Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

While T-Mobile CEO John Legere announced last week that the carrier would begin selling the Apple Watch he did not provide a specific release date. MacRumors has learned that T-Mobile will begin selling the Apple Watch on September 25. Additionally, 9to5Mac reports that Sprint will also start selling the device on the same day.

applewatch.png

With the iPhone 6s and 6 Plus launching on September 25, it's likely carriers want the ability to sell Apple's smartwatch as an accessory to the Cupertino company's new flagship smartphones. While it's unknown whether Verizon and AT&T will also sell Apple Watch on September 25, it's possible they will also sell the device.

Since launching in April, the Apple Watch has slowly been expanding to retailers like Best Buy in the U.S. and other countries. Initially, Apple Watch was limited to Apple Stores and select retail boutiques.

Update: Sprint has confirmed it will begin selling the Apple Watch on September 25.

Apple-Watch-Sprint.jpg

(Thanks, Joey!)

Article Link: T-Mobile and Sprint to Start Selling Apple Watch on September 25

youradhere4222

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2007
Seems like a weird move to me and I'm surprised Apple is allowing it. Part of the Apple Watch buying experience is looking inside the case, trying different models on and having an Apple employee help you set it up. Selling the watch off the shelves of a T-Mobile strip center location doesn't seem fitting.

ronntaylor

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2004
Flushing, New York
This may spur sales now, but won't be really big until future iterations. Especially with all four major carriers in the game with payment plans and the possibility of cellular capability.

iDuel

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2011
Greece/USA
Seems like a weird move to me and I'm surprised Apple is allowing it. Part of the Apple Watch buying experience is looking inside the case, trying different models on and having an Apple employee help you set it up. Selling the watch off the shelves of a T-Mobile strip center location doesn't seem fitting.
Believe it or not, they are in the game to sell. By having the AppleWatch available at many locations with differing payment plans outside the Apple Store, they can reach a wider audience.

bebo

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2005
I saw an apple watch finally at one of my local best buys. Got to play with it. Not sure how'd I'd really use it at this point. I've only seen 1 person wearing it in the wild (basically to track his steps, etc).

Maybe WatchOS 2 will finally make the watch useful. As it stands, I still don't see the point. Its a toy.

nickmcpherson97

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada

Mine came inside a brown box from the UPS guy. The experience was still quite enjoyable on my own

wesk702

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2007
The hood
Probably cause that model hasn't really drove sales as expected. Maybe that's why Angela hasn't been around much lately. Tim and Co basically said this craps not working. F it, forget the boutiques, just sell it at T-Mobile.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
Probably cause that model hasn't really drove sales as expected. Maybe that's why Angela hasn't been around much lately. Tim and Co basically said this craps not working. F it, forget the boutiques, just sell it at T-Mobile.
I'm convinced the AppleWatch is here to stay; it's just taking a bit longer to catch on big time. Continued miniaturization, cellular capability, improved battery tech and tons of standalone Apps will propel this puppy into the stratosphere. All that may take a few years, but in the meantime this new gadget is here to stay. Count on it!

Reactions: macaximx

Soccertess

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2005

I think they needed to make the shift in strategy because the current strategy sucked. I really can't believe they priced and positioned it as Jewelry. However, not everyone of us makes Tim's and Angela's salary... so we aren't buying 1000 dollar watch every year. Sure they made the Sport version for us common folks, but i'm still not convinced the utility is there.

But it's all good, I'm sure Angela has earned her salary.... :p

Reactions: Col4bin

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal
I'm convinced the AppleWatch is here to stay; it's just taking a bit longer to catch on big time. Continued miniaturization, cellular capability, improved battery tech and tons of standalone Apps will propel this puppy into the stratosphere. All that may take a few years, but in the meantime this new gadget is here to stay. Count on it!

How is taking longer when its selling more than Ipod, Ipad and Iphone in its initial period, depends on an other device and had a very limited number of sales channels and launch countries initially. If anything, it sold fantastically for something launched during late spring. Fall sales will be very high.

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal
I saw an apple watch finally at one of my local best buys. Got to play with it. Not sure how'd I'd really use it at this point. I've only seen 1 person wearing it in the wild (basically to track his steps, etc).

Maybe WatchOS 2 will finally make the watch useful. As it stands, I still don't see the point. Its a toy.

I've seen plenty, because of the job I'm in that would be expected. I'd seen a lot less Iphones in Canada in 2008, than I've seen watches. It's plenty useful already except when using third party apps, which are as clunky as the first Iphone's web apps... And we know how that turned out...

Reactions: AppleFan78
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.