Apple website VS Windows website

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by JW8725, Jun 27, 2005.

1. JW8725 macrumors 6502a

Now here me....

A websites main function is to convey information and to make that information as easy to comprehend and to find as possible right?

Take a leaf from apples notebook. Their site is simple, easy to navigate thru, why even my mom can do it!

Now look over your shoulder and goto the microsoft site. All that Flash crap makes me wanna puke! I tried to find mediaplayer. A simple thing yet it was soooo confusing to find.

2. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

While I think the Apple site is a little better - the MS site isn't as bad as you say. And if you want to find things, you just have to put it in the search. I think they're main problem is they're trying to show too much. Apple has the tabs across the top, so things are nicely sectioned off to avoid clutter.

D

3. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Apple's website is one of the easiest websites to navigate around, that I've experienced. Most of the content can easily fit in a screenful. Microsoft suffers from information overload. I tried downloading for some Microsoft mouse drivers, and the way it's set up, it's very difficult to get to where you want to go with less than 4 mouse clicks. Apple's products and downloads are reachable within 3 mouse clicks. Searching for something you are looking for is such a cope-out.

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I find it really hard to find downloads on Microsoft's website. I usually end up going to Download.com or PCWorld.com looking for Intellimouse software and PowerToys.

5. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

so many songs look like apple's sites that have noting to do with computers copy apple great design

6. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I think that the websites work very much like the computers and operating system. Apple also makes computers that are easier to use.

7. JW8725 thread starter macrumors 6502a

8. stridey macrumors 65816

stridey

I wonder why Educational is so small? Is MS admitting that they don't care about students?

9. The_Man macrumors 6502

The_Man

I went to the windows website, and as soon as I clicked on one of those stupid people, my computer froze up and I wasnt able to do anything. I eventually had to restart (my PC) because of that crappy website.

10. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

cuz if ur get an education you will know OSX is better

11. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Since you said it so very clear, you must like Windows... :eek:

12. JW8725 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I've just realised I really dislike microsoft. Is there a club I can join? Bill Gates has ruined the internet with his stoooopid vision of how it should be.

13. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

Apple makes bad sites also. Check out www.mac.com. The new .Mac website is awful. I never can find anything!

14. Sirus The Virus macrumors 6502a

Sirus The Virus

At least it looks nice. I have never had a problem finding anything on the .mac page, but every single time I do a search on Apple's website I don't find what I'm looking for.

15. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Well, maybe what you're looking for isn't there.

16. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

The Microsoft website could reduce a lot of clutter by taking out plugs for its own stuff, IE MSN. Otherwise, it isn't a half bad site. I still prefer Apple's though... :rolleyes:

17. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

there's only one thing wrong about that site - it costs too much. i could pay ten dollars a year for the services they offer, but not any more than that.

18. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

Microsoft has also been polluting my TV with its various Advetisements for XP, they are terrible and would definatly not tempt me back to the world of windows. The same goes for there website i feel they could do much better.....

ShadOW :cool:

19. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

I think that barefeats site is also awful. It's almost unreadable! :mad:

20. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

The Mactopia or MacBU (just typing that made me groan!) homepage is slightly better. To be fair the website isn't that bad but, like others have said, it does suffer from information overload and has a very "templatey" look/feel to it.

As corporate sites go I've always quite liked Macromedia, although it looks like they're going down the same road as MS and overloading their frontpage.

Apple.com really does stand head and shoulders above the rest. I particularly like how they manage to incorporate a more professional template into the overall theme of the site. It's amazing to think that the basic layout of Apple's site has remained unchanged for years, here's an apt screenshot from 1998 and an eerily familiar one from 2000. Good design is good design.

21. edwin.bossier macrumors newbie

Oh, you are so wrong man, NEVER say ANYTHING bad from Apple, don't you know that rule by now!
    If you read Apple just answer GOOD
    If you read Microsoft just answer BAD
    No need to think or doubt about that
    This way you'll fit nicely in most of these Apple fora!

22. Passante macrumors 6502a

Passante

Troll on baby! :rolleyes: