Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has disclosed that it will charge an out-of-warranty service fee of $229, $329 and $2,800 for the Sport, Watch and Edition models respectively for repairs not covered by Apple's limited one-year warranty or AppleCare+ extended coverage plans. Out-of-warranty battery service is also available for $79 plus an applicable $6.95 shipping charge if required for all Apple Watch models.

Apple-Watch-Out-of-Warranty.png
The prices listed are based on official service through Apple in the United States, with pricing and terms varying for service through an Apple Authorized Service Provider. Apple will not repair an Apple Watch under certain circumstances, such as if the device is broken into multiple pieces, and did not provide pricing information for other accessories or peripherals.

Apple will be providing out-of-warranty service for the Apple Watch in all nine first wave launch countries, including the United States, Australia, Canada, China, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Japan and United Kingdom. Service charges vary based on local currencies, with out-of-warranty fees costing, for example, a higher $299, $419 and $3,599 for the Sport, Watch and Edition models respectively in Canada.

Apple-Watch-Express-Replacement-Pricing.png
Apple will also be offering Express Replacement service for the Apple Watch for customers that purchase an AppleCare+ for Apple Watch plan. When requested, Apple will send you packaging to return an Apple Watch in for repair or service, and ship out a replacement unit approximately two to three business days later. Apple ensures that the replacement will be the same model you originally bought and new or equivalent in performance and reliability.

Express Replacement service is free for the Apple Watch, but costs $300 to $350 for the Apple Watch Sport, $500 to $600 for the stainless steel Apple Watch and $8000 to $10,000 for Apple Watch Edition if the original Watch is not returned. Apple will also charge a late or non-return fee of $35.50 to $60.50 (Sport), $85.50 to $135.50 (Watch) or $2,600 to $3,600 (Edition) if Apple does not receive your original Apple Watch after more than 10 business days, with some exceptions.

Article Link: Apple Watch Out-of-Warranty Service Fees Range From $229 to $2,800

Vanilla Face

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2013
This article is incorrect. The replacement cost isn't the express replacement fee, that's what they will charge you of you don't return your old watch after they send you a new one.

apple_iBoy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2003
Philadelphia, PA
So, if you spill water on it or crack the screen, you pay more to have that fixed because you chose to pay more for a more expensive material in the first place?

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
I've no sympathy for anyone wearing the U.S. minimum salary on their wrist. If you insist on flaunting it, plenty of people will help you spend it.

And lol at the people who thought there'd be free hardware upgrades with that thing.

Sasparilla

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2012
Shouldn't the service fee be the same for all watch versions?

It's just the case material that is different, right? Not how you open it up and do things. The service fees seem like (and I say this as a Mac, iPad, iPhone owner) a rip-off.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
I hope they mean accidental damage not repair due to the device failing, as in Europe we have longer than one year, sorry apple :)

Azzin

macrumors 603
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.
I hope they mean accidental damage not repair due to the device failing, as in Europe we have longer than one year, sorry apple :)

In the UK, we get a 1 year warranty.

I think most of the EU gets 2 years?

In the UK, we also get the ability to make a legal claim against the retailer for up to 6 years (no ability in EU I don't think).

kupkakez

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2011
Austin, TX
Yikes typically I forgo Apple Care+ because I have yet to ever break/spill anything on a device. Something told me at 2am I better grab Apple Care for this thing.

The OOW costs seem rather high. Don't even get me started on the Edition pricing.

AlphaTeam

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2005
That is crazy pricing for the Apple Logo Watch Edition. It has the same guts. So if the internals fail and there is no physical damage its $2500 more to fix? That is BS.

----------

what's a Late Fee?

It looks like they will cross ship you a replacement. If you don't return it fast enough, you get a late fee.

grimmace

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2003
Boston
Applecare for the AL but most likely could go without for the SS model

As a person that always wears a watch, I think that the applecare is worth getting, however, I also think that the SS version would be fine without. It should be pretty strong and not have many problems in getting dented like the aluminum kind. Not sure yet about scratches on the AL either.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.