Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple-Watch-Nike.png
Just hours after Apple Watch Series 2 pre-orders became available, shipping estimates for most 38mm and 42mm models have slipped to 2-3 weeks in the U.S. for new orders placed through Apple's online store.

Apple Watch Nike+ models are expected to ship in late October, while the new 42mm ceramic Apple Watch Edition ships in 5-7 weeks. Apple Watch Series 1 models remain available for September 16 launch day delivery.

Best Buy, however, still appears to be offering shipped-to-home September 16 launch day delivery in the U.S. for several Apple Watch Series 2 models, including aluminum and stainless steel variants. It does not appear to be selling the ceramic Apple Watch Edition.

Apple-Watch-Series-2-Best-Buy.jpg

For those that elected not to or are uninterested in pre-ordering online, Apple Watch Series 2 models launch at Apple retail stores and authorized resellers like Best Buy on September 16. In-store stock will likely be very limited, with customers accepted on a first come, first served basis.

Apple Watch Series 2 models feature a built-in GPS, water resistance up to 50 meters, a faster S2 dual-core processor, and a display that is two times brighter than the original Apple Watch. Series 2 models will come with watchOS 3 preinstalled, while the software will be released as a standalone update on September 13.

Article Link: Apple Watch Series 2 Shipping Estimates Slip to 2-3 Weeks, Best Buy Still Promises Launch Day Delivery

Reactions: appledefenceforce

lionsy

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2010
I'm sorry, but this is headline news why?

Because this is an Apple news website and people are interested in news about Apple products... And it's also a helpful post, telling people that shops other than the Apple Store still have stock available for release date.

For people worried about not getting theirs on release date, every year this happens and every year loads of people not expecting it, get it shipped on release date because of other people cancelling and extra stock. Don't cancel until the 16th, then you can go and pick one up in an apple shop if it still didn't ship!

beanbaguk

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2014
Europe
Because people believe that the watch doesn't sell well, when clearly it does.

This means nothing. It could be limited stock to Best Buy. It could be supply chain issues. It could be a whole host of things. And the Apple Watch has never sold well and nor will it. The "Series 2" proves this with it's incalculable number of variants.

Fitness watch? Don't make me laugh! Give me a Garmin any day of the week.

Reactions: ArtOfWarfare

joueboy

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2008
Here I copy and pasted my comment on iPhone 7 earlier:
Don't worry guys once that thing is officially released, they're going to be available everywhere. This fake supply constraints is just to get attention. Your christmas still going to be great and you have plenty of time. :D

Jessem1133

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2014
I wouldn't trust this. Best Buy has oversold products, then canceled people's orders in the past. Im keeping my order I made on Apple.com even though i'll get it a week later.

Agreed. Having dealt with Best Buy and Target in the past with pre-orders...I wouldn't go anywhere near them.

Reactions: Surfer13134

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
I need a Series 2 Sport (non-Nike) by Thanksgiving for a birthday, but would rather not having it sit in a closet for weeks before then.

When should I order? Are we thinking that shipping times will get much worse than 2-3 weeks before they get better?

lionsy

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2010
This means nothing. It could be limited stock to Best Buy. It could be supply chain issues. It could be a whole host of things. And the Apple Watch has never sold well and nor will it. The "Series 2" proves this with it's incalculable number of variants.

Fitness watch? Don't make me laugh! Give me a Garmin any day of the week.

Yeah, it just sounds like you don't want to see Apple Watch news on the front page because you think it's a bad product, I don't think the AppleTV I got is particularly good but I don't post on news articles "why is this news!"

Mentally filter it out of the front page and move on and you'll enjoy your visits here more.

Raineer

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2008
I don't think Apple had ramped up production on all models for launch. I had ordered and paid by 12:02 Cupertino time, literally in the first 60 seconds.
- Watch A, a Series 2 38mm Gold Aluminum, ETA to deliver between 9/26-9/28
- Watch B, a Series 2 42mm Gold Aluminum, ready to deliver 9/16

The 38mm didn't get enough love.

PLin

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2003
I just ordered from Best Buy in case it arrives sooner than the one I ordered from Apple, but I'm not cancelling my Apple order. Both Apple and Best Buy are easy to deal with if I have to return one.

bizzy045

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2011
I just ordered from Best Buy in case it arrives sooner than the one I ordered from Apple, but I'm not cancelling my Apple order. Both Apple and Best Buy are easy to deal with if I have to return one.

