Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
Yeah, but you have to lift your wrist all the way up to the counter with the apple watch! Sooo exhausting! :p
Hold on just a little bit longer. Telepathic payments are just around the corner. No fuss, no muss, no more getting' that iPhone out of pocket or purse, and no more tiresome wrist lifting; you simply 'think' paying and presto, it's done.

Of course all that thinking while on an exhaustive shopping trip can get to you also. What we really need is a 24hr assistant, unpaid of course, to deal with all our headaches so we can experience continuous Nirvana.

RichTF

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2007
London, UK
I've started just saying "Can I pay by card, please" since some old lady was confused at Marks & Sparks one time
Yeah, I just say "Contactless?", seems to work well and people don't get confused (just surprised sometimes when I use my watch instead of a card :))

BillyTrimble

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2013
Not making assumptions about intelligence here. Credit card companies know a ton about human psychology and the fact that, on average, the less tactile a purchase is, the more detached people are from the actual dollars being added to their CC account. This results in spending more, which is exactly what makes CC co's money.
Then in the interest of protecting people from themselves, let's just eliminate credit cards, checkbooks, apple watches, etc. Only cash.

So sad that you don't understand personal responsibility. That you would condemn and blame a credit card or iPhone, or watch for making people spend more money than if they used cash is simply the desperate statement of an apple hater and basher. Surely you've sent letters to Master Card etc blasting them for making people waste their hard earned income on unnecessary purchases. For if you haven't but yet condemn apple, you are a hypocrite.

BillyTrimble

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2013
It works. It works well when it works. I LOVE Apple. No one is trying to bash anything here. But Apple pay is NOT 100% yet. Even retailers that are totally on board w/ :apple:pay still have problems. Why is that so insulting to you?
It's not. Of course nothing is perfect. It never will be. But it's the lack of intelligence here and blanket need to hate by some here that bothers me. It's like Ben Frost who said it was painful and terribly uncomfortable for someone to momentarily move their wrist into a position to use the watch for apple pay. It's that kind of hateful nonsense, that is getting so pervasive here, that really irks me.

Reactions: Azzin

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal
You gotta draw the line somewhere. Seen the movie Wall-E yet? Once everything becomes convenient as you say, we will be doing next to nothing. Just sayin'

Really, the line, so fumbling with 20 cards in your wallet is somehow a sign of an advanced society... Why not barter the food we killed ourselves, seems like we've "regressed" since then (sic)

Spending less time fumbling cards, entering pins, with as a plus less ID theft (and plain theft if your wallet in your back pocket) and privacy has a lot more advantage than mere convenience. And, losing your watch is usually harder than losing your wallet... And replacing the card in such case would be much easier too (no need too!).

JustThinkin'

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2014
Now if Apple can just create a 'Tim Cook' watch face (and get most users to switch to their right wrist) we'll be all set! ;)

lazyrighteye

Contributor
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO
I don't carry cash. So any/all transactions are card-based.
With Watch, I look tho leverage ApplePay at any/all transactions. "IF" a retailer has NFC, I'm seeing about a 50% success rate. 1/2 the time it works as advertised. The other 1/2 of the time, it appears the NFC readers are the weak link. And those behind the register are [understandably] little help.

Here's hoping for more adoption/support from banks, lenders and retailers. I do like the ease of wrist-to-device transactions and the associated security benefits.

robeddie

Suspended
Jul 21, 2003
Atlanta
"Blow money on yet more things"??? The beauty of this statement is that it's so stupid and absurd as to make you look very bad. I actually think that you believe that having apple pay makes me spend money I wouldn't have normally spent just to use apple pay, whether on the watch or iPhone.

Yes, you're correct. I really didn't want that $4000 new tv, but I bought it just so I could use apple pay on my watch.
But the meat, produce, etc that I get at Whole Food and the prescriptions I pick up at Walgreens are the exact same products I would get if I used a credit card.

And the "fact" that's it's marginally useful to you doesn't mean it isn't very useful to me. Why do you think you can speak for me?

What is wrong with your people? Why do you make up absurdities in order to justify your stupid and blind hatred? Don't you realize you only demean and denigrate yourselves in the process. You certainly don't impress the intelligent participants here.

