Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dodgeman

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 30, 2016
1) If I un mute my AW do I have a choice of alert sounds or is it only a preset sound or is what my phone plays?
(What sound can I expect from a text message?)
(Literally had it on mute since day 1)

2) If I set an alarm can I have only the alarm make a sound but Watch still on mute?

3) Can the alarm function with ONLY vibration and no sounds when being worn and on mute? (Thinking this is what I'd be most interested in.)
[doublepost=1480822812][/doublepost]Another question if the aw is muted and I have an alarm set for 1pm let's say and it's off my wrist will it just vibrate or make noise? (<-- Not charging)
If it's charging will it make noise? (<-- Not nightstand mode though)
I'm thinking if I'm not using it maybe my best bet to turn off the Watch or all alarms. I know sometimes that I have certain alarms set for certain events on certain days but I may not need to be disturbed.

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
1) If I un mute my AW do I have a choice of alert sounds or is it only a preset sound or is what my phone plays?
(What sound can I expect from a text message?)
(Literally had it on mute since day 1)
Unmute it and see what happens.

2) If I set an alarm can I have only the alarm make a sound but Watch still on mute?
Re-word this question; "If I set an alarm..." Okay, but set the alarm on what?

3) Can the alarm function with ONLY vibration and no sounds when being worn and on mute? (Thinking this is what I'd be most interested in.)
Yes. I do it this way a lot.

Another question if the aw is muted and I have an alarm set for 1pm let's say and it's off my wrist will it just vibrate or make noise? (<-- Not charging)
If it's charging will it make noise? (<-- Not nightstand mode though)
I'm thinking if I'm not using it maybe my best bet to turn off the Watch or all alarms. I know sometimes that I have certain alarms set for certain events on certain days but I may not need to be disturbed.
If it's not on Silent mode, yes, it'll make an alarm sound.

Dodgeman

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 30, 2016
I tested the alarm sound. Works when the Watch was off the wrist. Nice sound, but two questions...

1) Can I change the alarm sound? (I'll double check this)

2) Can I adjust the volume of the alarm to just vibrate or make the sound louder/quieter?
[doublepost=1481076017][/doublepost]There's times I may want an alarm to buzz me but not neccessilary go off.

Lennyvalentin

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2011
I believe the watch sound effects are fixed and unchangeable, probably because the extremely small speaker used isn't suited to reproducing most frequencies, so the sounds are tailored to fit the audio system of the watch.

You can adjust speaker volume in the settings app on the watch, and probably the apple watch app on your iphone as well.

Not sure what you mean by having an alarm "buzz you but not go off". An alarm would by definition go off at a particular time, but not before that, and when it goes off it buzzes you, using the built-in vibrator. It won't buzz you until it actually goes off. :)

Dodgeman

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 30, 2016
☝️ What I mean is no "sound" only the buzz.
Didn't see anything for the volume change but I'll take a look.

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
The Mute button in the watch's Control Center mutes everything, including the alarm I use to wake myself in the morning [edit: while wearing it overnight]. But it does not turn off the vibration, which makes the morning alarm totally silent.

Last edited:

Dodgeman

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 30, 2016
The Mute button in the watch's Control Center mutes everything, including the alarm I use to wake myself in the morning. But it does not turn off the vibration, which makes the morning alarm totally silent.

I haven't experienced this. I did an alarm test and I still got sound even with the bell selected to not have sound.

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
I should've said -- this was while it was on my wrist.

It's rarely on the charger overnight -- I wear it into bed so it can wake me by tapping on my wrist. So far, it's been better at alerting me than almost any audible alarm.

I think it will make sound for an alarm while it's on the charger regardless of whether you set it on Mute or not. It's assuming that you set the alarm for good reason, after all.

Dodgeman

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 30, 2016
I should've said -- this was while it was on my wrist.

It's rarely on the charger overnight -- I wear it into bed so it can wake me by tapping on my wrist. So far, it's been better at alerting me than almost any audible alarm.

I think it will make sound for an alarm while it's on the charger regardless of whether you set it on Mute or not. It's assuming that you set the alarm for good reason, after all.

So while the Watch is on your wrist and the sound is on mute you still get the vibration? That's what I'm looking for?
I have certain things to do at certain times of the day and I'd like to have a vibration (alarm) before hand.

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
So while the Watch is on your wrist and the sound is on mute you still get the vibration? That's what I'm looking for?
I have certain things to do at certain times of the day and I'd like to have a vibration (alarm) before hand.

I can't think of any time when I've had a notification or alarm that's made a sound when I've been wearing the watch and had it on Mute.

Apple must've figured that if you took the time to set the mute "on", you really don't want any noises. One of the neat tricks of the watch is getting a subtle-but-silent tap with no "ding" and no lighting up the screen -- perfect for business meetings or quiet dinners.

Again, on the charger, it's probably a different story. But mine is often on my wrist anyway when my alarms trigger.

Dodgeman

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 30, 2016
I can't think of any time when I've had a notification or alarm that's made a sound when I've been wearing the watch and had it on Mute.

Apple must've figured that if you took the time to set the mute "on", you really don't want any noises. One of the neat tricks of the watch is getting a subtle-but-silent tap with no "ding" and no lighting up the screen -- perfect for business meetings or quiet dinners.

Again, on the charger, it's probably a different story. But mine is often on my wrist anyway when my alarms trigger.

Perfect I'll give it a try! Ideally that's what I'd be looking for!

qwertylerqw

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2018
I realize that this forum is very old, but to clear up any confusion someone else may be having I would like to explain how Apple Watch handles alarms.

When Silent Mode is enabled and Apple Watch is on your wrist: Alarms will not make a sound but will give a vibration.

When Silent Mode is enabled and Apple Watch is connected to the charging cord: Even if Silent mode is Enabled, your alarms will still make a sound. (Note: The Apple Watch doesn’t need to be plugged in to power, it only needs to be connected to the charger, so there is no threat of the alarm not sounding due to the electricity going out.)

Reactions: Pntblnk
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.