Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iPhone-6s-Colors-250x345.jpg
One of the less talked about new features introduced in iOS 9 last month is called "Wi-Fi Assist," which automatically switches a user's iPhone to a cellular data connection when the local Wi-Fi isn't reliable.

Many iPhone users have taken to Reddit and the MacRumors Forums to warn others about the possibility of an increased monthly data plan due to the new feature, but now Apple is getting out in front of the issue and attempting to ease the qualms of its customers with a new support document centering on the issue (via Six Colors).

According to Apple, when a user sees the switch from Wi-Fi to cellular data while browsing an internet page in Safari, for example, they should only see a "small percentage" hike in data usage. The company also detailed which apps support the feature -- Apple Music, Mail, Maps, Safari, etc -- and still gave those concerned a step-by-step process to turn off Wi-Fi Assist. It ended the new support doc with a bullet list of interesting tidbits about the feature.
-Wi-Fi Assist will not automatically switch to cellular if you're data roaming.
-Wi-Fi Assist only works when you have apps running in the foreground and doesn't activate with background downloading of content.
-Wi-Fi Assist doesn't activate with some third-party apps that stream audio or video, or download attachments, like an email app, as they might use large amounts of data.
Wi-Fi Assist is supported on any device that runs iOS 9 or later, excluding iPhone 4s, iPad 2, iPad (3rd generation), and iPad mini (1st generation). If the support document doesn't entirely ease your concerns, go to Settings > Cellular, and scroll down to underneath the full list of apps that use cellular data to find Wi-Fi Assist's on/off toggle.

Article Link: Apple Attempts to Ease Concerns Over Wi-Fi Assist Data Usage

gbdavid

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2014
I don't understand what's the big deal with this. If you don't want to use your phone data, then disable it all together, but of course if your mobile data is better than wi-fi, you should use it to improve your experience. In fact, before this feature existed I just disabled Wi-fi all together (I still do) when I went to the city because trying to login to those 'free' hotspots from cafes is a nightmare, never mind the speed they offer.

Last edited:

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
I have been on iOS 9 since public beta 1 and I have not seen any major increase in my cellular data consumption. Then again, I usually have good wifi at home and at work and at starbucks and almost anywhere I go. I also have 30gig plan so I rarely worry about my consumption. But to this issue I looked at my usage over the last several months and i had .8GB in June, 1.4 in July, 1.6 in August and .8 in September. So during my vacation trips my usage when up a bit, but overall there is no change.

mitty

macrumors regular
May 21, 2010
Melbourne
I don't understand what's the big deal with this. If you don't want to use your phone data, then disable it all together, but of course if your mobile data is better than wi-fi, you should use it to improve your experience. In fact, before this feature existed I just disabled Wi-fi all together (I still do) when I went to the city because trying to login to those 'free' hotspots from cafes is a nightmare, never mind the speed they offer.
Not all of us have unlimited data plans. If I go over my 5gb data limit it costs me $10 AUD per gb. So yeah this should be off by default

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA
If you don't like it, just turn it off. People will whine about anything these days.
I suspect the issue is the typical user wont even know its there so wont be turning it off (its on by default). Its a great idea and should be a great tool but I think a lot of folks have lost trust in Apple's coding and will be afraid that it will "kick in" randomly and possibly when its not really needed and use up their data.

Reactions: V.K. and Porco

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
"Just turn it off" is easy to say when you know the feature exists.

If you don't, it's pretty unlikely that you'd find out just by messing around in Settings. It's at the very bottom of a very long list of apps after all, where you wouldn't expect to find additional settings.

I've had a few non-techies around me talk to me of this feature. None of them had heard about it through iOS, they knew because of mainstream media (TV, radio, journals, non-tech websites) warning people against it.

I think Apple should at the very least give that toggle more visibility, and consider making the feature opt-in rather than opt-out.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
I don't even know why this is a big deal. From my experience the phone still hangs onto a weak wifi signal too long and I end up having to just turn off wifi to force LTE so that my stuff actually loads.

guitarman777

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2005
Orlando, FL
It becomes a problem when you're not aware how much it's actually happening. Switching off WiFi to force the phone to LTE manually means you're in control, but WiFi Assist likely isn't quite as discriminating. I'm also not convinced that it "doesn't activate with background downloading of content." I think it'd be nice if it did, but my own tests seem to prove otherwise.

Reactions: milo

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
I don't even know why this is a big deal. From my experience the phone still hangs onto a weak wifi signal too long and I end up having to just turn off wifi to force LTE so that my stuff actually loads.

A lot of people were not aware this was added to iOS. For those on a very restrictive mobile data plan, it potentially is a big deal for them and a very expensive one when the next bills roll in.

I think the majority of customers will have heavily capped data plans and therefore I think realistically it would be better if the option defaulted off. But I can understand why Apple doesn't want a feature they regard as being truly innovative and useful turned off by most customers.

Also in my experience with the feature, wifi dropping one bar was enough to trigger wifi assist to kick in. Interesting that it varies dramatically for different customers.

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
Yeah, I do think this setting should come automatically off, not on. There are far too many people who had no idea that setting was even there. I'm lucky I've got unlimited data but there are many out there who don't. Any bit of spike in usage, regardless of how insignificant, could cost them more money involuntarily and without them knowing why...

AcesHigh87

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2009
New Brunswick, Canada
Why not just have a pop up on the phone when it switches over to data, with an explanation of how to turn the feature off, so that users know it's happening and can stop it if they don't want it?

I get the usefulness of it, especially for people with large data plans, but some of us don't have that luxury. In Canada unlimited data is beyond ridiculously expensive so most people have 1GB or less and would t want this feature on (at least not all the time) but they don't know about it.

A simple pop up, similar to the low battery warning, would suffice if you ask me. Then people know when it's happening and can decide if they want it to or not.

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
It's on by default.
Apple seems to recognize that this is a potential problem with cellular data caps.
Apple recognizes that this is specifically problem with streaming music.
Apple enables it for Apple Music.

This explanation makes their decision seem even more absurd.

Reactions: Nermal and milo

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
The "concern" is that the default is set to use wifi assist. And unless you know about it/are looking for the support doc, you may not know that it's on. And will use cellular data when you might not want to.
It was in the release notes. If people can't read that's there issue

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.