scroll wheels)"

"Notably, the second-generation iPods and the updated first-generation iPod were now Windows-compatible. These versions came with a 4-pin to 6-pin FireWire adapter and were bundled with Musicmatch Jukebox. At that time iTunes was Mac only and unavailable for Windows."
you said launch :p

none of the launch ipod's had windows compatibility.

updated ones were released a year later. no first Generation ipod, with first gen internals, worked iwth windows.

you had effectively a 2nd gen ipod in a 1st gen casing.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Excellent analysis and I agree that Apple is in this market very early. Having said that, I'm very excited as it will only speed up innovation and acceptance of the market. Whenever there is talk about smart watches or wristbands the Apple Watch is mentioned. People keep forgetting that this requires an iPhone to work fully so it should still be considered an accessory. When you think about it, this must be one of the most successful accessory for any Apple product.

I think the full potential of the smart watches will be met in three or four years when it will truly be a standalone product. Only then will we see it eating up a share of the iPhone market just like iPhone did with the iPod five years ago. I'm positive we will eventually get all the computational power of the iOS device on our wrists while also having dummy screens with us whenever necessary that talk to the Apple Watch through bluetooth. So the roles of the phone and watch will be reversed where the latter will be the primary device and the former an option (buy a 5 inch screen for when leaving home and a 10 inch screen to keep in the living room).

I tend to think it will be a little longer until the Apple Watch is a standalone device. LTE just uses way too much power, and whatever succeeds it will probably be nearly as bad. The other problem is consuming content on the go. A great example is Twitter. When I'm waiting in line or have a free few minutes to spare I'll fire up the app on my Watch (if it doesn't crash) and browse the tweets. But it drives me crazy that I can't tap on one to read the story—even though that would be quite painful in the first place. So I just pull out my phone. Another, personal note is that as a web designer I don't want to have to design for a screen that small. Having that breakpoint as the base css in my responsive designs would drive me insane. Furthermore holding the wrist up for extended periods can be tiring. I'm not some scrawny designer/dev scrub either. I just built a patio with over 10,000lbs of materials I had to move by hand.

Ultimately I think the best wearable solution will be something like Google Glass, but it won't look like that at all. And that means it will take time to gain cultural acceptance. I'm not much of a fan of Glass either, but Apple would have to redesign the Apple Watch to be bigger (think Leela's arm device on Futurama) to consume content. And if it's bigger it will be heavier and people don't want to hold it up awkwardly to read stuff. So I'm not sure if phones are going anywhere soon. But it's interesting to think about having something on your wrist that does most of what an iPhone can do, and then having a tablet to do the rest and maybe most of what we use laptops for today. And having voice recognition that works so well that you don't even need keyboards any more is an interesting thought. The recognition on the Apple Watch is good but not great. So lots of technology would have to come together—everything from better software, higher-capacity batteries, more efficient wireless chips—I could go on. It's a tall order for 3-4 years when you consider we haven't come very far from the iPhone 5 to today (think core technologies). I also have a weird gut feeling that Apple might only come out with one Apple Watch model every two years. Maybe refresh it with some new colors, case materials, bands, etc. Kinda like how they come out with Apple TVs every three years or so.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

Four oF NINE

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2011
Hell's Kitchen
I dunno, it would be nice if Apple would post sales figures to get a gauge on movement.
I purchased both the Sport and the Stainless and returned the Stainless. I'm torn because at the end of the day, as much as I like the idea of quick glances and small bits of info, it's redundant and my Submariner doesn't need to put on a charger every night...

I'm in a quandary, I bought the Sport, traded it for the Stainless after a week, and I'm on the verge of returning it. Like you, I have the Subby, and while not quite as accurate or full functioned as the AW, it's not off by much. I really don't know what to do.. I'm double wristing both watches, AW and Subby which isn't as odd as I thought it would be. I really don't want to give it up, but I can't think of a compelling reason to keep it.

flur

macrumors 68020
Nov 12, 2012
you said launch :p

none of the launch ipod's had windows compatibility.

updated ones were released a year later. no first Generation ipod, with first gen internals, worked iwth windows.

you had effectively a 2nd gen ipod in a 1st gen casing.

Actually, what I said was that the first-gen iPod worked with PC, which has been proven true, and you even admitted it in your first response to me. You've been claiming I'm wrong even though in your very first response to me, you admitted I was right.

McDaddio

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2014
I wish I knew about the rose gold Edition coming out soon before i bought my watch.
But I understand that there will always be new colors and models coming out - just didn't think it would happen so soon.

Soccertess

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2005
Lol, try some critical thinking then!!!!!!!
You believe he was dissatisfied "as soon as it's landed on their (his) doormat"??
Hahahahahha! I trump your 90% surety with my 100% surety. He intended to scalp it prior to receiving it.

Critical thinking or flaming, I think you have them confused. Now before I get some trolling, I will explain my basic assumptions.

I believe he used a literary device called a hyperbole, and was not literally upset with the apple watch when it landed on the mat. This is because if he was dissatisfied with the Watch as soon as it landed on his doormat, that would mean he had not had the chance to open the box. Moreover, if he experienced any dissatisfaction at the moment the boxed landed on this door mat, the dissatisfaction should be directed at box, and not the contains in the box. I believe he opened the door, opened the box, used it, and then shortly after sold the device. This last leap was made because he alludes to dissatisfaction as he is posting against the accuracy of a survey.

Anyways, If he was a scalper and one of those flippers, by all means count me for some scolding! You may trump me with this survey, but using critical thinking and applying my basic understanding of literary techniques, I am open to the fact he may be one of those not satisfied with an Apple product.

There, I SAID IT. An Apple Fan boy MIGHT not be happy with an Apple product..... I guess I should be executed for such treason.....

And having used the Apple Watch, I decided it was not for me at this time as many others have expressed on this site. I am excited for wearables and see lots of potential, and am excited for future generations.

Last edited:

attila

macrumors 6502a
That's a disingenuous conclusion to make from this survey.

I'm more inclined to look at the detail:

Only 66% are very satisfied.
31% are somewhat satisfied.

I'm pretty sure that the very satisfied rates for the iPad were much higher than that. As such, this is the most disappointing reception for an Apple product in the post-Steve Jobs era, and probably the worst customer satisfaction rating for a new product since Steve Jobs returned to Apple in the 90s.

But I guess that sales have been dismal and the return rate substantial, so this is a desperate scrap to cling to.

And here you go (quick google - it actually compares the iPhone with a Blackberry):

9apple_vs_rim_satisfaction.gif

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Good grief. How embarrassing for the Times. Stories like that make me go, Why don't these people just sit down and THINK?

If the Apple Watch is doomed to failure it'll because, as the iPad is just a big iPod touch, the watch is just a small iPod touch. Top of that, the watch does what my phone already can do, as does the iPad already does what my phone and netbook can do. These are the metrics that the watch should be measured by.
And my question is who would want Facebook on their Watch? Doesn't make the Watch a flop, just means Facebook would be silly on it. Just like using Excel on an iPhone is less than a great UX. Does that mean the iPhone is a failure? Of course not.

aperry

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
And here you go (quick google - it actually compares the iPhone with a Blackberry):

9apple_vs_rim_satisfaction.gif

Ahh, so this proves that indeed people are less satisfied with the Watch, compared to the iPhone. Right? There has never been a time when the iPhone dipped as low as the Watch, when comparing the "very satisfied" percentage. It makes you wonder what motivation this analyst had for combining "Very Satisfied" with "Somewhat Satisfied" so that it appears like the Watch is doing better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.