Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple does not break out sales of the Apple Watch like it does for the iPhone, iPad, and Mac, but according to Apple CEO Tim Cook, the Apple Watch set all time unit and revenue records during the first fiscal quarter of 2017, suggesting significant sales during the holidays.

Cook said holiday demand was "so strong" that Apple "couldn't make enough." He went on to say the company is thrilled with the response its seen to the wearable device.

apple-watch-series-2-2-800x395.jpg

While the Apple Watch set an all time revenue record, that's not reflected in Apple's "Other" products category, which was down eight percent year over year.

"Other," which includes the Apple TV, Apple Watch, Beats products, the iPod, and Apple-branded and third-party accessories (including the new AirPods), brought in $4.02 billion, down from $4.35 billion in the year-ago quarter.

It's not clear what was responsible for the drop if Apple Watch sales are up, but slower Beats and Apple TV sales could be one explanation.

Apple also set revenue records for the iPhone and Mac, along with its Services category.

Update: Apple CFO Luca Maestri told the Financial Times that Apple TV sales were down year over year, better explaining the revenue drop in the "Other" category despite surging Apple Watch sales.

Article Link: Apple Watch Sets All Time Revenue Record in Q1 2017

mcfrazieriv

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2012
I use the Apple Watch everyday even though I was quite against the idea in the very beginning. Great to get an estimate on your calorie output and activity level day by day... but still incredible infant. Heart rate monitor is inaccurate most of the time, your activity isn't stored in iCloud for some reason and the damn watch crashes/restarts just as much as the first iPhone did.

Reactions: Gorms

ThaRuler

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2016
Again, just more proof that AW is a flop. Apple should just kill it already. I think it's safe to say now that AW wasn't a hit.

RedOrchestra

Suspended
Aug 13, 2012
Apple Watch Sets All Time Revenue Record in Q1 2017

How does anyone really know because, Tim said so? This from the MR write-up ...

- Apple does not break out sales of the Apple Watch

- While the Apple Watch set an all time revenue record, that's not reflected in Apple's "Other" products category, which was down eight percent year over year.

- "Other," which includes the Apple TV, Apple Watch, Beats products, the iPod, and Apple-branded and third-party accessories (including the new AirPods)

Somebody's BSing here. I defy anyone to breakout the "Other" numbers to give credence to Cook's statement.

EDIT: Cook can say anything because they've never suppled baseline data for initial sales and on-going sales - so it's a pretty meaningless representation.

Last edited:

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
Apple Watch Sets All Time Revenue Record in Q1 2017

How does anyone really know because, Tim said so? This from the MR write-up ...

- Apple does not break out sales of the Apple Watch

- While the Apple Watch set an all time revenue record, that's not reflected in Apple's "Other" products category, which was down eight percent year over year.

- "Other," which includes the Apple TV, Apple Watch, Beats products, the iPod, and Apple-branded and third-party accessories (including the new AirPods)

Somebody's BSing here. I defy anyone to breakout the "Other" numbers to give credence to Cook's statement.
The record just means more than last time no? They could sell 5 more this year than last and it would be a record.

Gorms

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2012
UK
your activity isn't stored in iCloud for some reason

I'd take a punt it's because it's health data and only stored on the secure enclave area. I'm think that's the case for health data anyways? Privacy issues

ghost187

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
Wonder if the analysts are going to ask Cook why "Other" sales are off?

Couldn't have been that much of a record if the others category is down, especially since they updated some of the beats products recently as well, and I'm sure dongles are selling like hot cakes which is also in there.

Khalanad75

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2015
land of confusion
Couldn't have been that much of a record if the others category is down, especially since they updated some of the beats products recently as well, and I'm sure dongles are selling like hot cakes which is also in there.

Actually, it could. Stock was out everywhere and it was difficult to find any, yet alone the watch/strap combination you wanted.

Reactions: djcerla

Gorms

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2012
UK
That strong decline is definitely, in part, the Apple TV. Apple's fault, they dropped the ball with TV 4/5 years ago.

Yay for my beloved Watch though.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
To all those that are calling BS on Tim Cook's statement ...

Stop. He's an officer of the company and has material information. If it were to come out that this is a lie, he's in deep trouble. He's not risking that just to pump up Awatch numbers, especially when they posted record revenues otherwise.

Now if you're saying that he's fudging the numbers and not really lying, then yeah, without the baseline numbers, you might want to take the statement with a grain of salt.

But me, I'll take his word over some analyst looking at shady supplier numbers and extrapolating sales estimates any day.

Zirel

Suspended
Jul 24, 2015
The record just means more than last time no? They could sell 5 more this year than last and it would be a record.

No, a record for any smartwatch ever.

And not always the sales go up... ask Samsung, which didn't surpass the Galaxy S4 record with the S5, S6 and not with the S7.

UltimaKilo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2007
FL
Apple has really dropped the ball with the Apple TV. It's a shame, because it could be a huge area of growth for the company.

The Apple Watch is still a very young product with a lot of innovation and improvements left to be made. I'd like to see the sensors greatly improve, an extra 3-4 hours of battery and a thinner design.

However, the Series 2 is a huge improvement over the first.

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
Again, just more proof that AW is a flop. Apple should just kill it already. I think it's safe to say now that AW wasn't a hit.

The #1 seller in the smart watch category, making millions a year, and you honestly believe they should kill it? How obtuse are you? It's selling more than 2x what the 2nd most popular smart watch does.

I'm so glad you aren't in charge of Apple. It's be out of business long ago if that was the case.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
The #1 seller in the smart watch category, making millions a year, and you honestly believe they should kill it? How obtuse are you? It's selling more than 2x what the 2nd most popular smart watch does.

I'm so glad you aren't in charge of Apple. It's be out of business long ago if that was the case.
Probably more of a sarcastic reference to a typical generic MacRumors type of comment than anything else.

Reactions: 69Mustang
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.