Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robeddie

Suspended
Jul 21, 2003
Atlanta
I think the person who needs perspective is you. The fact that you think you're somehow smart enough, righteous enough and wise enough to judge others on what they should or shouldn't be proud of is extremely warped.

Nah, being proud of your stupid Apple watch is warped.

Mkovacs2011

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2015
What's the reason that the Apple Watch isn't available in most every country? I assume that the iPhone isn't due to cellular regulations, but I wouldn't assume a device like the watch would have that problem. Is it just a supply issue? Thoughts?

Nevaborn

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2013
AW just needs a UI overhaul. I was using one for the first time since launch yesterday and went to maps and could not get it to search for things nearby.

As someone else said right now when I have a 6S+ it feels void of a real purpose other than I want one as I can't carry this monster phone and exercise properly lol.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
The price of the watch needs to drop and battery life needs to be more than a day or two for this thing to rally take off. That's going to take awhile.

You absolutely nailed it.
I don't consider the Apple Watch a "watch", as it were. It's more like a high-end sports band with its short lifespan.

(It's also pretty ugly with it's giant curved rectangle block look. When I had one I found it a little big)

megadon

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2008
To this day I still haven't seen one person wearing an Apple Watch, let alone know anyone who has shown interest in purchasing one.

I think it's a neat and cool toy/gadget, but it's not a game changer like the iPhone.

I don't think there are enough people out there that are too busy that they can't afford the time to look at their phone to see who's calling or to read a text or email.

Analysts already showed that even if Apple sold 34 million watches, it would barely bring up their bottom line compared to how much money they pull in from other products.

It was never intended to be the new cash cow for Apple and it never will be. It's just something to keep apple relevant and to show they're not falling behind other companies.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

AFEPPL

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2014
England
I saw a women in the mall with one yesterday - just looked ridiculous.
I've seen a few around, but without a purpose or unique selling point, its just the fanboys with them

Keane16

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2007
Agreed. In general watches were not fundamentally broken or in need of a revamp, the way phones were back in the day of ugly Treo's and Blackberries.

Yes, fitness trackers are all the rage but what Apple came up with still seems like a solution for a problem no one had. Watches have sentimental value. I still wear a 20 year old Seiko because I like the style and it was a gift from my parents. People don't get sentimental about technology the same way.

Disagree completely. I was trying to hold out for the 2nd gen. But the strap on my daily wear analogue watch broke, and was about £100 to replace. So I decided to try the Apple Watch.

Had it for about a week. I've worn it everyday (I always wear a watch). On Saturday I had a formal event. So I wore my nicer analogue watch (not the one that broke, another) - within 15 minutes I missed my Apple Watch. Something I never expected. Like you mentioned the analogue watch I was wearing is valuable to me in a monetary sense and sentimentally. The biggest thing? The Apple Watch is just way clearer for the most basic task... telling the time! Being in a dimly lit room for the event dinner I never realised how long it takes the eyes to focus on the analogue hands. It's never been an issue in the past as I only wear analogue watches. But I noticed instantly that it took me a split second to focus - nothing earth shattering, but annoying.

Similar to how the 4 digit passcode was no real big deal, until you use TouchID and now entering passcodes is a small annoyance.

Not sure I'll wear my Apple Watch to the next event I go to as I love the way my analogue watch looks. But I am certainly not going to get my broken watch fixed any time soon, the Apple Watch is just a better watch on a day to day basis. Especially as someone who runs in the morning a few times a week and works out at the gym 3 times a week. It's a great companion.

Remember when then RIM came out with the Playbook tablet? Everyone crapped on it because you couldn't even do email if it wasn't in the same room as your Blackberry. But now it's okay if the Watch is crippled in the same way. No thanks.

Not quite sure what you mean? Old watches told the time, some had stopwatches, some had alarms others may have had a calculator. Apple Watch does all of them things my traditional watches did - so not sure what you think is crippled about the Apple Watch when using it as a watch.

And lets not forget the hundreds of extra things the Apple Watch can do. Not sure why you would want to do the same tasks on the watch and phone, the screen is way to small. The interaction model of glances Apple has come up with is good. It limits how long I spend staring at the tiny screen. But for things like sports scores - it's brilliant. If I need to do something a bit more involved I whip out my phone.

I think the Watch is a vanity project for Jony Ive who has stated that he wanted to do a luxury product and Tim Cook who doeant know any better and is under great pressure to find the Next Big Thing.

Again I disagree. As mentioned above I prefer the Apple Watch to my analogue watches.

Also who is Tim Cook under pressure from? The stock price has more than doubled since he took over, sales across the board are strong, customer satisfaction is high, Apple as a company is opening up (e.g. the recent comments about wanting to partner with the like of Microsoft) and Apple is leading the way on things like Privacy and Supplier Responsibility.

As a share holder I'm extremely pleased with the company's performance and direction under Cook.

The price of the watch needs to drop and battery life needs to be more than a day or two for this thing to rally take off. That's going to take awhile.

The Apple watch is cheaper than my broken analogue watch and 10 times cheaper than my nice analogue watch. It is built with quality materials. £299 starting for a decent watch is already cheap.

In my week with the watch I've never ended the day with less than 30% battery. And on some days more than 50% before I took it off.

Not sure why it needs more battery right now? It lasts all day. I used to take my analogue watch off before bed and place it on the bedside table. Now I take my Apple Watch off and pop it on its charger (also Nightstand is a cool new feature). I don't sleep in my watch (others might?) - they might want a longer battery life? I think there are other better trackers if you want to sleep with it on though.

If they could make it last a week great, but 2 or 3 days? I'd still charge it every night anyway as it's pretty much zero difference to my routine each night if I charge it or don't, I'd love my iPhone battery to be as good as the Watch.

kcipopnevets

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2015
Good Luck with all that. I have a 6s Plus and I can leave the phone at home and run with the watch and Bluetooth headphones.

I don't need a phone tethered to myself all the time. But with Apple Watch I don't need iPhone for music.

Considering Apple Watch outsold the collective android wear stable there are no worries.
That still doesn't dismiss the fact that smartwatches are very niche and an utter failure in general. All that functionality can be accessed on your phone so why would you want to pay an extra half of the price of the phone to get a watch that needs the phone to function? If the Moto 360 was junk, we can infer smartwatches are conclusively ahead of their time.

megadon

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2008
That still doesn't dismiss the fact that smartwatches are very niche and an utter failure in general. All that functionality can be accessed on your phone so why would you want to pay an extra half of the price of the phone to get a watch that needs the phone to function? If the Moto 360 was junk, we can infer smartwatches are conclusively ahead of their time.

The sales numbers speak for themselves. The fact that you don't see many people with Apple Watch or smart watches in general is due to the fact that they offer very little utility that a smartphone already offers. I don't get the fashion argument either. Generally hi end fashion is something that you don't want to be mass produced. It's a cool toy/gadget but kinda like a lava lamp, doesn't do much. Unless you're too busy to look who's calling. Feel like it's just a notification bar on your wrist.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.