Pretty emotional here over a silly little watch that will seem archaic Ina few years. Are you ok bud?

Boomish69

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2012
London
No need for a watch but in the UK Apple Pay rocks, I use on the train and in my local supermarket, coffee's etc so stupid we had to wait so long to get it!!

robeddie

Suspended
Jul 21, 2003
Atlanta
I'm quite fine. And I'm very thankful I am not like you in any way. Have a good life there, little man.

Ok, I will. It's just that you have posted so vehemently about all the hate here (and about 10 times) yet your posts are filled with the kind of anger above. It's just kind of ironic imo. Bye now.

bniu

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2010
Society is getting lazier and lazier. Too much effort with a wallet eh? Sheesh.

It's 2015 now, I'm wishing that we could further along. I see a future where I can be able to ditch my keys, wallet, and phone and simply use my watch to do everything I need. Imagine paying for everything with Apple Pay on your watch, being able to badge into your apartment complex with your watch, unlock your door with your watch, receive and make phone calls directly on your watch without needing a phone nearby, being able to unlock and start your car from your watch, and all this with a battery that will last all week, on top of all the things it already does today...it will be the watch that "only does everything"! The Apple Watch is a complete paradigm shift into what a watch will do and it will only get better each generation and I'll probably be buying the next few iterations to take maximum advantage of these new ways.

johngordon

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2004
Society is getting lazier and lazier. Too much effort with a wallet eh? Sheesh.

Are you the guy who said this in 1973:

Society is getting lazier and lazier. Too much effort to get of the sofa and change the tv channel? Sheesh.

I think its more about convenience than laziness - for example, if you are carrying a few bags already and buying something, its just less hassle to use your wrist than get your wallet out.

Also eliminates the possibility of then leaving your wallet in the shop because you put it down briefly to pick up your bags and forgot to pick it up.

Of course that's an extreme example, and I certainly wouldn't buy an Apple Watch just for that - but I think in time as the price comes down for wearables, and there are enough use case scenarios for enough people, then more and more people will come to value those little conveniences, without meaning they are lazy.

whiteonline

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2011
California, USA
You don't need your iPhone with you to use Apple Pay on the watch.
It's still far from "amazing". The watch doesn't actually do anything notable. It just provides an authentication method to enable the apple pay services on the back end to process payment.

But hey, you're a fan of it. That's all good. Enjoy.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
I gotta say, I love my Apple Pay by watch! I really wish it were more wide spread. I really like the peace of mind that comes from not swiping the magstrip. It'll probably get hacked eventually, but for now I really wish it was on more gas pumps...

I don't have an Apple Pay enabled phone, so I don't know, but I suspect the ease of use isn't nearly the same. I still think it would be more secure, but the tradeoff versus pulling a card is smaller.
Not making assumptions about intelligence here. Credit card companies know a ton about human psychology and the fact that, on average, the less tactile a purchase is, the more detached people are from the actual dollars being added to their CC account. This results in spending more, which is exactly what makes CC co's money.
Then in the interest of protecting people from themselves, let's just eliminate credit cards, checkbooks, apple watches, etc. Only cash.

So sad that you don't understand personal responsibility. That you would condemn and blame a credit card or iPhone, or watch for making people spend more money than if they used cash is simply the desperate statement of an apple hater and basher. Surely you've sent letters to Master Card etc blasting them for making people waste their hard earned income on unnecessary purchases. For if you haven't but yet condemn apple, you are a hypocrite.
Both of these views can be simultaneously valid, you realize. It is true that companies spend a lot of time trying to manipulate psychology to boost sales in ways that aren't evident to the consumer. One of the ways credit card companies do that is to avoid triggering the parts of your brain that recognize you are giving something and tickling the parts that recognize you're getting something.

It's not about blaming credit cards, or Apple. It doesn't necessarily mean we need to shred every credit card out there, or ban Apple Pay-- as consumers we need to be aware we're being manipulated, and as a society we need to be aware of the dangers it causes. Depending on the economic footing of the society, encouraging growing consumer debt may not be a good thing-- it's about more than personal responsibility. This is a place where lack of individual discipline can impact the lives of others.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.