Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Beyond casing material and band, there are no other obvious customization options for the Apple Watch, but one product is aiming to change that. WatchDots are small, colorful vinyl stickers that change the look of the Apple Watch's Digital Crown and side button.

WatchDots come in six colors and were conceived as a way for Apple Watch Sport owners to match their Digital Crowns to their bands, mimicking the colored Digital Crowns on some of the gold Edition Apple Watches. Colors mainly match the Sport bands, in black, white, blue, pink, and green, but there's also a red option to mimic Tim Cook's own Apple Watch, which has a red Digital Crown.

whitewatchdots-800x600.jpg

I have a stainless steel Apple Watch with a white Sport Band, so I ordered the matching white WatchDots to give them a try (I also ordered pink, but those are backordered). It's hard to wax poetic about a set of nondescript vinyl stickers, but I like the WatchDots. They tie the look of the band to the look of the Apple Watch, and they've also drawn a lot of notice -- not from the general public, but from other Apple Watch owners.

blackwatchdots-800x600.jpg

WatchDots cost $9.99, which is a bit expensive given their size in relation to a vinyl sticker you might get for your iPhone or MacBook. For that price, you get three sets of dots in your chosen color (with 3 dots for the Digital Crown and three dots for the side button), along with a bonus set in another color (mine was black).

Click here to read more...

Article Link: Review: Customize Your Apple Watch's Digital Crown and Side Button With WatchDots

hlfway2anywhere

Cancelled
Jul 15, 2006
A) not for $9.99
B) i need to see higher resolution photographs to even consider something like this. i need to see exactly how these look as if my eyeball were practically up on it so i can decide if these look as "cheap" as i feel like they're going to.

BMcCoy

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2010
I'm trying not to be rude, but doesn't that cheapen the look of the watch?

The white sport band is part of it, but that looks like a $10 watch from a market stall..

jephrey

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2005
It's only my opinion, but this is laughable... Next will be themed Hello Kitty stickers. I've never faulted macrumors for reviewing a product until now. This is like a review for a $1 phone case from the dollar store. This deserves 0 attention. I'm surprised there's not a drawing.

I'll take some jewel stickers out of my daughter's bracelet set and stick them to the crown so it's bedazzled.

:(

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
My own suggestion was emoji WatchDots, a request Fornier says the WatchDots team is looking into as part of an expansion into graphics, icons, and other custom designs, so at some point in the future, we may be able to decorate our Apple Watches with smileys, hearts, and other little characters.

Don't forget to have skin tone modifiers.

Reactions: AngerDanger

ABCDEF-Hex

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2013
NC
Yep - this is Apple's target demographic. The few people who want to "customize" their classic Apple watch design with vinyl stickers.

Reactions: flyinmac

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
Yep - this is Apple's target demographic. The few people who want to "customize" their classic Apple watch design with vinyl stickers.

Customizing is HUGE in Asia. They buy old Macs (the original iBooks are still huge) and customize the heck out of them. I'm talking fur and all kinds of weird stuff. The original book, The Cult Of Mac, covered this a decent bit and showed some interesting examples.

Reactions: jclo

Ed217

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2012
Virginia
And for an extra 9.99 the firm will have someone call you and say "WOW WOW WOW"...

Each feature seems of equal value.

h00ligan

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2003
London
That's a ridiculous price point for $.01 of sticker. Fortunately they'll quickly be lit in their place by $1 knockoffs from China - where these are likely printed anyway. And for once a company deserves it.

$10 for the equivalent of hole punch leftovers. Please.

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
$10!? I work in vinyl! I could make those for a nickel of product. I should just making them for $5 to cover the time of making them and shipping them still plenty of profit. $10 is ludicrous

Reactions: laurihoefs

HopefulHumanist

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2015
I like the idea but not these guys. $10 for a sticker that doesn't even cover the crown completely? Who needs three sets of stickers for their watch? And if they had to make three sets, why not vary the size a bit?

I'll be looking forward to the Chinese knock-offs.

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
This is one of those times I wonder if humanity has a future after all if it can create things like this

groovyd

Suspended
Jun 24, 2013
Atlanta
Life is indeed good when this is what you find yourself saving up for. This is how you know you have finally made it.

Jemi9OD

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2010
Durham, NC
You know, this may not be for everybody, but I don't fault MR for spending time doing a good review. Yeah, it'd be far cheaper to find a piece of vinyl and cut it yourself, but then you'd have to figure out how to get the cuts right. These guys have already done the tooling to get the sizes right, so I don't begrudge them the ability to sell to those who may be interested. I do feel that $10 might be a bit much - but then again those that want them will get them and those who don't won't.

h00ligan

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2003
London
You know I'd like to revise my earlier opinion. The Chinese knockoffs won't even be charged for they will be add-ons when you buy a watch band adapter

Reactions: Jemi9OD
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.