Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
If only Apple would have included that sexy red sports band! Damn! I would have definitely picked that up!

diegogaja

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2009
Joni is also a nickname. It's short for Joan (her middle name)

The vast majority of English speakers will look at Jony and Joni and say them as intended (Johnny and Joanie respectively).

Fair enough, it shows "Jony", but he still wouldn't look round if you called out "Hey, Joe-knee"!

If you shouted Jonny (rhymes with Bonnie (& Clyde)), you'd have his attention for sure.

Here's another "Joe-knee" ;-)

http://jonimitchell.com

Last edited:

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
Red band should be offered to everyone, it is a great band colour.

No way. It should be exclusive and only available to wealthy, important people who are in the spotlight. It should be something for the common man to lust after.

cjbryce

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2008
London
Ok this is getting ridiculous. Apple needs to spend less time designing custom watches for their marketing purposes and more time producing the actual consumer watches that they are unable to ship until the bloody summer.

And yet here we are commenting on a sterling piece of marketing which I'd give my marketing staff loads of Brownie points for.

On a totally unrelated subject, what's your area of expertise, DaveTheExpert?

PJL500

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2011
I never understood the reason behind so many different sizes of plugs. But again I never understood so many TV standards (PAL / NTSC)
Sizes of plugs? It goes back to the time when electricity was invented. The US had a huge supply of copper from mines as far as south America. Europe, not so much. So the US could afford to go with safer 110 Volts at destination (resulting in twice the copper thickness for transmission wires) and Europe went with 220 Volts resulting in half that thickness for transmission wires. So safety being a concern at 220 Volts that heavy-duty snap-in style connector plug is necessary because 220 Volts *will* fry (not only you but) any improper insulation (distance) between the plug pins. The flimsy US connector was fine for 110 Volts.

Regarding PAL/NTSC: Europe was/is metric-centric. The electric clock was one of the first major applications of the electric motor. The US thought it would make sense to make the clock motor (windings) at 60Hz (60 seconds etc) and Europe stuck to 50Hz. Little did they realize that, by using differing standards, they were setting the stage for PAL and NTSC; NTSC is generally used in countries with a utility frequency of 60 Hz and PAL in countries with 50 Hz, although there are now many exceptions. This has to do with alternating current in artificial light (tv studios) meets fps in video cameras (phasing) and maybe even cathode ray tube display operation. PAL also came after NTSC and it set standards to improve color handling and other improvements were added - (res was 20% greater than NTSC, conversion was easier etc.)

That's the gist of it. It began with Solomon R Guggenheim's dad Meyer in the mid 1800's and his fascination with metals and eventually mining and processing. He started out pushing a pram around Philadelphia collecting bits of scrap copper etc. Then he bought up mines, started smelting and when electricity hit - ka-ching!

Last edited:

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
Yeah, he said he put it on wrong on Twitter.

I have never accidentally worn a watch band incorrectly before... Apple promotes themselves as being focused on simplicity, yet they've made the first watch that someone could accidentally wear incorrectly????

I wouldn't have ever thought something so simple could be made that complicated.

How odd....

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
Joni is also a nickname. It's short for Joan (her middle name)

The vast majority of English speakers will look at Jony and Joni and say them as intended (Johnny and Joanie respectively).

isn't Joni long for Joan?
:)

that aside, I think more people would see Jony and think it rhymes with pony.

----------

. So the US could afford to go with safer 110 Volts at destination (resulting in twice the copper thickness for transmission wires) and Europe went with 220 Volts resulting in half that thickness for transmission wires. So safety being a concern at 220 Volts that heavy-duty snap-in style connector plug is necessary because 220 Volts *will* fry (not only you but) any improper insulation (distance) between the plug pins. The flimsy US connector was fine for 110 Volts.
I think you have that backwards, right?
double voltage requires 1/2 the amperage to equal the same wattage.. Amps kill.. not volts. (as in, tasers are like 50,000 volts or so)

mrklaw

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2008
Compact charger is nice. Nokia did them a few years ago, they do a USB version too

rriOyFZ.jpg

Littleman

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2008
That plug looks a game changer for the uk market.
UK plugs are so annoying to pack. This solves the problem. Well done.

AndyUnderscoreR

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2008

We took the name Jonathan and looked at it in a different way. We used new materials to craft a Y where nobody else thought there should be one. We didn't just stop at Jonny though, we took out the duplication, to make the lightest, thinnest abbreviation for my name there's ever been.

(cue Samsung fans pointing out that they employ someone called Jon, and that's shorter).

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
I would suspect that would be a very bad move as they would be much more dangerous in the long run than a normal plug, and also less able to handle high currents.

For low current uses like this, and as long as they are not too old, they are probably ok though.

Sorry, I wasn't clear - I just meant all my Apple charger plugs.

Why should they be dangerous anyway? I assume they contain the normal safety features (see that thread a while back about how super-safe UK plugs are).

cr2

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2011
It is the way it is for very specific design reasons. Some I think are not so needed these days but here is the full answer if you want to spend 5 minutes --
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEfP1OKKz_Q
Nice video, I never complained about British plugs but why american plugs don't have a mandatory ground. Even many wires which comes with appliances have no quality control. (e.g. compare you Macbook Charger cable before the brick to you toaster cable).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.