I did the same. Apple quoted ship time for me is 26-28th. I'll just return whichever comes later. Hoping Best Buy comes through for the 16th.

illitrate23

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2004
uk
why would limited stock to Best Buy cause Apple to slip the shipping times on Apple's online store??

hlevolve

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2014
I bought the original Apple Watch and I think I'm going to hold off for whatever they might do next year (or thereafter) it absolutely needs that speed boost of the new processor but I'm keeping hope that WatchOS3 will make a large difference for my current watch and make it feel "new" anyway. For anyone who didn't get the original watch I think this would be a great time to jump in. I have loved mine and I use it many times daily. I find that I don't swap my faces up very often on it though... I almost always keep the modular face because it has the most information on it at any given glance... I love the watch though, I think people that get this new one will love it just as much if not more.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
watchOS 3 seems like it turns my existing one into a whole new watch. I don't require gps so will probably pass this time around.

Kind of puts in perspective how rapidly Android devices are abandoned and stop getting updates! (Even before you even finish paying for them...)

But I forgot... "Apple is greedy and only wants to force you to upgrade." :p

lionsy

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2010
I bought the original Apple Watch and I think I'm going to hold off for whatever they might do next year (or thereafter) it absolutely needs that speed boost of the new processor but I'm keeping hope that WatchOS3 will make a large difference for my current watch and make it feel "new" anyway. For anyone who didn't get the original watch I think this would be a great time to jump in. I have loved mine and I use it many times daily. I find that I don't swap my faces up very often on it though... I almost always keep the modular face because it has the most information on it at any given glance... I love the watch though, I think people that get this new one will love it just as much if not more.

Only reason I'm upgrading is because I bought the cheapest edition first time round for two reasons: it was cheaper(!) and when I tested the sapphire screen in the sun I was not all that impressed. I'm upgrading to get the SS which is what I really wanted first time round and the increased brightness will hopefully fix the problem I had first time round :D

I've also accepted I'm not going to be getting all that much for my original in resale value so I'll end up giving it to a friend or family

Reactions: 44267547

ziggie216

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2008
Yeah, it just sounds like you don't want to see Apple Watch news on the front page because you think it's a bad product, I don't think the AppleTV I got is particularly good but I don't post on news articles "why is this news!"

Mentally filter it out of the front page and move on and you'll enjoy your visits here more.

It's that time of the year again when people are having mood swings

Reactions: mdelvecchio

SBlue1

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2008
watchOS 3 seems like it turns my existing one into a whole new watch. I don't require gps so will probably pass this time around.

It feels so strange that Apple really fell into the one-year cycle for the Apple Watch. Who is buying a new watch every year? This is not a phone. Even a cheap plastic watch is meant to be worn for 2 to 4 years until it falls apart or the plastic glass is all scratched and unreadable. A big name expensive watch is worn 5 to 10 years. Gold watches are even given to your children. I still have my first "real" swiss watch (besides my old swatch) and refitted it with new bands and a new sapphire glass just out of nostalgia.

Apple should have at least gone for a two or three year cycle like the iPad or the Macs if they want to place it in the serious fashion and fitness department.

PLin

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2003
Only reason I'm upgrading is because I bought the cheapest edition first time round for two reasons: it was cheaper(!) and when I tested the sapphire screen in the sun I was not all that impressed. I'm upgrading to get the SS which is what I really wanted first time round and the increased brightness will hopefully fix the problem I had first time round :D

I've also accepted I'm not going to be getting all that much for my original in resale value so I'll end up giving it to a friend or family

I'm doing the opposite. I bought SS last year, but I'm buying the cheapest this time around. If Apple is going to release a new watch every 12-18 months, I'm not going to bother paying a premium every time. It's not like an iPhone in which paying a premium gets you more storage and additional features like the better camera.

Tamagotchi

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2013
I love my Apple Watch Series 1.

This morning I ordered the Black iPhone 7 Plus 128 (delivery around the 26th), and the Nike version of the Apple Watch Series 2 (delivery around end October) - I'm an avid runner.

However... after a couple of hours I cancelled my Apple Watch order... It's just the same as my current series one... It feels like a 4S, 5S, 6S type of upgrade ("S" meaning Snooze).

I'm look forward to Series 3, but Series 2 is not for me.

mrfoof82

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2010
Lawton, OK
The 42mm Series 2 Stainless Steel (non-coated) with a Sport Band went to ~2 weeks delayed within 4 minutes of the store making things available.

I might've been able to place an order sooner if I thought to use the Apple Store app on my phone instead of trying to use the website. The app was very responsive, whereas the website was still giving "We're getting ready" messages until nearly 3:10 AM EST.

crisss1205

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2008
NYC
I love my Apple Watch Series 1.

This morning I ordered the Black iPhone 7 Plus 128 (delivery around the 26th), and the Nike version of the Apple Watch Series 2 (delivery around end October) - I'm an avid runner.

However... after a couple of hours I cancelled my Apple Watch order... It's just the same as my current series one... It feels like a 4S, 5S, 6S type of upgrade ("S" meaning Snooze).

I'm look forward to Series 3, but Series 2 is not for me.

FYI, your watch is a "1st generation" not a "Series 1" watch.

The series 1 watch is not the same as the current Apple Watch.

Reactions: Glideslope
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.