Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released a new web tool for users to deregister their phone number from iMessage in the event they switched to a non-Apple device. To deregister a phone number from iMessage, users simply enter their phone number in Apple's web tool, receive a free text message containing a code, and submit the code to complete the process. Users who still have their original iPhone can also transfer their SIM card back to the device and go to Settings -> Messages to turn iMessage off.

deregisterimessage.jpg
Users switching from an iPhone to another device were often unable to receive SMS messages from another iPhone due to their phone number still being linked to iMessage. These specific errors with iMessage have been a well-known issue since 2011, which is when the messaging service debuted with iOS 5. They were also made even more apparent this past May, where a server glitch caused widespread message delivery problems. Apple was even sued over the matter in a California court, although the company claimed that it was aware of the issue and could not provide a fix.

Apple's web tool for deregistering phone numbers from iMessage is available now.

Article Link: Apple Launches Web Tool to Deregister Phone Numbers from iMessage

ccrunner_tj

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2010
West Lafayette, IN
This was very much needed. When my roommate switched to a Galaxy S5 from an iPhone, it was a mess to get his iMessage issue fixed. Luckily the problem arose before he had gotten rid of his old phone so the fix wasn't so hard. But this tool will be very nice for people who sell their phones prior to getting their new ones.

TimelessOne

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2014
This is several years over due. It is sad it took a law suit for apple to fix the basic flaw in their system making like hell if you wanted to leave iOS. It showed apple's shear arrogance that they thought no one would want to leave. This should of been done very early on and code wise is fairly easy to do unless your db designed is complete and utter crap.

One simple SQL statement is all it should of taken and then the code to fire up.

Delete from phonenumber where number =?.
Something like that. Nothing crazy as it should be in a separate table. Workaround is set said phone number to "" or null.

PowerBook-G5

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2013
Apple was (most likely) very reluctant to create this, as it makes it easier for people to move to Android and other types phones now :p

Last edited:

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
I have a different problem. I am unable to authenticate my iCloud keychain because I cancelled my original contract and switched to a GoPhone plan, pay-per-month, changing my phone number. The iCloud Keychain Authenticate wants to send a text message to my old phone number, which I cannot receive.

Therefore, I have been unable to authenticate my iCloud keychain on my iPhone since upgrading to iOS 8 because the thing wants to use my old phone number.

starnox

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2005
This is several years over due. It is sad it took a law suit for apple to fix the basic flaw in their system making like hell if you wanted to leave iOS. It showed apple's shear arrogance that they thought no one would want to leave. This should of been done very early on and code wise is fairly easy to do unless your db designed is complete and utter crap.

One simple SQL statement is all it should of taken and then the code to fire up.

Something like that. Nothing crazy as it should be in a separate table. Workaround is set said phone number to "" or null.

Haha this is comical

Alenore

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2013

What makes you think they even use SQL in the first place. In the real world everything isn't as easy as deleting a database record.

BruiserB

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2008
I have a different problem. I am unable to authenticate my iCloud keychain because I cancelled my original contract and switched to a GoPhone plan, pay-per-month, changing my phone number. The iCloud Keychain Authenticate wants to send a text message to my old phone number, which I cannot receive.

Therefore, I have been unable to authenticate my iCloud keychain on my iPhone since upgrading to iOS 8 because the thing wants to use my old phone number.

Go to http://appleid.apple.com and sign in. You might need your recovery key if you enabled two step authentication and no longer have access to any of your devices you originally authorized.

Once you are there you can select password and security and add or remove trusted devices and numbers.

RoyalElephant

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2013
Incredible how long this took. I've switched back and forth between an iPhone and an Android phone a couple times and I personally never encountered this issue because I was fortunate enough to have already known how to prevent it, by disabling iMessage before transfering the sim.

I'm glad it has been fixed.

rumplestiltskin

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2006
I think I've already done the steps they recommend but decided to try their tool. Nope. Doesn't work. They couldn't send me the text message.

This is a cluster-you-know-what of the first order. As much as I love my Mac, I'm glad I switched away from my 4S to a Nexus 5.

joshuarayer

Suspended
Jan 28, 2009
What makes you think they even use SQL in the first place. In the real world everything isn't as easy as deleting a database record.

Except that it might be that simple and the form to de-register may very well be doing just that.

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
BruiserB said:
Once you are there you can select password and security and add or remove trusted devices and numbers.

Well thanks...I tried this and added my new mobile number, but it did not work. My iPhone still wants to send me my verification code to my old number. Still don't know why it is doing this, or if it is something programmed into the phone.

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
Go to http://appleid.apple.com and sign in. You might need your recovery key if you enabled two step authentication and no longer have access to any of your devices you originally authorized.

My guess is that this new tool is doing exactly what you've stated here, albeit in a faster, roundabout way.

DaBooch

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
Nope! Still borked

Tried this, waited half an hour, then tried to text my phone from my wife's iPhone. Still no luck. It automatically comes up with "iMessage" as the type of message she's sending. And when she hits Send, it just says that it failed. She can then click "Send as Text Message", which works, but she has to do that for every single text message. It never resets back to plain text messages.
I expect that deleting the contact might work, but once again, that is not a solution. The solution should be between me and Apple, and not something my friends and relatives have to bother with.
I did try deleting the phone number from the contact and re-sending. Still no luck.
This is really so abysmal. At this point, I'm going to recommend that my wife not get an iPhone when she upgrades. Apple's broken the primary use for a phone: communication.

sualpine

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2013
You have to go to a website? Too much effort if it's not ESPN or Pinterest, said everyone in the US.

jont-fu

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2008
Except that it might be that simple and the form to de-register may very well be doing just that.

At least they need to verify that you are the owner of the phone number. Now, with this tool you can send the verification message to any phone number you know that is using iMessage, waking people up at night. Still not the best solution.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Made sure my phone number was unregistered. When I went to unregister my wife's phone number I got a "You have reached the maximum number of retries. Please try again later." Really? 2 attempts is too much? Idiotic.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.